PDA

View Full Version : New computer

cancer393
28-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm looking to possibly build a computer for the first time.
Some questions I have are, if I build on my own there won't be any type of 2 or whatever year warranty on the computer as you can get if purchased as a built one?
Also if I was to build one I'm not really sure what parts I would need to suit my computer habits.

I mainly use a computer for internet, streaming video and skype (video chat programs). Not interested in online 3D gaming.
Would like something that would be quite decent for a few years.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:thanks

SolMiester
28-01-2011, 01:44 PM
There will be no OEM warranty, however components have warranties too!

Streaming video depends on your internet speed, and any PC components from the last 3 years wouldnt have any problem with what you require.

If you dont have PC Building experience, you could just call one of the online shops and ask for help to select the components...

wainuitech
28-01-2011, 01:46 PM
re the warranty- Yes you will still have a warranty on the parts. The problem can arise for yourself if you get components from different suppliers, and there are failures. Meaning if the PC fails at some stage, and its unclear as to what may have failed, it could be costly for you to dismantle, and send off individual components to various places.

One other thing that WILL void a warranty is if you damage a component by mistake due to lack of experience. Warranties only cover failure under normal working conditions.

What sort of budget do you have in mind for this build ?

dugimodo
28-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah a budget would help. You can take two basic approaches (well at least two)
1. Decide what you want and then see what it will cost
2. Decide what you want to spend and build the best pc you can to that budget

If Gaming isn't a consideration get a motherboard with onboard video, you can still add a graphics card later if things change and it will save you money to start with.

You should probably look at a midrange CPU such as i3, i5 or AMD quad core, 4G or more RAM (memory speed not that important for most people) and a reasonable hard sized hard drive. If you plan on storing a lot of files perhaps a second hard drive for storage.

This would get you a good all round home PC for most uses.

Edit: Be sure to take static precautions when you build this :) handling your expensive components with care, doing some research, reading the manual, and taking your time are all recommended for a first build.

pctek
28-01-2011, 04:42 PM
, if I build on my own there won't be any type of 2 or whatever year warranty on the computer

No. Good isn't it? Instead you will get whatever warranty is on each part.
Stick to the quality stuff, ASUS or Gigabyte motherbard - 3 yrs.
Seagate or Western Digital HDDs - 3 yrs.
Corsair PSUs - 3 to 5 years.
Corsair RAM - 10 years, other RAM can be 3 - 5 years, enough really.
And so on.
CPU - 3 years.

Look at Computerlounge - choose a system takes your fancy, note the parts - pretty much a good starting point - change whatever you like.
Don't buy a case with bundles PSU, buy one without and add the PSU to it.
Motherboard must match CPU type - what socket it is. And then look up the motherboards specs to see what RAM it will use.
The rest is mix and match.

cancer393
28-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Budget $1000-1500

:pf1mobmini:

Nomad
28-01-2011, 11:08 PM
IMO if you don't play games, you don't need to spend that much really. I tell my friends that if they want a laptop any laptop is fine, just get the cheapest one that you find comfortable and stylish.

Most laptops now can handle up to 4GB RAM.
You sure you don't want a laptop, many if not most ordinary Joe and Jane are doing that now.

For a PC just build it at some of the stores others say. I say spend about $800-1000. I just get built in video card on the motherboard. If you don't know how the shop may have a installation fee and add Windows 7.

Then again if one is getting a good quality PSU etc and buying Windows etc .. it can be a bit expensive. Rivaling laptops which might be seen in a bad way when laptops ought to be more.

It's not always available at all shops but you can get $100 motherboards and $100 CPUs which should be fine if you don't play games. Normally I gather might be $400 for the two if you want something more modern.

gary67
29-01-2011, 08:14 AM
I really don't understand why people keep pushing laptops as an alternative to a built to spec desktop. Its a PITA to repair, usually will cost more in the long run, when you find you want a bigger monitor so you can sit a bit further away from it, never enough ports etc.

Put together a list of parts then put the list on here or either call computer lounge or Ascent and ask there advice.