PDA

View Full Version : Paul Brislen - changes his spots again

Digby
01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I see Paul Brislen has been appointed head of TUANZ!

This is unbelievable, as the ex pr guy for Vodafone, he defended the duopoly that Ernie Newman fought for years against.

Now he is supposed to be an advocate for us mobile users!

How can that guy sleep at night?

R2x1
01-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Actually, I expect he plans to sleep all day.

Chilling_Silence
01-02-2011, 08:47 AM
This was announced ages ago wasn't it ?

Nomad
01-02-2011, 09:12 AM
he used to work for PC World some moons ago right ..

mikebartnz
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I see Paul Brislen has been appointed head of TUANZ!

This is unbelievable, as the ex pr guy for Vodafone, he defended the duopoly that Ernie Newman fought for years against.

Now he is supposed to be an advocate for us mobile users!

Probably sleeps better than you the way you are always getting your knickers in a twist about anything or anyone to do with Vodafone.:)

Siobhan Keogh
01-02-2011, 01:45 PM
He talks about it here:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10703274

Basically says that was his job and he does what his job requires. Everyone's job requires them to do things they don't like at some point, I guess.

R2x1
01-02-2011, 03:26 PM
His job sometimes required him to things nobody liked ;)

Digby
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Probably sleeps better than you the way you are always getting your knickers in a twist about anything or anyone to do with Vodafone.:)

I just don't like the way we are overchared for mobile phones in NZ compared to the rest of the world.

If you don't mind that's your problem.

Snorkbox
01-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Do what I do. Don't own a mobile phone then you won't have to pay.

John H
01-02-2011, 04:12 PM
(snip)
Basically says that was his job and he does what his job requires. Everyone's job requires them to do things they don't like at some point, I guess.

Well Siobhan, that is pretty fair summary of how we prostitute ourselves in employment! Present company excepted of course!

mikebartnz
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
I just don't like the way we are overchared for mobile phones in NZ compared to the rest of the world.

It's not a problem.
Well my phone bills are a hell of a lot cheaper than my having a land line (about half the price normally) and a lot more convenient.

Metla
01-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Well Siobhan, that is pretty fair summary of how we prostitute ourselves in employment! Present company excepted of course!

They couldn't pay me enough to be a slime ball.

that is to say....i have a price, i just doubt they would agree to it:nerd:

paulw
01-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Have you looked at the US and Canadian model recently?? Suggest you do and then report back..

Bobh
01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
It's not a problem.
Well my phone bills are a hell of a lot cheaper than my having a land line (about half the price normally) and a lot more convenient.

Yes cell phones can be a lot cheaper than a land line with fixed line rental if you do not make many calls. You can go prepaid with no monthly fees. People call you on urgent matters only as your caller has to pay to ring you. Also you get very few annoying calls from annoying telemarketers or scam merchants.

Digby
01-02-2011, 10:17 PM
It's not a problem.

We are not talking about land lines!
We are talking about mobile charges
If you are with Telecom or Vodafone you are paying too much
Two degrees are cheaper and if the two big telcos would drop their termination fees, 2 Degrees could be even cheaper again.

That is what they volunteered to drop over a few years (but did no) so the Commerce Commission is forcing them to drop it.

mikebartnz
01-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Yes cell phones can be a lot cheaper than a land line with fixed line rental if you do not make many calls. You can go prepaid with no monthly fees. People call you on urgent matters only as your caller has to pay to ring you. Also you get very few annoying calls from annoying telemarketers or scam merchants.
I'm on account.
They have to pay to call you full stop.
Some polling companies are now ringing cell phones.

mikebartnz
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
We are not talking about land lines!
We are talking about mobile charges
If you are with Telecom or Vodafone you are paying too much
Two degrees are cheaper and if the two big telcos would drop their termination fees, 2 Degrees could be even cheaper again.

That is what they volunteered to drop over a few years (but did no) so the Commerce Commission is forcing them to drop it.
I know you are not talking about land lines but I was just making the comment that cell phones can be a hell of a lot cheaper.
Quite frankly I think most people need to get a life as they feel deprived if they haven't used their cell phone for more than five minutes.
If the two big telcos dropped their termination fees it would be cheaper for everyone not just 2 degrees.
I looked at 2Degrees and they weren't going to be any cheaper for me.

paulw
02-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm on account.
They have to pay to call you full stop.
Some polling companies are now ringing cell phones.

Doesn't matter if your on prepay or account they still have to pay to call you..

John H
02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Brislen has just been interviewed by Kathryn Ryan on National Radio. As at 9.48am the audio had not been posted, but if you are interested you could check later at http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon

John H
02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
The interview has been loaded on the Nat Radio website - 14 mins long. Hear it all from the horse's mouth...

mikebartnz
02-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Doesn't matter if your on prepay or account they still have to pay to call you..
What do you think "They have to pay to call you full stop." means.:groan:

paulw
03-02-2011, 08:35 AM
What do you think "They have to pay to call you full stop." means.:groan:

The context of you reply was that you are on account so they have to pay for the call implying that if your on prepay they don't..

mikebartnz
03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
The context of you reply was that you are on account so they have to pay for the call implying that if your on prepay they don't..
The guy that I was replying to left the impression that if you are on account they don't have to pay.

Digby
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Yes Paul says things like if you don't like the price your telco charges for a service ring them up and tell them you are going to leave.

So how do you do that Paul ?

He says they hate losing customers.
Not really, when there are two main players what they lose, they win back.
They both had about 50% of the market.