PDA

View Full Version : Boot and operate from External USB Drive

B.M.
24-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok, the position is that I travel quite a bit overseas, usually staying with family.

Now I take my faithful Laptop and that serves most, say 80% of my needs, like E-Mail Internet etc.

However, the laptop doesn’t have on it anything like the number of Programmes my Desktop has, and Murphy sees to it I always want to use a programme that I don’t have on the Laptop.

To this end I wondered if I could just copy all my Desktop onto an external drive and boot from the external drive if I wished to use a Photo Editing programme or Video Editing programme and the like.

I realise that the Bios on the host computer would have to be set to booting from “Other” first, if that’s possible, and I might run into a few problems with Hardware Drivers but that wouldn’t phase me it could be done.

Anyway, I look forward to any comments on the situation. :thanks

SolMiester
24-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Simple answer is no, programs are installed, not copied....you could perhaps take a virtual copy around with you and install the hypervisor on the required PC, via the install program on the same PC, however you would have to license the virtual pc

wainuitech
24-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Its not just the BIOS that would be a problem, its also the different hardware. The laptop, and desktop would have to have the same = basically impossible.

Any reason you cant remote connect to the Desktop - or do you want to have the programs/ Data with you. ?

pcuser42
24-01-2011, 05:12 PM
If you still use Windows XP, MojoPac might be worth a look :thumbs:

B.M.
24-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys’

Yes one part of me said this can’t be done, but another said “Why Not”? :D

I realise that Programmes have to be installed with all their associated Registry Entry’s, and I realise there would be Hardware Driver problems, but then I thought well I’ve replaced plenty of Motherboards over the years and despite having to deal with Microsoft moaning things had changed and the OS was married to the Motherboard everything else worked fine.

Which leads me to another question. :D

What’s the point of “Cloning” your system backup onto another drive if your replacement Motherboard and or HDD has to be exactly the same? :confused:

I think I’m missing something here. :D

B.M.
24-01-2011, 05:39 PM
If you still use Windows XP, MojoPac might be worth a look :thumbs:

Hey thanks for that I'll follow up. :thumbs:

Yep XP SP2.

Agent_24
24-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Cloning the HDD is only in case of HDD failure, if you did need a new board you may need to reinstall etc.

But, You do not have to have the exact same HDD as a replacement, all HDDs are treated the same in Windows (provided the replacement uses the same interface, SATA, IDE, SCSI, SAS etc)

So as long as you don't change the interface to anything which doesn't already have drivers installed you should be fine.

wainuitech
24-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Just to add a bit more to what Agent posted:

Basically the HDD replacement covers it.

Sometimes you can clone a OS back to different hardware, but Windows throws a real fit, normally resulting in a BSOD. IF you are lucky, and the components are close enough, windows may boot on different hardware, and proceed to install drivers or ask for the new drivers.

Other times IF you do get a BSOD, doing a repair install will allow windows to boot again, its 50/50 as to it working or not. IF it does work, then its almost certain you have to reactivate windows, as the hardware has changed.

B.M.
24-01-2011, 08:01 PM
:eek: Yikes, are you telling me that my Paragon & Macrium Back-ups are a waste of time if my elderly Socket 478 motherboard and ATA HDD fail and need to be replaced with a duel core Motherboard and SATA HDD. :eek:

I’m gutted! :(

Here was me thinking I could restore things with even the icons on my desktop in the right place.

Anyway, has anybody used this MojoPac that pcuser referred to? It looks real interesting but I can’t quite get my head around how it actually works.

Grrrrrrrrr, so much for all my religious back-ups mumble mumble mumble…………..

pcuser42
24-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Anyway, has anybody used this MojoPac that pcuser referred to? It looks real interesting but I can’t quite get my head around how it actually works.

I used it back in the days of Windows XP in our house :p, and basically it creates a virtual desktop where you can install programs and store documents. It's sort of like a virtual PC combined with PortableApps, if that makes sense. :p

fred_fish
24-01-2011, 08:17 PM
So, why not just install the apps on the laptop?

