PDA

View Full Version : They called, they finally called again..............

Billy T
20-01-2011, 10:28 AM
At least She did! :clap

A very nice Indian lady kindly called to tell me my computer was infected with a virus. Sadly she was not made of the stuff that true con-artists are, and after a half-hearted attempt to convince me (and I was being very nice to her) she simply hung up in my ear.

I am beside myself with grief at the brevity of our acquaintance, but consoled by the realisation and reassurance that I have not been cast aside.

There is still hope..........and the pills..

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2011, 10:30 AM
That happened to me, the lady hung up on me. Maybe it's the women that just give up too easy?

Scouse
20-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Noooo. They're professional con artists and can smell an amateur con artist preparing to set them up....why waste the time?

pctek
20-01-2011, 12:22 PM
How disappointing. My one and only call was obviously a script reader and couldn't get past it and have a proper discussion and gave up after a very short time.
Bummer, no fun.

Myth
20-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Maybe they are members of this forum :eek:

WalOne
20-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I am beside myself with grief at the brevity of our acquaintance, but consoled by the realisation and reassurance that I have not been cast aside.

Billy T, why do you get all the excitement. I've been waiting in anticip ...
ation and the uplifting only a frisson resulting from such a call can bring.

But to no avail. They don't call me. Never. Ever.

I have been cast aside.

:waughh:

sarel
20-01-2011, 12:49 PM
WalOne, I also feel soooooooooooooo alone in the world. No calls, nothing. Do they think I'm ugly? *Sob*

sarel

wratterus
20-01-2011, 12:54 PM
WalOne, I also feel soooooooooooooo alone in the world. No calls, nothing. Do they think I'm ugly? *Sob*

sarel

Just think about Natalia, Sarel. She thought you were good looking. :clap

gary67
20-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I too sit waiting by the phone everyday, I am so much in anticipation of getting a call that I got myself out of work on ACC just so I could be with the phone 24/7. After all I would hate to be out and miss the call

John H
20-01-2011, 02:19 PM
SWMBO and I have had at least three calls.

1. I walked into the room whilst SWMBO was listening patiently, and I could tell from her responses that she was getting one of these calls. Frantic sign language to suggest she tell them to get lost, but she was more polite than me, and gently let them down (in an assertive way).

2. I got the next one. Halfway through the Indian guy's opening spiel, I gave him two words (the second was 'orf') and hung up on him.

3. SWMBO got the third one. She was less polite this time - "I DO NOT WANT TO TALK TO YOU' and she then hung up on him.

Clearly we aren't interested in stringing them along.

WalOne
20-01-2011, 02:47 PM

sarel

Probably.

But difficult to pin such a label to moi. :)

sarel
20-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Natalia, *drooooool*

sarel

SurferJoe46
20-01-2011, 05:16 PM
But does she have pom-poms?

pcuser42
20-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Just got another one of these calls :D

The Indian man told me he believed I was using "either Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7" (if he was actually from "Windows" he'd know for sure), so I told him I was using Linux :lol:

I was tempted to say Windows 98 :D

mikebartnz
20-01-2011, 08:37 PM
so I told him I was using Linux
Did he hang up straight away when you said that.

pcuser42
20-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Did he hang up straight away when you said that.

Surprisingly not, he actually said goodbye :stare:

mikebartnz
20-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Surprisingly not, he actually said goodbye :stare:
As I run Linux but have missed two calls, I have wondered about spinning them a line and seeing what happened

BigBadBob
20-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Caller ID ? or does their ph # not show?

mikebartnz
20-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I was away and someone else answered the phone that wouldn't know how to use a PC.

pcuser42
21-01-2011, 07:33 AM

Caller ID shows as 0000. :stare:

Next trick: play along, then pretend I'm blind and was actually entering the commands in the microwave :D :D :lol: :lol:

sarel
21-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I actually got this email this morning. Wonder if it's Natalia, looking for a new man? *Sigh*. Wimmin, you just can't please them.

Hi dear! I am for a decent man.

As for me, I am a young Russian girl
Do you like Russian women?

They are not just beautiful and smart, but very tolerant too.
Russian women value family and try to be with their husbands as much as possible.

It's time to get to know each other!
See you on marriage agency. Cheerio

B.M.
21-01-2011, 08:09 AM
I canít believe my filthy luck. :groan:

We got a call and the wife answered the phone. I heard her giving someone their pedigree, chapter and verse going back fifteen generations and thought it was just another telemarketer getting their beans.

