PDA

View Full Version : Portable or pocket size Freeview TV or FreeView Tuner for Netbook

Geek4414
20-01-2011, 09:55 AM
A friend wants to use her NetBook to watch TV but I had a go with couple of TV Tuners with no luck. I know netbooks are very under powered and most USB Tuner requires 1.6GHz or 2GHz+ CPU.

Anyway, I tried couple of USB Tuners, a Pinnacle one that I have on hand, that sort of worked, but the picture keeps breaking up. Got another one from JayCar that specifically mentioned the eeePC on the box but that got no pictures whatsoever, it found all the channels, took ages to start the UI, then I can hear about 1/2 second of voice then just black screen. Took that one back and gave up on the idea and now she's thinking about a portable FreeView TV instead.

Portable or pocket size FreeviewTV ... Does anyone know of any such products available in NZ?

Or may be any suggestion of USB Tuner that will work with netbooks?

utopian201
20-01-2011, 10:04 AM
hauppage makes one that works well with my brother's notebook. However with freeview, tv1,2 and 3 are in HD, which I doubt the netbook would be able to decode.

Its possible you don't get a picture because it can't decode it fast enough and can't even get to decoding the sound.

Geek4414
20-01-2011, 10:16 AM
hauppage makes one that works well with my brother's notebook. However with freeview, tv1,2 and 3 are in HD, which I doubt the netbook would be able to decode.

Its possible you don't get a picture because it can't decode it fast enough and can't even get to decoding the sound.

Thanks for the quick reply. The Pinnacle one actually worked sort of ok with occasional breakups.

I have a Hauppage USB Tuner too, it worked ok on a 1.6GHz Core2Duo with 2GB, worked better when I boosted it up to 4GB of ram, but only in a window, didn't work that well full screen. It is now working extremely well on the new Core-i5 laptop, even running at full screen on the laptop screen while the laptop is being used heavily with dual monitor.

It's kind of getting into the too hard basket with TV Tuners, unless I know a specific tuner is known to work with netbooks. Actually, I wonder if an el-cheapo 2nd hand Celeron M (2GHz) laptop would work?

May be a portable FreeView TV (if they exist in NZ) is easier and will have instant-on.

psycik
20-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't think such a thing exists (Portable freeview tv). Our video/audio standard is quite advanced so not a lot of products support it yet.

The CPU of the netbook, or the USB tuner wont be the issue, it will be it's video capabilities. You'd need a hardware decoding capable laptop to decode Freeview (HD) - the DVB-T one. An ION2 based netbook may do it, but it's not something I've tried.

utopian201
20-01-2011, 12:13 PM
My athlon XP 1.6 cannot decode it. It is about the same speed as a netbook CPU/ P4 2.4ghz.