PDA

View Full Version : MSSE Questions

SurferJoe46
30-01-2011, 05:50 AM
I was advised to try MSSE, and it's pretty good - so good that I even put it on my desktop of my own and it's made a lot of good differences.

The first unit I put it on had AVG-Free, and as it was on a dial-up at a very crippled speed, it was getting further and further in arrears and was outdated and just not maing it.

That was a 64-bit machine with Win7, and the difference on MY DSL/Sat router is not as obvious, but on the original dial-up, it can really be seen.

NOW - for the past couple of years I have had a very bad streaming-data experience on my desk-top unit (SOYO Ultra Silver Dragon w/3G RAM, XP-Pro, Athlon XP CPU, Enermax 900 W PSU), and I thought something was just generally wrong with it for that poor rendering reason.

It can render ripped videos very nicely, but live streams are chopped, stutter, halt-restart but the sound stay good though.

I have several other units on the WNR1000 router - most on wireless, but one other on a hard wire and NONE of them have this video problem - just this unit.

Now that I also took out AVG and installed MSSE - there is a substantial improvement. I imagine the overhead or RAM used by AVG was prolly a problem - maybe.

Here's the question ----

Where do I go for finding why this unit cannot render a live vid stream smoothly?

I know I am a year or two late (six years late, really) for building a new unit - and that's in the very near future - but this just bugs me.

SP8's
30-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Have you got the latest drivers for the onboard or graphics card ?

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Check with your ISP. Since youre going thru them, it depends on how good the cable / broadband is on how good the streaming video is.

I used to have the same prob with Xnet. Youtube started and stopped all the time (probably because of the amount of users on at the time / their stupid torrent plan, and because the plan I was on, was only ADSL1, not ADSL2).

Thats why I changed to telstra. Its a lot smoother, and I'm on ADSL2. I dont think the drivers have anything to do with streaming video

SurferJoe46
30-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Speed, I've got other units running on the same ISP/router/dish and they are excellent with no jerks or yanks.

I never see the buffering, just that it stops and starts and the load thermostat stops and then it fails.

This does not happen on any of the other gear on the same hardware - just this SOYO unit.

SurferJoe46
30-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Have you got the latest drivers for the onboard or graphics card ?

This ↑ I may try next, although I think I did that a while ago, it could be time for a new/update to the firmware too.

Speedy Gonzales
30-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Could be a driver prob then (but not a videocard prob). So, its satellite? If it is how does it connect to the dish? If its connected by ethernet, try updating the NIC drivers

SurferJoe46
30-01-2011, 12:22 PM
It goes like this::

Satellite >> Server (locally in the town here) >> Microwave >> MY dish on my house >> CAT5e >> decoder box >> CAT5e >> My 4-hole Router + Wireless NETGEAR WNR1000 RangeMax 802.11n.

I have this SOYO hard wired, another puter hardwired, and three wireless on WPA2-PSK

I mostly/typically get 3/3Mbps, fully synchronous.

The only unit that has troubles is this one I'm using, and all the others are OK.