Turned out it was the call I so looked forward to. :crying

gary67
21-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I actually got this email this morning. Wonder if it's Natalia, looking for a new man? *Sigh*. Wimmin, you just can't please them.

Russian women value family and try to be with their husbands as much as possible.

Wow you got a marriage proposal too, does Natalia have a younger sister?

johcar
21-01-2011, 08:49 AM

I read that quickly and had to read it again because I thought it was signed off "Cicero"!!!
:xmouth: :eek: :horrified

pcuser42
21-01-2011, 09:09 AM
I read that quickly and had to read it again because I thought it was signed off "Cicero"!!!
:xmouth: :eek: :horrified

:lol:

Billy T
21-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Noooo. They're professional con artists and can smell an amateur con artist preparing to set them up....why waste the time?

I feel rather deflated and quite insulted! Amongst other qualifications, I have a Diploma in Business Management (Hons) and consider myself to be a professional 'con-artiste', not a mere artist.

However, I must defer to the indisputably superior skills of Lawyers, Motor Mechanics, African Dictators, World Cup Football players, Advertising Executives, Financial Advisors, and Politicians, all of whom possess talents elevated to a higher plane! :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Some people DONT listen do they :groan: :groan:

Just had one of my customers call up jumping up and down saying their computer was full of viruses, etc - and the Nod32 they had installed wasn't working.

I HAD warned him a couple of times about these phone calls -- But they suckered him into giving the credit card details, and for their trouble are now $304 richer.

Told him to ring his Bank NOW !!! since they only called him 10 minutes ago, tell them whats happened and hopefully they can stop the transaction.

Wainui's on the hit list by the looks ---- I live in Hope :devil

Greven
21-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I've had a lot of customers caught by these scam phonecalls & some of them actually took a lot of convincing that the phonecall was not legit

pctek
21-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Just had one of my customers call up jumping up and down saying their computer was full of viruses, etc - and the Nod32 they had installed wasn't working.

But you can't help people who are too stupid to listen.
You warned him.
NOD wasn't reporting anything.

Sigh.

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 10:39 PM
NOD wasn't reporting anything.Exactly -- thats what I was trying to tell him, he even said Nods logs were clean.

Apparently customer told the scammer he had Nod32 - the person on the phone told him to look at the logs and directed him how to , and said see the antivirus is not working, as its not picking up anything--and of course he was very believable, esp after looking in the event Viewer and finding a few error messages (as you do).

One thing that had the scammer stumped, customer has Ccleaner to run auto on startup, so his temp files were clean. :D

Billy T
03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
She called back, or at least her twin sister did!

Sadly I didn't have time this evening to cement our relationship, so I was reduced to blasphemy to get her off the line.

Yes, I sank that low!

I told her I had a Mac :groan: :blush:

I am so ashamed.

And she went so gracefully and politely too.

Took all of 15 seconds to get her off the line. :thumbs:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Bobh
03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
She called back, or at least her twin sister did!

Sadly I didn't have time this evening to cement our relationship, so I was reduced to blasphemy to get her off the line.

Yes, I sank that low!-{)

Oh Dear how sad - the poor girl.

Why did it take as long as 15 seconds?

wainuitech
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Blimey Billy, they must have your number on speed dial with the amount of calls you get :p :lol:

Chilling_Silence
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Bahahahahaha!

Billy T
04-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Blimey Billy, they must have your number on speed dial with the amount of calls you get :p :lol:

I'm bloody amazed myself, in fact I can neither believe nor understand it. There is absolutely nothing special about my business number, in fact it is identical to my private number except for the last number, which is 2 digits higher, and they never call on that.

We used to hear the junk fax auto-diallers trolling through, first the home phone, then the business, then a longer wait till they hit the fax number that was 500 higher.

They just keep on damn well calling, so many in fact that I've lost count. I think it is up to 10 or 12 now. Unfortunately I don't always have time to come out and play with them.

I wish they'd go pester somebody else.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :mad:

Come to think of it, and I hadn't paid proper attention in the past, they are clearly working off a list of business phone numbers! They always ask for my ex-business partner because his name comes first in the company name, which actually looks like a christian name/surname combination.

Next time they ask for him I'll tell them he just died. :devil

Maybe they'll send flowers (Mrs T would like that) or better still, maybe they'll take him off their list of people they want to annoy!

Chilling_Silence
05-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Next time they ask for him I'll tell them he just died. :devil

Maybe they'll send flowers (Mrs T would like that) or better still, maybe they'll take him off their list of people they want to annoy![/I]

:thumbs: