PDA

View Full Version : How do I prevent unauthorised access to internet?

25-09-2001, 05:31 PM
Is there a way to prevent my children from getting on the internet when I am not there to supervise? My daughter has wised up to all the simple tricks that I have tried and now I need to produce the big guns. I have a zFree connection so even without a password all she needs to do is log on with her friend's account name and password and she's there. Her friend doesn't care and the parents wouldn't either so asking them to change their password would be futile. I need a solution that restricts her access at my computer. Any ideas please?

25-09-2001, 05:52 PM
If you hunt around on the internet you could find something. Try emailing Zfree and see what they have to say.

The other idea is to remove the fuse on the main power supply to the house. That way she'll have to get an extension cord from the neighbours.

Good Luck
JM

25-09-2001, 06:13 PM
One method is to load NetNanny (from www.netnanny.com) on your computer to control the internet content. It's US$40 but would probably pay itself off just giving you peace of mind. However, the kids nowadays are smarter than you think and could think of ways to circumvent it.

25-09-2001, 07:10 PM
You could take the modem lead from the pc to the wall with you when you leave.... until she figures out she is able to use the one off the phone.

If you want her to stop using the computer all together you could take the power lead away ... until she figures out a jug cord does the same job.

The main fuse idea seems a bit overkill ;)

OR accept that as your kids get older they will pry and challenge what they are not allowed to do. Either educate her to be sensible and accountable for her own actions and understand that she isn't your little girl anymore or install some sort of snooping program such as KeySpy (http://www.keyspy.net/) to keep tabs on her.

At the end of the day where there is a will there's a way.

Your call

25-09-2001, 07:29 PM
hi Susan,

If you have money to spend you could buy a copy of NT4 or Win2K to create a secure system. If you want a free solution, put a password on the system through the BIOS.

25-09-2001, 09:27 PM
Thank you very much for the excellent replies. I suspect that some of you have been down this road before....

JM, I would try it, but I can't see any removable fuses on our switchboard, they are all switches unfortunately, otherwise it would be an excellent idea. especially since she'd need at least 5 extension leads from the neighbours ;-)

Stan L, I have thought about Net Nanny - could be worth saving up for, to kill two birds with one stone? At the MOMENT I am mainly concerned with the amount of time spent on the internet rather than the actual sites, but that will probably be shortlived.

Gary - good ideas, pity that the PC desk is less than user-friendly to try them. And like you say, only temporary until she gets wise again. BTW she hasn't been MY little girl since she was born, only HER little girl, but that doesn't mean she's allowed to spend all day playing games and doing the chat thing instead of being outdoors on a nice day ;-)

Anon, I think you have just made me bite the bullet for the easiest and cheapest option of all. Been too scared to do it before now in case I forgot the password or something happened and I got permanently locked out myself.

Thanks once again guys.

PS Any other suggestions welcome!!