PDA

View Full Version : PC Gear Dunedin *@*!$#@*!!

mchaggis
31-01-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm posting this as a WARNING to all others considering PC Gear Dunedin for anything!

My company ordered a PC and printer off these guys back in the beginning of November and the only thing they delivered on time was LIES!
Here we are 2 and a half months later and still no printer. The PC took 4 weeks to arrive!
We asked for our money back in late December but they are refusing to do this telling us more lies daily. Last Thursday they told us the printer had arrived and that they would deliver it to us that day. Today they are telling us there is no printer and they won't do anything.

And the worst thing... This business is owned by a Police Senior Sergeant.

AND its not the first time I've had issues and delays getting gear off them. Lesson learnt!

Take the advice and trade elsewhere.

pctek
31-01-2011, 02:07 PM
This business is owned by a Police Senior Sergeant.

Ex Police actually.

Mention CGA and if no joy, Disputes Tribunal.

BigBadBob
31-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I see the PC Gear website is selling PC's with i5 processors & LGA775 motherboards? Didn't know they were totally compatible!

BigBadBob
31-01-2011, 04:17 PM
.....or DDR3 RAM!

mchaggis
31-01-2011, 05:20 PM
People need to know these guys are full of it. Bad business.
Pass the message... Keep away! I wish I had.

Sliver
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
I have heard nothing but bad stories about PC Gear and their level of service. My flatmate also recently dealt with them and after 6 weeks of waiting for them to build a PC he finally demanded his money back. He found them very hard to contact, and when they did contact him their story changed each time as to why there were so many delays. I would warn anyone thinking about dealing with PC Gear to look for someone else becuase they appear to be totally unreliable and very unprofessional.

pctek
02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Well originally they were a franchise off Aucklands PC Gear. before Aklds PC Gear went into receivership and did a runner to Aussie.

bevy121
02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I went there once for some ram... they gave me the wrong ram even tho I had taken the old ram in with me for them to check.

Thinking they are knowing what they are doing, I didn't check
Then when I got home and went to fit the ram stick, I immediately saw it was wrong type and had to head back in to town to exchange it.(another 3/4 hour wasted traveling in and out again)

Then when I get there, they mucked about for 1/2 an hour before I got it exchanged (they didnt have any "on hand" and someone had to get it from wherever they "scored their spare stock")

Then they were whinging about giving me the difference in price back (about 12 dollars or something) and ended up giving me a credit note when I pushed them for a refund.

I will never go there again

and I STILL have their stinking credit note for 12 bucks... useless now of course, only valid for a year

Agent_24
02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Interesting, can't remember if I've ever bought anything from them or not, if I have, I guess I didn't have a problem or I would remember...

dian77
02-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Wow, thats sad OP

Reminds me of e-info

Nomad
02-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I bought a scanner rom e-info but used my c/c :p

I was at uni when I knew PC Gear. Only bought Windows 2k and they almost short changed me, they priced it as Windows ME/98 shoulda just walked out, dang. I asked them more about other stuff.

Deimos
03-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Wow, thats sad OP

Reminds me of e-info

I've heard a few people say they have a bad reputation, I've bought a few things from there and not had any problems yet...

Agent_24
03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
I can relate to that.

I've not had a problem with Super Cheap Computers, Even got a Video Card and RAM RMAd with no issue.

But everyone else says they are terrible.

pctek
03-02-2011, 11:50 AM
People say a shop is terrible when it becomes necessary to try to get a refund or replacement.
Not when they do the purchase generally.

I worked for the 1st PC Gear once and oh yeah he hated returns and would refuse to do them. I fought him endlessly about it.
He said he didn't care - he could get more customers.
Guess that worked huh - not. Seeing as he doesn't exist now.
And the Dunedin one was his other branch until the guy bought it from him. Guess he learnt from the master.

Agent_24
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
He said he didn't care - he could get more customers.
Guess that worked huh - not. Seeing as he doesn't exist now.

What a moron, sounds like he deserved it.

backovbeyond
16-02-2011, 07:29 AM
I just want to confirm the orginal poster's warning to STAY AWAY FROM PC GEAR (DUNEDIN). This guy is a thieving, lying, timewaster. I ordered a component which several weeks after its ETA has still not arrived. When I ask him/Darryl what's happening he says he'll update me or that he's sent the details through, which of course are all lies. I expect my request for a refund will be ignored meaning I'll need to go through the Disputes Tribunal to recover my money. Who needs this bs?

