PDA

View Full Version : Does A USB Stick Operate Like A SSD?

SurferJoe46
25-01-2011, 07:28 AM
I mean - is it not even close to the same thing?

It's Solid State - right?

I recognize that the access or read/write speeds aren't nearly as fast, but is there any way to make it faster to equal a SSD?

Is this just an IRQ issue?

And NO - this is just in the general non-tech side since it's not specifically a tech question, I'm just spooling here and thinking - always a dangerous thing for me.

inphinity
25-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Similar concept. A proper SSD will have higher performance flash memory, a much higher performance controller, and typically not use a connection that's as much of a bottleneck as USB. But, when it comes down to it, they're both based on similar underyling ideas and both typically use some form of NAND flash.

SurferJoe46
25-01-2011, 07:38 AM
So - by extension, if I shove 8G USB sticks in all the ports of my Laptop, I get a cheap SSD of somewhat lower capacity, but a good boost in read/write speed - right?

inphinity
25-01-2011, 07:58 AM
No. The memory and controller in your standard USB sticks are terribly slow, as is the USB interface.

Even a fairly high-end USB2 flash drive is going to cap out around 35MB/sec transfer rates, and if you get a USB3 one that might jump up to 65-70ish. A low-end SSD on SATAII should achieve around 130MB/sec, and a decent SSD will be aover 250MB/sec.

By comparison, a typical mechanical drive on SATAII (like a Seagate Barracuda or WD Blue) will be around 90MB/sec.

SurferJoe46
25-01-2011, 08:12 AM
So I c.

I was just thinkin', that's all.

pablo d
25-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Yep, think of an SSD as 8 to 10 good USB drives stickytaped together with a controller making it look like one single high performance drive to your computer.

The NAND chips in an SSD aren't necessarily any better than what you'd find in a good flash drive, there's just friggin heaps of them. And no, filling up USB slots with flash drives won't increase performance as they'll all be treated as seperate drives by the OS.

SP8's
25-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I get an image of SJ hanging up 100 fairy lights at Christmas .... USB flash drives with LED's all lit up .... one end of it disappearing into the back of his computer .... :D

Now some Chinese guy will read this and make a bloody fortune come December this year.

SurferJoe46
25-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I get an image of SJ hanging up 100 fairy lights at Christmas .... USB flash drives with LED's all lit up .... one end of it disappearing into the back of his computer .... :D

Now some Chinese guy will read this and make a bloody fortune come December this year.

Caught me up short there. Good timing, thanks! :eek:

If you think some Chinese guy already did it, I guess I should disassemble my USB-Fairie Light HDD.

Heck fire - I had the name all registered too.

Surfer Joe's Patented USB- Fairie Light HDD

R2x1
25-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Yup, pull the plug - forget it all. ;)

SurferJoe46
25-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Wanna buy 84 4-G USB sticks?

The Error Guy
25-01-2011, 11:36 PM
yes!