PDA

View Full Version : Zone alarm bytes sent

25-09-2001, 12:01 AM
According to zone alarm I have apparently sent 210MB
of stuff today. What could this be about, because I'm pretty sure I should not have.

25-09-2001, 12:18 AM
assuming your on cable/isdn you could start by putting everything listed by zonealarm on 'question mark' and see what asks for net access while you have no apps running. then open a few of your commen apps that shouldn't be sending anuthing and see if they repeatedly ask to connect to the net.

do you have a lan? what os are you running?

25-09-2001, 12:54 AM
Check if your running a file sharing app in the background.

Most of them install themselvest to run in the background, and can eat up a lot of bandwidth.

25-09-2001, 10:14 AM
I have just a normal dial up connection. According to zone alarm i'd recieved~15MB, but sent~210MB??
Is it possible to send that much on normal dial up connection. I downloaded latest virus defs for norton and did full system scan to check nothing untoward was happening. Could it be that zone alarm is wrong. I'm using windows 98.no lan.

27-09-2001, 04:11 PM
I noticed the same thing with my version, which I thought was the latest (2.6)

I checked the amount of data I had REALLY sent out via the modem icon in the system tray and discovered the MB stated in ZoneAlarm should actually read as KB ... there seems to have been a typo during the making of the program and it appears as MB instead of KB.

Not much help, but that explains it ...

30-09-2001, 09:28 AM
You can also see bytes sent/received by using the DOS utility
(Start/Programs/MS-DOS prompt) type 'netstat -e' into the open DOS window.