PDA

View Full Version : DVD rot

Netsukeninja
27-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I just got a new DVD and the surface of it looks sort of suspicious, like maybe DVD rot or some other kind of defect.

Here's a pic

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/P1000158.JPG

Lets me know what you think.

:D

Speedy Gonzales
27-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Play it and find out. If its stuffed / doesnt play take it back

GameJunkie
27-01-2011, 11:04 PM
does it play ok?

Netsukeninja
27-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Yes it plays fine. I'm just wondering about how long it will last...

Does it look like DVD rot?

goodiesguy
27-01-2011, 11:26 PM
My Benny Hill 1976 dvd has a bit that looks like that. It played perfect, and it's been a year since i got it.

So it should be fine.

Paul.Cov
28-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I can understand your concern.
From the colour I assume it is a professionally pressed disc, which should be pretty reliable.
If it's a burnt disc then I'd not be surprised if it 'eroded' over time. I've had terrible issues with DVD-R reliability, to the point where I now don't burn anything - I just use a variety of removable HDD for all data storage / media etc.

Easiest solution - take an image of the disc or copy it - then you're covered whether it fails or not.

Netsukeninja
28-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I can understand your concern.
From the colour I assume it is a professionally pressed disc, which should be pretty reliable.
If it's a burnt disc then I'd not be surprised if it 'eroded' over time. I've had terrible issues with DVD-R reliability, to the point where I now don't burn anything - I just use a variety of removable HDD for all data storage / media etc.

Easiest solution - take an image of the disc or copy it - then you're covered whether it fails or not.

I've made a backup-copy of the movie.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Agent_24
29-01-2011, 12:42 AM
It's not CD-Rot. That shows up as little holes in the reflective layer which get bigger and bigger.

I am not sure what causes the weird colour ring as in your photo. I have seen it on several discs of my own, mainly on some Netguide CDs I have.

They didn't read as well as other discs, and I get the impression its due to some cheap and crappy manufacturing job, but I'm not sure exactly what they are doing differently.