PDA

View Full Version : The best wireless internet ISP in NZ.

qetzal
24-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi all,
I am a foreign student and come to NZ soon. Please, help me to choose the best wireless internet ISP in Auckland with a stable connection, which is able to keep at least 200 KB/s download speed 24/7. Thanks for all advices and good luck!

Halwende
24-01-2011, 09:20 AM
If you're in these coverage areas (when you get here) you can try Compass, a friend of mine uses them and he gets 500kb+ out Manukau way... http://www.compass.net.nz/residential/internet/lineofsight.asp

Another one to consider would be Woosh (www.woosh.co.nz), my brother is with them now and they offered him a real cheap package (internet + VOIP phone, etc) but the speeds are not as good

Chilling_Silence
24-01-2011, 11:18 AM
At least 200KB/sec 24/7?
You do realize that in NZ we have data caps ... Most students in this country only have such lavish requirements if they're planning on pirating large amounts of movies / TV.

Perhaps if you give us a little more info on your requirements, such as if you want it to be 802.11* wireless, or something such as Woosh, why you want it wireless, why you need the data cap, what you need in terms of jitter etc, and we can go from there.

gary67
24-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Or do you mean wireless in your place of residence such as having a wireless router to provide you with wireless, or will there be no phone line so no ADSL

qetzal
24-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Halwende, thanks.

At least 200KB/sec 24/7?
You do realize that in NZ we have data caps ... Most students in this country only have such lavish requirements if they're planning on pirating large amounts of movies / TV.

No, I don't want to download data 24/7 nonstop. I would like to have a good solid connection for skype video calls, periodic videostream watching and comfortable surfing. I need about 2-3GB per month.

Or do you mean wireless in your place of residence such as having a wireless router to provide you with wireless, or will there be no phone line so no ADSL
Sorry, I did not mention it in the first post. Under "wireless internet" I mean small mobile device (maybe USB?) which will give me access everywhere in the city because I am not sure about internet access at my future residence.

Chilling_Silence
24-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you're probably best off with something like a 2degrees Data Stick:
http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/mobilebroadband

Or Telecoms XT are supposed to be the fastest in NZ:
http://www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/mobilebroadband

BTW - Welcome to PressF1, and potentially New Zealand :D

gary67
24-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Halwende, thanks.

No, I don't want to download data 24/7 nonstop. I would like to have a good solid connection for skype video calls, periodic videostream watching and comfortable surfing. I need about 2-3GB per month.

Sorry, I did not mention it in the first post. Under "wireless internet" I mean small mobile device (maybe USB?) which will give me access everywhere in the city because I am not sure about internet access at my future residence.

That's cool was just getting some clarification, what Chilling suggests would seem best

Nomad
25-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I say, 2 Degrees suits you but try it out and see how it goes. I used to have 3GB plan for 3yrs but I couldn't watch streaming videos.

If 2 or 3GB is not enough and USB Wireless gets expensive. Do have a look at ADSL, unfortunately that is how NZ is like. Some ISPs don't have long term contracts and some also void the connection charges. So you could change residences on the fly. Usually ISPs can set up a connection within 2hrs from online application.

gary67
26-01-2011, 07:47 AM
You can always use free public wifi at places like McDonald's and local libraries

Chilling_Silence
26-01-2011, 08:17 AM
But they offer something like 10MB, and if he wants 200KB/sec to do some description of relatively decent resolution video conferencing, then that'll go in a matter of seconds :-/

qetzal
27-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks for answers!

I have summed everything up and checked 4 ISP: Telecom, Woosh, Compass and 2Degrees.
Telecom offers the most expensive services of mobile broadband. Are these services good enough for such a high price?

Compass provide internet only through aerial. It is not convenient because house is not mine.
I have emailed Woosh several times but didn’t receive any answer. I assumed that their support is on the same level…
The only variant left 2Degrees. I hope they won’t fail.
I will write after arrival and small Internet services test.

Nomad
27-01-2011, 10:52 AM
You may want to have a look at Vodafone as well
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile-broadband/which-plan-is-right.jsp

Telecom and Vodafone are similar they are somewhat more $$ than 2 Degrees. In the past Telecom has had issues but I think most of that might be ironed out now.

Just a note with 2 Degrees, 2 Degrees only have cell towers in the main cities should you move out of that area like if you are going for a drive away in the weekend, 2 Degrees will be v expensive see below ..

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/prepay
@ 50c per MB.
If you purchased a 50MB package for $6 for the month, if you go over it is 50c per MB.

Only Telecom or Vodafone has cell towers throughout NZ. 2 Degrees will work with Vodafone cell towers but they are roaming off Vodafone, so the data prices will cost more. Their voice rates are still the same though.

Nomad
27-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes there are value packs of data that you buy like 1GB or 3GB etc .. but once you are out of the area, they can no longer be used and the price will switch to the prepay casual rate....

qetzal
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi all again!

Finally I am here, in NZ. I bought 2degrees mobile broadband for 69$ with 3 GB data. Ping from Northshore (Auckland) to Europe is not as good as I expected (~400-500ms) but at least it endures skype video sessions. Download speed is about 100-200 KBps.

Chilling_Silence
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Which is 1 megabit, not too bad ... Pings are always higher over 3G.

Anyway, welcome to the country :)