PDA

View Full Version : RelevantKnowledge

8ftmetalhaed
25-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Alrighty, just got rid of this cheeky bastard of a program that I just noticed upon restarting my pc had stuck a tray icon up and a service in my task manager.
It claimed to have been modified in november of last year, but I am damn sure I didn't agree to install this thing.

Googling it reveals an apparently norton trusted site, which would explain why it wasn't flagged by norton, but of course almost every entry after that is 'how to remove this bloody thing'.

Any idea what it might have come in on? It's apparently just a market research tool, but it can't be a very nice one if it manages to sneak in like that.

I don't recall installing much aside from stuff off giveawayoftheday and a few (ironic) system cleaners, IE HJT and CCleaner.

Oh and a duplicate file finder.

Yeah anyway, just seeking reassurance that i'm right in my paranoia.

Snorkbox
25-01-2011, 07:48 PM
It's spyware.

8ftmetalhaed
25-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Well yes I gathered that, I just was freaking out a bit because I don't know how it got there. I sure as hell didn't knowingly install it, yet it had snuck into my program files folder. I assume it came attached to one of the programs I did install earlier on, since I was at one point looking for a duplicate file finder.

Still, here's hoping all my stuff is safe. I already had to go through one major password changing mission because I forgot to deroute my traffic through an iranian proxy, whoops. That was a while ago but still getting over having all my passwords different.
Mum especially.
(you don't reckon I should, should I?)