PDA

View Full Version : HDD IDE enclosure

Sick Puppy
25-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking for a HDD enclosure for a 2.5" IDE hard drive - can anyone recommend a decent-ish brand at an awesome price? :rolleyes:

I did a search but can't say I found very much, and prices seem to vary between $10 on Trademe and $20-80 everywhere else. Thing is I don't recognise any of the brands, and some don't even list a brand :eek:

(as an aside, that's that I get for looking after my gear - my laptops's 5 years old, my phone is nearly four years old, and I took my eye off of the technology markets - why keep track of stuff to replace it when the old stuff works fine? [shrugs])

I don't need anything fancy, it's being used to recycle a 80GB HDD, so I can copy files and store music. I know it's an old model drive so I don't want to pay that much, but I don't want to buy crap either. I realise that I can only have two our of cheap / good / fast, I'll settle for cheap and good! :D

Anyone here have any suggestions please? Thanks in advance!

Agent_24
26-01-2011, 12:38 AM
I think in this case cheap / good / fast is wrong. They will all be fast, but the question is which ones will be good quality?

If you want one that's decent, I think you will need to spend say $20 on this one: http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=348172

The enclosure itself I'm sure is higher build quality than the cheaper ones, the electronics should be better too. Doesn't really matter how old your drive is, if you don't want crap, you need to pay for a decent one.

The ones on Trademe for $10 are the same as the ones on eBay for $0.99 US

Sick Puppy
26-01-2011, 09:02 PM
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=348172

Vantec NexStar SX NST-285U2

Thanks Agent_24, I'll have a look for it here in Christchurch (or Wellington when I'm there in a few weeks).

What I mean by Cheap Good and Fast, is that I'm quite happy with Cheap and Good, so Fast is a bonus! lol I'd rather have paid $10-15, but if it's named and decent, I'm happy to pay more!

I hadn't even thought to check eBay - D'oh!

Agent_24
27-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Just looking at the manual for that Vantec one: http://www.vantecusa.com/system/application/media/data_file/nst-285u2_user_manual.pdf

Looks quite good, the HDD is secured inside a frame inside the case.

The cheaper ones on Trademe and eBay don't have anything to secure the drive AFAIK and it could get jolted around inside the case.

I think I would buy the Vantec if I was getting one.

Sick Puppy
27-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at Tastech for it here in Chch - I can't get it at $20, but everywhere seems to want to charge about $32, even Dragon PC which is surprising.

Agent_24, are there any other decent brands you would recommend? I'm liking the Vantec recommendation, but I'm always open for other offers! :D

Agent_24
28-01-2011, 12:05 AM
If I knew I'd tell you - but aside from another enclosure much more expensive on Pricespy I do not know of any others.

I suspect there aren't many of these sold now since most people would be using SATA so probably not much profit in it, so not many made anymore.

If you're lucky you may find something on Trademe or eBay, second hand of good brand should be a good option, if you can find one.

wainuitech
28-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Dont be so tight fisted.:p

Its better to spend a little bit more on a good quality product, than skimp and get some cheap rubbish.

Usually the reason they are cheaper is the quality is not as good.

I've had cheap enclosures, and they last less than six months. Yet the more expensive ones I have are still going five years on. The thing that wears out is the lead that plugs into the drive, where the wire and plastic plug meet.

Agent_24
28-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Good point, although you can easily get new cables.

The thing I would worry about is the Mini-B USB socket on the enclosure itself. These are surface mounted to the circuit board and don't have a lot of mechanical strength.

Too much strain can break the solder joints or worse, rip the pads up. I don't really like things with these connectors, you have to be careful.

The expensive enclosures wouldn't be immune to this problem either (although may be slightly better) so you have to take a bit of care. Re-soldering wouldn't be hard if you know how to do it but most people don't.

wratterus
28-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I really like Welland. Got a few myself and sold tons, don't think any have died yet.

Sick Puppy
28-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Dont be so tight fisted.:p

Its better to spend a little bit more on a good quality product, than skimp and get some cheap rubbish.

Exactly :thumbs:, which is why I've deliberately stayed away from the no name brands, I've seen Vantecs here in Chch, although they're a good $10 more than everywhere else!

Haven't seen much of the Wellands though, although CBCNZ has one for $40.

If Tastech get their crap together and call me back (not hopeful since they've ignored an email and a phone call), I'll grab the Vantec one for $26ish, if not, I may have to shell out more for the Welland one.