PDA

View Full Version : Gmail labels with Outlook - filtering specifi messages as read

Chikara
23-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi all

I have a application on my phone that automatically backs up my text messages to email. It send a email with the subject line "SMS with John Smith" to back up any inward or outward SMS. This goes to my Gmail account, and the phone application tags it in Gmail with a label of 'SMS'.
So far so good.

I have a filter set up in Gmail, via the Gmail webpage.
The filter settings are:
Subject : SMS with
Actions: Skip the inbox (Archive it)
and Mark As Read

When I preview the filter, it works fine... it locates any emails with 'SMS with' in the subject line regardless of the wards afterwards.
And when I 'update filter and also apply filter to conversations below" (from settings) - it works fine. The messages labelled SMS now are read.

However, the setting does not seem to work on an ongoing basis. New messages still show as unread.

I've tried changing the option not to skip inbox, but the behaviour is still the same.

My email client is Outlook and my Gmail is configured as IMAP. So I thought instead, I could filter them in Outlook on my PC, marking them read that way. But, that doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can try to get this working? Specifically, the situation above..but also generally, working with labels in Gmail within outlook.
There is quite a bit of info on the net already about gmail labels and how they affect Outlook, but nothing that helps my situation above.

Thanks!

kahawai chaser
23-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I think if you create/apply a label in Gmail (with a name), then after skipping in-box/mark as read, filtered emails should always end there. Works for me.