PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail

B.M.
02-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I got the attached message, supposedly from Hotmail and I'm in two minds about it.

So, did anyone else get one, or is this yet another “Click Here” and you’ll wish you hadn’t type message?

:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Probably fake, delete it

Scubadoo
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
"Probably" Lots of smiley faces.

B.M.
02-02-2011, 12:30 PM
A couple more clues.

A sueannflyn@hotmail.com appears to be the sender

and a Dick Craddock of Hotmail the author.

(see below)

Anyone care to suggest a response to Sue or Ann or Ms Flyn or Dick Craddock?

I'm not sure how to parcel a bomb in an E-Mail! ;)

MushHead
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I call scam.

If you're truly worried about the status of your Hotmail account, DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL!!!

Instead, log in using your normal method. I know Hotmail used to clean up old (at least 6 months??), unused addresses, so there is a ring of truth in the message. Failing that, if you're not using your account, just don't, and let it expire naturally.

bevy121
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
LOL - take your pick

http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=800&bih=436&q=dear+Account+user%2C+this+message+is+from+our+da ta+base+center+to+all+hotmail+account+holders&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=97cb41ffb2ed02e2

none of those type of things are genuine.....ever!

B.M.
02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
LOL - take your pick

http://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=800&bih=436&q=dear+Account+user%2C+this+message+is+from+our+da ta+base+center+to+all+hotmail+account+holders&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=97cb41ffb2ed02e2

none of those type of things are genuine.....ever!

Thanks guys and bevy for the link. :thumbs: (Google didn’t find it for me) :crying

Yes, I thought it may be a rort, but thought if I wasn’t sure myself the smart thing was to ask.

My next question is, what do these pricks hope to achieve with an E-Mail like this?

Did they hope to be able to access my computer looking for banking account numbers or passwords? :confused:

These guys went to a hell of a lot of trouble, so they must be looking for financial gain somewhere down the line. :confused:

Snorkbox
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
@BM

Post enough spam and there are people who get sucked in. Simple really.

B.M.
03-02-2011, 07:29 AM
@BM

Post enough spam and there are people who get sucked in. Simple really.

Yes but sucked into what?

Clearly following their instructions was aimed at achiving something?

Did they hope to be able to access my Hotmail Account, and if so what are they hoping to find amongst my mail of value?

Could they actually access my computer via a Hotmail Account? I wouldn't have thought so?

Spam is one thing, but this has a different twist. :rolleyes:

darthcarnate
04-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Access your account, hopefully there are emails there with details from bank accounts, credit cards, Paypal, even Trademe or eBay.
Also, then they can use your account to send spam.

darthcarnate
04-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Very obviously fake, look at a genuine Hotmail email and it's got a load of header images and styling/branding, not to mention the terrible grammar - capitalisation in the middle of a sentence, awkward wording, "you fill the information below"?.