PDA

View Full Version : Gen 6 Nano not showing up

Myth
30-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Have been approached about how to add music to this. The nano runs fine, plays music etc, but when you plug it into a computer (PC), it does not register.
No prompt for drivers, cannot be found by the latest iTunes. As far as the computers concerned... it doesn't exist.

Have tried this on 3 computers (including Linux) and one 6 month old Asus laptop. Not one of them see it. Even re-installing iTunes does nothing. The nano is fully charged - so I know its not that.

Anyone else struck this? Have a fix?

All OS's are 32bit - except for the Linux machine. I see online that 64-bit has major issues with it.

GameJunkie
30-01-2011, 08:29 PM
have a look here
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1369

Myth
31-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Already been there

Nano is charged, have reset it, have the latest iTunes, uninstalled and then reinstalled iTunes, , ran updates on computer, uninstalled and then re-installed chipset drivers (for USB).

Don't know what else I can try

GameJunkie
31-01-2011, 08:35 AM
should be under warranty? take it back for a replacement

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Could be the cable if you're using USB. Since no computer can see it

I take it, you're using a USB cable / or dock?

Myth
31-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Thing is, when you plug it in; the nano lights up so I don't think it's the cable.

Also, the nano connects to another local computer and syncs no problem. I intend catching up with the owner as he knows ipods inside out, I know next to nothing about them. There must be something he is doing that I am missing

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Does it have the hold / lock switch on it like some older Ipods? Maybe its on. If it is, It needs to be switched the other way. The PC's it wont work on, I take it youre plugging it into the USB port not a hub?

icow
31-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Thing is, when you plug it in; the nano lights up so I don't think it's the cable.

Also, the nano connects to another local computer and syncs no problem. I intend catching up with the owner as he knows ipods inside out, I know next to nothing about them. There must be something he is doing that I am missing

Could still be cable. The cable might have power but no data (I can clarify if you don't get what I mean). Also are your USB drivers installed/up to date?

Myth
31-01-2011, 06:37 PM
OK... it is the cable - TY to SWMBO ... (who happened to read the lil tag on the cable which reads "Charge Only") :eek:

So yeah, I found out tonight that you can get 2 cables which look exactly the same: one you can transfer data with, and the other is for charging ONLY. Sounds pretty screwed up but yeah...

Good going icow and Speedy by the way :D

Speedy Gonzales
31-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Sweet good to hear you found the prob ! First time Ive heard of that cable. I use the same cable for syncing and connecting with a dock.

plod
31-01-2011, 07:51 PM
sounds like its a cable out of a accessory kit, car charger wall, charger combo.
but yeah first time I have heard of it, definitely not the original cable