PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry's - what's the hype?

Nomad
23-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi, what's the hype with the BB's?

I know they are more work related devices, instant emails with push technology that emails are delivered on the fly, good security ....

But some phones have push technology like my Nokia E series ... It supports a few email accounts. Proper keyboard and keypad for business use. It does not need the special Blackberry service from Telecom/Vodafone.

I am not into much about "many" apps or multimedia, I am just a user, get the job done kind of thing as a tool.

So I am just wondering why some people adore them, I've also known a IT person who got a BB instead of an Android or iPhone.

:thanks

Greven
23-01-2011, 12:59 PM
The only reason I can think of for people loving them is the security & control large businesses can have over the phones using Blackberry Enterprise server. For small businesses or personal use they are a dog, especially if you have to go through all the effort of setting up the blackberry software for only one blackberry.

Exchange support on the Iphone is pretty good & Android is catching up fast.

Nomad
23-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Shame that it requires a Blackberry data plan.

Looks pretty cool. I don't use multimedia on my phone. I like how you might get emails on the Blackberry faster than the computer and how's you get updated than needing to request it. Always been a fan of business phones than the touch screen phones ..

johcar
23-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Blackberry (RIM) were the first 'smartphone' to get into corporates (aside from phones with the Micros**t OS running - when they weren't crashing). Palm OS was popular for a time in the US, but never got very far with the corporates....

RIM are well behind the 8-ball these days, with Apple and Android having pushed them aside.

I suspect that the only blackberry you will hear about in five years' time will be of the type you might find in a pie of the same name....

Alex B
23-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Its not a true push on anything except for BlackBerry. Have a read up on how BIS/BES works and you will understand why.

plod
23-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Shame that it requires a Blackberry data plan.

Always been a fan of business phones than the touch screen phones ..
You do realise RIM make a touch phone. but obviously can't be used for business

gary67
24-01-2011, 08:21 AM
I thought you could touch any phone, apart from the iPhone of course as you would make it dirty and Apple wouldn't like that

SolMiester
24-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi, what's the hype with the BB's?

I know they are more work related devices, instant emails with push technology that emails are delivered on the fly, good security ....

But some phones have push technology like my Nokia E series ... It supports a few email accounts. Proper keyboard and keypad for business use. It does not need the special Blackberry service from Telecom/Vodafone.

I am not into much about "many" apps or multimedia, I am just a user, get the job done kind of thing as a tool.

So I am just wondering why some people adore them, I've also known a IT person who got a BB instead of an Android or iPhone.

:thanks

Well, for a start, all e-mail data is encrypted, apps and policies can be updated from your blackberry server and if a device lost, it can be deactivated and locked immediately.
It can also do everything else the andriod and iphone can do!

I had a pearl for years and now have a 3GS, while I love the screen of the iPhone and the apps etc, i cant stand the virtual keyboard...

Chilling_Silence
24-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Only advantage these days is the battery life. I wouldn't touch them personally, ever ...

Siobhan Keogh
24-01-2011, 09:23 AM
To be honest I'm not sure there is any hype around the BlackBerry anymore. They're nice phones but no one gets all tingly thinking about them like they seem to with Android devices/iPhones.

Nomad
24-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Its looks interesting ... sounds like a true business phone.

I read some guys get their email quicker than on their PCs. A friend who got it at work was addicted at it. I saw a youtube video and it appears the BB is quicker to load the webpage than an iPhone b/c it strips the formatting, doesn't look as pretty for the "consumer" but it loads so much faster.

To me it looks like if BB is gonna be a lesser but still unique. With its approach and how even Nokia has discontinued phones like the E72.

I had a b/w phone many moons ago, a Sony before any were available to the NZ market. Then I had a colour Quad Band flip, in a matter of weeks I sold it. The slide or flips can be annoying .....

But people talk about iOS and Androids that you can download apps. For the average Joe and Jane out there, is that such a big thing for them?

But then again, I have always bought business phones and business laptops :D I am more a black pants person than a jeans type.

Nomad
24-01-2011, 10:25 AM
You do realise RIM make a touch phone. but obviously can't be used for business

Yep .. I seen that but don't like touch screen phones personally.
Can't they connect to the RIM server :confused:

johcar
24-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Its looks interesting ... sounds like a true business phone.

I read some guys get their email quicker than on their PCs. A friend who got it at work was addicted at it. I saw a youtube video and it appears the BB is quicker to load the webpage than an iPhone b/c it strips the formatting, doesn't look as pretty for the "consumer" but it loads so much faster.

To me it looks like if BB is gonna be a lesser but still unique. With its approach and how even Nokia has discontinued phones like the E72.

I had a b/w phone many moons ago, a Sony before any were available to the NZ market. Then I had a colour Quad Band flip, in a matter of weeks I sold it. The slide or flips can be annoying .....

But people talk about iOS and Androids that you can download apps. For the average Joe and Jane out there, is that such a big thing for them?

But then again, I have always bought business phones and business laptops :D I am more a black pants person than a jeans type.

I get Exchange Mail delivered to my Nexus One faster than to my desktop, and I am currently contracting at a large corporate...

SWMBO is 'trialling' my old iPhone 3GS (she is generally a technophobe) - but she's been 'trialling' it now for 4 months!!! So much for the sale of the iPhone subsidising my upgrade to the Nexus One!

