PDA

View Full Version : Reboot computer as Administartor

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi

I'm trying to sort out a software installation problem. I have doe the things the vendor has told me to and I now have to "Boot the Computer as Admin".

I am the only user and have administrator rights, but is this the same thing? I'm trying to avoid wasting time so how do I ensure that I am the "true administrator"?

I'm on Vista Home Premium SP 2

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Well you cant boot the computer as admin. Since it boots and you're not even in windows. Whats the software installation prob exactly? Programs wont install? Something crashes?

Info here (http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_administrator_activate.htm)

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi Speedy

It's a bit of Title making software for video editing that fails to install an update patch properly. The manufacturers (I sed vendor earlier) said to uninstall the software, remove all registry values for it (which I think I've done using Revo Uninstaller and "Reboot as Admin" before reinstalling the software and patch. It's a German company so something may be lost in translation. I think he probably means me to make sure I've got full administrator rights before doing the re-install.

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Having admin rights is NOT the same as the full admin.

Do this -- start the computer as normal, click start, type in CMD - in the results, RIGHT click CMD / Run as Administrator. in the command box type in

net user administrator activate:yes Press enter.

You should get a message saying "The command completed successfully" if not, do it again.

Then to close the command box, type in exit, press enter. reboot the PC, NOW when it starts up you will have the option of the Real admin account, and your own - log into the Admin account.

to hide the account, replace :yes with :no

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Unless the manufacturer means right mouse on the install file / then run it as admin to install it? Or run the exe (after the program has been installed / right mouse / run as admin)? I would kill UAC as well. Its annoying

gary67
21-01-2011, 12:23 PM
You need to do this admin rights and administrator are not the same thing in Vista and Win7 as from Speedy's link

You may have admin rights but its NOT the real Admin account, this could be the problem.

click on the start type in cmd right click, run as administrator. In the CMD box type in net user administrator /active:yes once it says command successful - type in exit, reboot the PC, now you will see the real Administrator account, log into that.

once its all good, to rehide that admin account, same command as above but /active:no

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Speed y

I disabled UAC years ago - thanks

Hi Wainui and Gary - yeah, I knew there was a difference which is why I asked to see if it's different (?? - does that make sense?). I've tried both your versions (what's a front slash between friends?) and in both cases I'm gettin access denied (see first two attachments). I have noticed that in my Berlac report Administrator has a cross by it :confused: (see third attachment.

I don't log on as such - the lappy just boots straight into the desktop, though I don't suppose that makes a difference.

Next.......??

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Did you run the command prompt as admin?

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 02:02 PM
START > type in cmd > right click cmd.exe > clicked on Run as administrator
I've experimented with different spacings between different elements at the end of the command - what's the exact syntax cos Gary's line break in the posting comes at a critical stage. is it net_user_administrator_/active:yes ? where the underscores are the spaces?

Also do you type EXIT inside the cmd box as Gary implies, or after you've left it like Wainui says?

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Go to accessories / system tools / command prompt / right mouse / run as admin. Not CMD from run. There are no underscores in it

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 02:11 PM
No, I know there are no underscores - they're just to sho where I've put the spaces ;)

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Go to accessories / system tools / command prompt / right mouse / run as admin. Not CMD from run. There are no underscores in it

On mine the "Command Prompt" option is strait under "Accessories" and not in the "System Tools sub optio.

Same result tho' "Access denied".

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Looks like one guy fixed that error by using this (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/). Info from here (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/1fd4199a-1bee-44a4-93ca-132345495ca3). Even tho it was for was Win7, it probably applies to Vista

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 03:36 PM
There is another way to show the real admin account.Solution 1 here (http://en.kioskea.net/faq/300-access-the-hidden-administrator-account-in-windows-vista) failing that try the commands in safe mode. Vista sometimes can be real "protective" about what it allows.

You type exit in the command box to close the box when finished. Many people simply click the Red X ------- Typing exit = old habits I spose from DOS commands which are still used a LOT for doing certain thing.

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 04:05 PM
There is another way to show the real admin account.Solution 1 here (http://en.kioskea.net/faq/300-access-the-hidden-administrator-account-in-windows-vista) failing that try the commands in safe mode. Vista sometimes can be real "protective" about what it allows.

You type exit in the command box to close the box when finished. Many people simply click the Red X ------- Typing exit = old habits I spose from DOS commands which are still used a LOT for doing certain thing.

Hi Wainui

Before you posted this I read thru' the links that Speedy had posted and following what was said in the 2nd one booted into Safe Mode with Networking twice and that seemed to do. Your link is interesting - I'll keep that for future reference.

Belarc no longer shows the Administrator as being disabled. I reckon that got done when this lappie got sent back when the primary hard drive failed (luckily within warranty.

Yeah - old habits do die hard - I always type EXIT when exiting a DOS box - except when I forget! :o Just out of interest I tried things the way your first post kinda suggested and typed EXIT in the START > SEARCH box and that knocked out my Chrome connection!

Now, on the face of it, it seems I'll have to download the program again before I can re-install it - the original download was accessed from inside another program where it's a "Plug in". Since, from that's going to take about an hour I'll see if I can find it first - it must have gone somewhere!

As always folks - many thanks for your time and advice. :thumbs:

tuiruru
21-01-2011, 06:32 PM
After all that I still get the same error. So I guess it's another e-mail to the Software company and the wake for Germany to wake up.

Enjoy your weekend - weather permitting.