PDA

View Full Version : new wireless setup with extender

FAB
01-02-2011, 10:13 AM
HI all

I've been asked to setup a wireless network in a largish building for a non-profit.

I am fairly certain the signal would not extend from the front of the building (where the main AP would be) to the rear/upstairs of the building, which is needed.

I haven't got a big budget for this (around $300 max) - I am seeking advice on the best gear for this job. I know you can buy wlan range extenders, but do these range extenders allow for the setup from the 'main' AP only? I don't want to have to run two different wlan setups from different web interfaces, other than the initial setup.

Sorry if this sounds confusing. I do want just one single SSID/WPA2 etc but through a single web interface address that controls both the main AP and the range extender (or just another AP).

As I say I haven't had any experience using range extenders so am not sure how they are used/setup.

They have Xtra ADSL currently and I'm happy to change their existing DLINK router/model for a new router/modem/AP if that's what's required.

Cheers for any help.

FAB
02-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Blatant bump - no one here with experience using wireless extenders, and the time to reply?

SolMiester
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I would move the AP to the center of the building from the front.....otherwise you are wasting half the signal outside the building

Chilling_Silence
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
That, and ditch the D-Link, as the D-Link modems are known not to play nice with certain repeaters. Had no end of troubles with them using DD-WRT.

Get yourself a nice NetComm NB6Plus4Wn, then get something like a couple of Accton MR3201a routers from TradeMe (New for around $60) and put a slightly bigger antenna on them.

Whack DD-WRT on them in repeater-bridge mode:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Keep in mind that when you do repeater-bridge mode or similar, you're halving the effective speed of the wireless, as wireless is half-duplex only it can either send or receive, so to "forward" the information you're going to basically lose 50% of the available bandwidth. Not a big issue for most, if you can get good signal strength so the routers connect at 54mbps, but worth mentioning.