Agent_24
24-01-2011, 10:42 PM
:eek: Yikes, are you telling me that my Paragon & Macrium Back-ups are a waste of time if my elderly Socket 478 motherboard and ATA HDD fail and need to be replaced with a duel core Motherboard and SATA HDD. :eek:

Here was me thinking I could restore things with even the icons on my desktop in the right place.

Yes it is a waste of time if you want everything exactly the same on completely different hardware.

You might get lucky, you might not. But you will still be glad of those backups containing all your files if your hard drive fails.

zqwerty
24-01-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.acronis.com/glossary/backup/bare-metal-restore

gary67
25-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I would see if any of the programs you use are available as portable apps and if they are install them on a flash drive

here (http://portableapps.com/) and

here (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=driver&m=Search)

B.M.
25-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks again guys for your input. :thumbs:

Well, we seem to have exposed two separate issues here, one being able to boot from an external drive using a foreign computer and the other, (that came out of left field), the ability to restore a system to a completely foreign Motherboard and HDD.

In the first instance, pcuser has come up with a possibility of using a product called MojoPac which I will definitely investigate further and in the second instance, zwerty has come up with a Bare-Metal Restore which I had never heard of and definitely requires further investigation also.

It seems today will be spent Googling. :lol:

Fred_fish, the reason I’m trying to avoid installing everything onto the Laptop is it would require a new HDD (80gig won’t fit on 20 gig) plus a complete reinstall of everything. Given the Laptop is only used whilst on holiday I was hoping there may be another simpler way.

And Gary I’ve just read your post and will follow up there too.

Now off to Google. :D

gary67
25-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Good luck with google. I have the portable apps suite on a flash drive then just added what ever other programs I wanted to it, such as Foxit portable and revo un installer portable. It allows me to use any windows computer and not have to install any programs

SolMiester
25-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Yes!.....You can usually get around this by generalising the hardware to generic instead of manufacturer specific, however you would only be able to do this before replacing the motherboard.....The reason being that the windows start up configuration loads up drivers for a particular piece of hardware, if its different than expected, thats where your BSOD fun begins.

B.M.
25-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Good luck with google. I have the portable apps suite on a flash drive then just added what ever other programs I wanted to it, such as Foxit portable and revo un installer portable. It allows me to use any windows computer and not have to install any programs

Confusion Reins. :D

I can definitely see a use for what you suggest Gary but the programmes I usually wish I had with me are Picture and Video editing programmes which I don’t think come in a portable format.

Anyway to give you some idea what I’m up against I’ll try and attach a screenshot of my Program Folder. The idea is to be able to use them all, theoretically. ;)

B.M.
25-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Yes!.....You can usually get around this by generalising the hardware to generic instead of manufacturer specific, however you would only be able to do this before replacing the motherboard.....The reason being that the windows start up configuration loads up drivers for a particular piece of hardware, if its different than expected, thats where your BSOD fun begins.

Ok, I think I’ve got the picture there, so where does this “Bare-Metal” restore fit into the scheme of things? :confused:

And, can “Paragon 10 Home Addition” achieve this “Bare-Metal” recovery should it be of any use? :confused:

SolMiester
25-01-2011, 09:20 AM
I think the cheapest and easiest solution would be to buy a larger laptop drive.....
$92 for IDE 80Gb
$114 for IDE 160Gb
If your lappy has SATA then 250Gb for $83

SolMiester
25-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Ok, I think I’ve got the picture there, so where does this “Bare-Metal” restore fit into the scheme of things? :confused:

And, can “Paragon 10 Home Addition” achieve this “Bare-Metal” recovery should it be of any use? :confused:

I would imagine the program adds a API layer before the O/S reads the hardware, when restoring, the new layer acts as an intermediary....but that just a guess, cant find any other info on it!

B.M.
25-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I would imagine the program adds a API layer before the O/S reads the hardware, when restoring, the new layer acts as an intermediary....but that just a guess, cant find any other info on it!

I don't feel so bad then, because nor can I. :D

However, I did wind up in the depth of restoring "Raid Arrays" which wasn't where I wanted to be. :D

wainuitech
25-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I suspect the Bare metal approach is similar to the Acronis Universal restore (http://kb.acronis.com/content/5372).

A couple of years ago, I tried Universal Restore,but with very limited success. Sometimes it worked, others it didn't, still ended up with BSOD on new hardware sometimes.

