PDA

View Full Version : GTK+ on W7

johnd
27-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi

I am wanting to run both The GIMP and Planner on W7. As I understand it, The GIMP installer has it's own GTK+ incorporated. To install Planner, I had to install the GTK+ Runtime environment. With the addition of a missing dll (iconv.dll) this got Planner running.

... but now The GIMP has this message repeated on every internal exe file at load time:

Title bar of message: "xxxxx.exe - Entry Point Not found"

Message Content: "The procedure entry point g_source_set_name could not be located in the dynamic link library libglib-2.0-0.dll".

So obviously I am entering dll hell territory! (Who said installing apps is only difficult in Linux!!).

The GIMP has it's own libglib dll so why is this an issue?

Anyone know how to solve this one?

Thanks.

mikebartnz
27-01-2011, 11:02 AM
It is all to do with the way Windows looks for DLL's and it is finding the incompatible one first. You could try moving the incompatible one (may be in \Windows\System32) into the directory where the Planner EXE resides.

johnd
27-01-2011, 12:38 PM
It is all to do with the way Windows looks for DLL's and it is finding the incompatible one first. You could try moving the incompatible one (may be in \Windows\System32) into the directory where the Planner EXE resides.

Theory sounds good (except it is the GIMP that is not going - Planner is fine).

Actually the first thing I did was to re-install The GIMP with the latest version (no change).

libglib is in two places:

1. C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll
2. C:\Program Files\GTK2-Runtime\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll

Since The GIMP went fine before installing Planner (which had to have GTKRuntime installed) then one might assume that even though The GIMP ought to be using C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll it might be using C:\Program Files\GTK2-Runtime\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll, ....

So I renamed temporarily the runtime version and copied the GIMP one in there.

No change. Same errors. A bit silly me thinks - if The GIMP has it's very own libglib, why would it picking up another one?

johnd
27-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Actually there are two other programs I am using that use libglib - dia and Inkscape. Both have the dll in their own Program Files subfolder. There is no C:\Windows\system32 version of the dll.

So I temporarily copied the GIMP dll version to each other location one at a time and tried to start The GIMP - same problem.

mikebartnz
27-01-2011, 01:25 PM
As you have done that with libglib I can only assume it is calling another DLL which is causing the problem. You could try PocessExplorer which might give a hint as to what is being called.
The other thing you could consider would be dual booting using a Linux distro.

johnd
27-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Could use Linux - would use a virtual machine which is setup and ready to go - but is more convenient in W7.

Must be another DLL - Have not used ProcessExplorer before but it seems to be saying that GIMP is using C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\libglib-2.0-0.dll which it ought to.

johnd
08-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Did much fiddling and found the answer - there are two files in system32 that do not need to be there it seems:

libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll
libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll

Renamed these and all works!

Note the file giving errors was libglib-2.0-0.dll.