PDA

View Full Version : Phenom II X4 955 stock heatsink fan

Halwende
26-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi all, last night I upgraded my machine to a Phenom II X4 955 BE with the retail / stock heat sink. My mobo controls the RPM using it's BIOS setting and the temps are fine but under load the fan on the cooler increases to 5000RPM (SpeedFan) and is way too loud

From what I've read I may be able to unclip the fan OFF the actual heatsink and replace it, but I can't find anything on the CFM rating for the stock fan. If I replace it with this I wonder, will it shift the same amount of air, but be quieter doing it...

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=1654&product_id=2978

...surely I can just replace their standard fan with a better one - or would it be safer just to replace the whole cooler? Trouble is, fan replacement is cheap at $20 and an easy swop, a new cooler is likely alot more cash and may involve me having to take out the mobo to install a backplate etc (urgh!)

What do you think? Worth a shot or shall I stop being a lazy git and just replace the whole thing

[PS. my old Athlon II X2 240 2.8Ghz + stock cooler that got replaced is free to a good home if anyone wants it, always ran stock (not OC'd) just wasn't up to par running Dragon Age on max settings! PM me if interested, would rather give away to help a forum member than chuck on Trade Me...]

Agent_24
26-01-2011, 12:04 PM
You can probably replace the fan but I don't know how much difference it will make.

If you really want something that will run quiet but cool well, I think you will need a better cooler.

SolMiester
26-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I always thought hte stock cooler and fan were quiet?.....It suggests to me you havent got a good contact between heatsink and CPU, hence the fan ramping up to full speed to cool the CPU!

Halwende
26-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah the stock set-up is very quiet when idle-50%, SpeedFan shows it's running <3000RPM and it's silent, but as soon as it's under heavy load it jumps up. Temps are under control at 100% though, and I made sure I had a good contact etc when installing so I think it's installed ok, just the fan @5000RPM is a noisy one

Maybe I should install a Hydro H50 water-cool solution, heck if I have to pull everything out to install it's a good chance to give everything a good clean I guess - I'm a bit worried installing a new fan only to have the heatsink not be as effective, I do not want to break a brand new CPU!

Gobe1
26-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I have never seen a cpu fan at 5000rpm. Doesn't sound right to me.
What about something like this? http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=215/ID=6469/SID=1051025654/productdetails.html

wratterus
26-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I saw one yesterday, AMD K8, running at 5600RPM. Damn noisy.

Halwende
26-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I have never seen a cpu fan at 5000rpm. Doesn't sound right to me.
What about something like this? http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=215/ID=6469/SID=1051025654/productdetails.html

Good find Gobe - that looks perfect thanks, I may just get that. It's a Black Edition CPU so if I decide to dabble in over-clocking in the future it's probably best I don't have a stock heat sink

Yeah either SpeedFan is lying to me or something is amiss w/5000RPM, but I always thought the smaller the fan the larger the RPM needed to shift the air so I didn't think twice about seeing such a large rotation

I just want to play Dragon Age in peace... :D

Gobe1
26-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah youre probably right i havent dealt with AMD for a while, full noise is probably 5000+.
Some one might be able to comment weather that is a decent heatsink or not, i havent seen one but thought the price is right

inphinity
26-01-2011, 02:20 PM
The CPU fan on my 955 BE is about 1200rpm idle and gets to about 3400rpm under heavy load. The difference may well be overall case temperature and ventilation. I'd suggest replacing the whole cooler - there are very very few 80mm fans with the same or higher airflow (I believe at 100% speed they're a smidge over 40cfm) and lower volume (12-27dba i believe) than the stock 955BE fan. Unless you can safely attach a 92mm fan ;)

Halwende
26-01-2011, 02:45 PM
The CPU fan on my 955 BE is about 1200rpm idle and gets to about 3400rpm under heavy load. The difference may well be overall case temperature and ventilation...

Hmm I think you're right, I'm not happy with mine maxing out like that. I'm going with Gobe's suggestion above for an after-market cooler and while it's in pieces give it a good clean & re-wiring so it's all neat, maybe look at some new case fans without letting the ol' budget get out of hand

Appreciate the feedback thanks, and the old CPU mentioned in the OP has gone to a new home