PDA

View Full Version : Food - or not?

pctek
30-01-2011, 05:10 PM
It's getting hot in the kitchen - award-winning UK-based Kiwi chef Peter Gordon has been accused of cooking food that tastes like "boiled Lego".

Kopapa - which translates from Maori as "be crowded" - opened in Covent Garden in December and one of the world's most respected reviewers, Sunday Times restaurant critic AA Gill, laid into it last week.

Gill wrote Gordon's restaurants tended to be full of people who wanted to feel good about themselves and "didn't really mind what their mouth thought". The critic described a meal of parmesan and bone marrow sauce on toast as "fat infused with Marmite"; a tomato sauce accompanying a meal of lamb brains as a "single mother's quick pasta"; a warm eel with ice-cold runny egg as "really nasty"; and the skin on a pork belly "like salty chewing gum".

The coconut sticky pork ribs were "dank, boiled sweety-sweet and sticky", and the smoked coconut tamarind laksa with chicken, lime-leaf dumplings, vermicelli noodles, shallots and coriander was "more of a mouthful to order than to eat. It tasted like boiled Lego".

But Gordon says the newspaper review of his new fusion restaurant in London is "ridiculous".
"We're not fussed at all. We've been full every dinner for three weeks and most lunches and if one took reviews too seriously then that would be silly."

I'd say I agree with the critic. Gross.
Classic recipes became classic because they worked well.

I used to know someone who cooked like that - she'd randomly select stuff from the pantry and throw it in. It wasn't called Fusion - it was called I Can't Cook.

Cicero
30-01-2011, 05:44 PM
What has the Maori bit to with the tucker.?

Jen
30-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Apart from the brains and eel, the rest sounds yummy. I would eat that. :)

... what does boiled Lego taste like?

nofam
30-01-2011, 06:04 PM
[I]

I used to know someone who cooked like that - she'd randomly select stuff from the pantry and throw it in. It wasn't called Fusion - it was called I Can't Cook.

Sorry, but what Peter Gordon does cannot be compared to randomly selecting things from the pantry. Fusion cooking at his level is more about what you don't put in than what you do.

R2x1
30-01-2011, 06:19 PM
The best thing not to put in whewsion cooking is my teeth ;)

John H
30-01-2011, 09:31 PM
The article pctek quoted only got part of the meaning of Kopapa:

Kopapa: Māori for a gathering, to be crowded, a building to store food.