Smartphones are the future, even for Joe and Jane Average, and once they get past their initial intimidation, you won't be able to pry the phone from their hands without a very large lever (and/or an axe)!

More and more businesses are having to fit their employees' choice of phone into their IT infrastructure (apart from the security aspect, it may be cheaper that way - the business then doesn't have to worry about buying the phone, just perhaps contributing to the plan their employee is signed up to). Typically these phones are Apples and Androids.

Blackberry will go the way of Palm OS...

Chilling_Silence
24-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Well said.

Even my mother who's a technophobe manages to fly along on her Vodafone 845 after a week or two of learning all the nifty little features, but thats part of the learning curve she would have had with any phone. Now, she loves it! Same for my brother and his wife with their Vodafone 845's, getting emails on their phone, they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, not to mention the games, the browsing ... All for < $200!

Thing is those same phones can be also remotely managed much in the same way as Blackberries can for corporates. I know, we've got a few where I work, and if they're lost / stolen then we can remote-wipe everything (Including the SD Card) and push it back to factory default settings.

Nomad
24-01-2011, 12:44 PM
It does appear to be more consumerism ... that phones are now tending towards touchscreens, just not my taste :D

It might be minor but Blackberry is the extreme when it comes to business phones with the security and the speed aspects. Plus you get a nice keyboard without needing to flip or slide it out. It's ready to go without any fuss.

Just out of interest for the other phones could you link MS Outlook on the PC and notify the mobile phone handset whenever you get a new meeting added etc ... while the the person is outside.

johcar
24-01-2011, 12:50 PM
<snip>

Just out of interest for the other phones could you link MS Outlook on the PC and notify the mobile phone handset whenever you get a new meeting added etc ... while the the person is outside.

I can create calendar appointments on my Nexus One while out and about via the Exchange Mail account. No problem. I can also accept meeting requests and get reminder notifications for those appointments.

Fairly sure the iPhone can do the same - except I don't think the iPhone likes .ICS files so viewing a calendar invitation can sometimes be a problem....

somebody
24-01-2011, 12:57 PM
As Greven (and others) have said, a lot of it comes down to the administration and control that the IT administrators have over the devices. They can lock things down quite well, whereas consumer-focused smartphones like iPhones and Android devices allow the user to do more things which might be frowned upon for one reason or another.

Some features like remote wipe and so on have made it into iPhones, Android, and WinMo phones now, but the Blackberry platform is still a lot more "closed".

An organisation I'm doing some work for at the moment prohibits staff (and contractors/consultants) from accessing emails remotely EXCEPT via their Blackberry - i.e. they don't even have webmail, and cannot connect any other smartphone up to their email system.

Nomad
24-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I can create calendar appointments on my Nexus One while out and about via the Exchange Mail account. No problem. I can also accept meeting requests and get reminder notifications for those appointments.

Fairly sure the iPhone can do the same - except I don't think the iPhone likes .ICS files so viewing a calendar invitation can sometimes be a problem....

Just not creating them yourself. If on the work PC you get a appointment to your calendar. Can your calendar in your phone be automatically updated while you are outside?

Yep my Nokia E can lock up and wipe with an SMS ...

Nomad
24-01-2011, 01:03 PM
As Greven (and others) have said, a lot of it comes down to the administration and control that the IT administrators have over the devices. They can lock things down quite well, whereas consumer-focused smartphones like iPhones and Android devices allow the user to do more things which might be frowned upon for one reason or another.

Some features like remote wipe and so on have made it into iPhones, Android, and WinMo phones now, but the Blackberry platform is still a lot more "closed".

An organisation I'm doing some work for at the moment prohibits staff (and contractors/consultants) from accessing emails remotely EXCEPT via their Blackberry - i.e. they don't even have webmail, and cannot connect any other smartphone up to their email system.

Yep .. a larger org I worked with, used Telecom T3G sticks at the time but they also went thru a VPN I think and had a RSA device that generates passwords replies.

somebody
24-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Just not creating them yourself. If on the work PC you get a appointment to your calendar. Can your calendar in your phone be automatically updated while you are outside?

Yes.

I have my Nexus One hooked up to my work (Exchange) email, and can create calendar appointments in Outlook and they automatically sync through (same with contacts). This works whether I'm on the office WiFi or on 3G while at a customer site or similar.

I can create calendar appointments on my phone, and they'll sync through to Exchange (and Outlook) automatically. They syncing works both ways.

fnphoto
24-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Prior to getting a BB recently I had reasonable coverage here (90 Mile Beach) now I have NO coverage at home and had to pay extra for a Blackberry data plan. Nokia phones seem to have the better reception, I'm brassed off I gave mine away now. Is it normal for all smartphones to have hopeless reception?

johcar
24-01-2011, 01:19 PM
That depends - are you claiming that a Blackberry is a smartphone? :D

What network are you with and what model BB?? It may be that the BB you bought is designed for the OTHER network and the frequency it has (850MhZ or 900MhZ) is the wrong one...

fnphoto
24-01-2011, 01:56 PM
That depends - are you claiming that a Blackberry is a smartphone? :D

What network are you with and what model BB?? It may be that the BB you bought is designed for the OTHER network and the frequency it has (850MhZ or 900MhZ) is the wrong one...
The manufacturers call it a smartphone - I call it a dumbphone! From Telecom on their network!

johcar
24-01-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/ournetwork/coverage

Perhaps the BB doesn't have as good an aerial as the Nokia had...