GameJunkie
16-02-2011, 07:55 AM
are you the user mchaggis and Sliver??

very strange that 3 new members who are posting here for the first time have the same issue with the same company.

i may be wrong though

backovbeyond
16-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi GameJunkie,

No, I'm neither of those users, and this is not a fake/sockpuppet account. I myself was surprised to find so many recent negative comments here, but then I also found overwhelmingly negative reviews on other sites going back a year or so, e.g. on PriceSpy (http://pricespy.co.nz/store.php?ftgid=8598). Maybe he's finally going under and is happy to fleece anyone he can, I don't know.

If anyone requires further evidence of my particular case I'm more than happy to send them my email correspondence with PCGear.

Cheers

gary67
16-02-2011, 11:27 AM
That's fine but we have ha people create multiple accounts before to do this type of thing, at least you came back and answered the question most don't

dcstaw
17-02-2011, 08:24 AM
My 2c worth; I've never brought anything from these guys but we did inherit a client from them; these muppets built the biggest POS SBS server I've ever seen; a 1u cheap and cheerful, no RAID (two drives fitted, raid controller installed, no array setup....) and over a dozen ports dutifully NATTed to the outside world - ok stuff like https and rww but dumb stuff like rpc. Muppets that get into building servers give it a bad name and build false expections around how much stuff costs; sure this server cost less than a grand installed, crashes every day though....

Glombatsch
25-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm posting this as a WARNING to all others considering PC Gear Dunedin for anything!

My company ordered a PC and printer off these guys back in the beginning of November and the only thing they delivered on time was LIES!
Here we are 2 and a half months later and still no printer. The PC took 4 weeks to arrive!
We asked for our money back in late December but they are refusing to do this telling us more lies daily. Last Thursday they told us the printer had arrived and that they would deliver it to us that day. Today they are telling us there is no printer and they won't do anything.

And the worst thing... This business is owned by a Police Senior Sergeant.

AND its not the first time I've had issues and delays getting gear off them. Lesson learnt!

Take the advice and trade elsewhere.

We bought a PC from PC Gear Dunedin last year in February. Delivery delay was 6 weeks and when we finally got it, it was only working for about 2 weeks. We had the motherboard and the graphics card replaced within the next 4 month and also got given 2 different Windows activation discs that both did NOT work. Our PC kept on shutting down and freezing and was not usable at all. The third activation disc finally activated Windows however our PC was still not working and the system kept on freezing and shutting down only minutes after we started the PC. The graphic cards fan was very noisy and although we complained about it many times, nothing has ever happened to fix that problem. After 6 month we asked for a full refund as the PC was still not working and we had to drop it back to the shop many times. PC Gear refused a refund because in their opinion we didnít give them the chance to fix the PC properly and according to the shop owner he could never find anything wrong with the computer and only replaced the motherboard and graphics card as precautionary steps. We took the computer to the ITS Help desk at the University of Otago so that a third independent person could have a look at it. The Manager there gave us a written confirmation that the PC is not working the way a new PC should work and that this is not acceptable. We contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau to help us out with the problems we had with PC Gear, however PC Gear still claimed that the PC was fine and we should give it back to them so that they could have another look at it. Finally, we lodged a claim with the Disputes Tribunal and won the case. Still, PC Gear wouldnít pay us out and we could not get hold of the shop owner at all. We contacted the collections unit and they sent out a bailiff to collect the money for us. We FINALLY received our money after 12 month of endless fighting to get the PC refunded. Thanks PC Gear for making our life so miserable during the last year. I'd have never thought that trading with a Senior Sergeant would be that awesul. Shocking!

pctek
25-03-2011, 02:50 PM
He always was the worlds worst tech.

John H
25-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Maybe he wasn't much good in the polis either?

The Error Guy
25-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Just because an ex copper runs it doesn't make is especially bad.

he could be ex for a reason. After all, its just a human in uniform. they aren't a special cyborg breed designed to be completely fair and forgiving

pctek
26-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Just because an ex copper runs it doesn't make is especially bad.

Nothing to do with his former job. He is and was a useless tech.