By the looks of it, there is a "Acronis Plus Pack is a separate add-on for Acronis True Image Home 2011 that has Acronis Universal Restore" - it wont be free, here it is (http://www.acronis.com.au/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#plus-pack).

B.M.
25-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I suspect the Bare metal approach is similar to the Acronis Universal restore (http://kb.acronis.com/content/5372).

A couple of years ago, I tried Universal Restore,but with very limited success. Sometimes it worked, others it didn't, still ended up with BSOD on new hardware sometimes.

By the looks of it, there is a "Acronis Plus Pack is a separate add-on for Acronis True Image Home 2011 that has Acronis Universal Restore" - it wont be free, here it is (http://www.acronis.com.au/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#plus-pack).

Thanks Wainui.

I don't mind paying if it does the job. However, it would seem the "Spin" attached to some of these products exceeds their capability. ;)

But Here's (http://blog.paragon-software.com/?p=408) a link that may interest some of those following this thread.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to get to grips with it. :groan:

SolMiester
25-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks Wainui.

I don't mind paying if it does the job. However, it would seem the "Spin" attached to some of these products exceeds their capability. ;)

But Here's (http://blog.paragon-software.com/?p=408) a link that may interest some of those following this thread.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to get to grips with it. :groan:

Just get a bigger laptop drive, clone old to new, then install ALL the programs you need!

wainuitech
25-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks Wainui.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to get to grips with it. :groan: Thanks for the Links.

What a disappointment -- "Bare Metal Backup' in other words a fancy name for simply backing up the HDD, from CD -- errrrrr techs do that all the time :D

In fact thats the only way I do customers backups to save their data if a reinstall is required.

Paragon does have good software, BUT if you watch the second Video, at approx 1.52 - he suggests a Hard Drive failure - thats fair enough, change the HDD and restore the backup, BUT if it were a Motherboard failure /replacement then that backup may be close to useless unless it were the same board - As per post 7&8.

B.M.
25-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the Links.

What a disappointment -- "Bare Metal Backup' in other words a fancy name for simply backing up the HDD, from CD -- errrrrr techs do that all the time :D

In fact thats the only way I do customers backups to save their data if a reinstall is required.

Paragon does have good software, BUT if you watch the second Video, at approx 1.52 - he suggests a Hard Drive failure - thats fair enough, change the HDD and restore the backup, BUT if it were a Motherboard failure /replacement then that backup may be close to useless unless it were the same board - As per post 7&8.

Yes, that does appear to be the case. :crying

Now given that I have experienced more Motherboard failures than I have HDD failures (leaky Cap’s etc) there is a void when it comes to “simply” restoring order upon a Motherboard failure.

I must have been lucky with the Motherboard Failures I’ve experienced as they’ve all booted in some form or other and attending to all the ! & ? in “System” had everything running tikety boo again. There are a few little tricks readily available on the Internet to deal with Microsoft’s continual whingeing. ;)

But it only gets worse, (well for me anyway), :D because it seems that MojoPac (as suggested by pcuser) is no longer available so it doesn’t look like I’ll be testing that either. :crying

pcuser42
25-01-2011, 01:13 PM
because it seems that MojoPac (as suggested by pcuser) is no longer available so it doesn’t look like I’ll be testing that either. :crying

Um... what? http://www.mojopac.com/download.html

B.M.
25-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Um... what? http://www.mojopac.com/download.html

Yep, I’d tried that site but when you click the download Button it blinks and nothing happens. :( There are a couple of other posts on Google that say it’s finished.

Given it was licensed software they may have called it a day after XP was superseded? :confused:

wainuitech
25-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Just tried that page - its a bit deceiving -- If you click on the small wording on the right Download Mojopac ----- then it downloads.

B.M.
25-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Just tried that page - its a bit deceiving -- If you click on the small wording on the right Download Mojopac ----- then it downloads.

Oh dear, a f’n great Download Button that does nothing and some small print that does! :rolleyes:

Not a great start and not one that fills me with confidence. :groan:

:thanks Wainui.

Agent_24
25-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I notice on some websites they have fake download buttons which simply open a popup advertising window etc.