PDA

View Full Version : Processors, better or worse?

The Error Guy
20-01-2011, 01:27 AM
For a laptop, which processor would be better for gaming and media design work (and of course multi tasking)

The AMD Phenom 2 x4 @ 2GHz
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-560M 2.66 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8 GHz
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-740QM 1.73GHz Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz

Also mindful that this will be going in a machine <1500 NZD, that leaves really the AMD or the i5. Those i7's are REALLY expensive.

As far as I know the AMD Phenom is a better choice than a i5/7 since it doesn't have that turbo boost cr**.

But then again, maybe i'm wrong :D

Cheers people!!!

Erayd
20-01-2011, 02:00 AM
As far as I know the AMD Phenom is a better choice than a i5/7 since it doesn't have that turbo boost cr**.That makes no sense... why would you *not* want Turbo Boost? The whole point of it is to improve performance in single-threaded tasks by selectively overclocking* one of the cores where possible to deal with the load.

*Not really overclocking, because the CPU is designed for it, but you get the point.

DaveBritton
20-01-2011, 02:03 AM
I would personally go for the Phenom, as you get a decent processor for a decent price leaving more for better graphics card and memory, or even an SSD. For performance at a reasonable price the i5 is good too, the processor in my sig is a similar (although older) architecture and it flys.

The Error Guy
20-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Eyrad, I though the same thing when I first looked at the i core line, the problem is the turbo boost relies on the other cores being idle for the CPU to "overclock" if the cores are in use then it will put the remaining cores into sleep mode and work from the 1st core. therefore a quad core will not have 4 cores running at 3GHz (or whatever the turbo freq is) instead there will be one core taking the load.

At least thats how I read/interpreted the specs... I may be wrong so correct me if I am.

As far as I know, a 2.5GHz dual core will out perform a 1.6 GHz, turbo 2.8 GHz processor easily... then again, this info may also be based on incorrect statements.

I'm stating to feel reeeeally stupid if I have been wrong for the last 4 days :o

pctek
20-01-2011, 07:37 AM
For a laptop, which processor would be better for gaming and media design work (and of course multi tasking)

Gaming??
Laptop??

The most important component for gaming is the Graphics card.
Laptops and graphics cards - Not.

Snorkbox
20-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Gaming??
Laptop??

The most important component for gaming is the Graphics card.
Laptops and graphics cards - Not.

I would not game on a laptop but the question asked wasn't answered.

If you WERE gaming on a laptop which is the best processor?

8ftmetalhaed
20-01-2011, 08:40 AM
In a laptop the i5 would probably be the best bet. My gateway works quite nicely, although I think it needs some extra ram and tlc since it has a tendency to ***** a bit. But it can run l4d2 with its 5470 on minimum settings and get a fairly high framerate at 720p res.
And I got it for like, $1400 with a bag and norton 2010. (lol)
But if you can, find a slightly better GPU than mine. It's fabulous, but not godly.

dugimodo
20-01-2011, 08:54 AM
With or without turbo the i5 is much faster at the same clock speed than a phenom 2, AMD generally make up for this by being cheaper. AMD & Intel CPU's at the same price (as opposed to clock speed) generally perform very close to each other making it more a matter of preference than performance.

At the high end the fastest i5's and all the i7's are beyond AMD's current offerings, here's hoping AMD's bulldozer changes all that.

inphinity
20-01-2011, 09:30 AM
The i5, it's a much higher clockspeed than the Phenom and most games still don't take proper advantage of more than 2 cores.

The exception would be if the Phenom were significantly cheaper and allowed at least a full tier step up in GPU for the cost difference.

Cellux
20-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Are the sandy bridge processors in laptops yet?
They have a pretty nice graphics thing integrated into them.

inphinity
20-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Are the sandy bridge processors in laptops yet?
They have a pretty nice graphics thing integrated into them.

As far as I'm aware, it's not good enough for any serious gaming though, it's about equivalent of a Radeon 4550 / GeForce 9400. Fine if you just want something that can run WoW but if you want genuine graphics grunt it's not up to the task.

utopian201
20-01-2011, 10:06 AM
the intel graphics are about the same as a radeon 5450 I think, so not quite usable for games.

The turbo boost works even when all 4 cores are active, its just a smaller boost the one you get when only one core is needed.

If your notebook has an express card slot, you can use desktop graphics cards with them.

8ftmetalhaed
20-01-2011, 10:37 AM
However most lower end laptops don't have them, since students and teachers rarely need anything more than usb and headphone outs, and perhaps a DVD player and burner.

And sandy bridge cpu's are a bit too new, you'll have to wait a little bit before they start filtering down to laptops here.

pctek
20-01-2011, 12:33 PM
If you WERE gaming on a laptop which is the best processor?

It would never happen. I would never game on a laptop. In fact I don't have a laptop for any purpose at all.

Apart from the lack of gaming abilities, they also can't be upgraded either. If I was forced to game on something that wasn't a proper PC I'd buy a PS3.

The Error Guy
20-01-2011, 01:04 PM
if I was after serious gaming, I would not be getting a laptop. unfortunately the boarding house prohibits desktop computers. That leaves only a laptop solution.

I have all ready checked out some applicable gfx cards that seem decent enough, considering the limited choice available.

I won't be gaming hard at all on this, mostly lower end games such as MW1 for LAN games and some single player FPS/RPG. Basicly, game wise I want enough to give me a decent frame rate and a few shiny bits. nothing epic.

So, it seems the general conclusion is that is should get the i5 dual core in favour of the AMD Quad?

Cheers for the input! I was walking myself around in circles with this lot.

Oh, and I'll only be keeping this thing (laptop) in general use for 1-3 years at the MOST. I finish school in another year or so, so I won't be needing a laptop :D :D

8ftmetalhaed
20-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Well post up the rest of the specs and prices, we'll let you know :)

SolMiester
20-01-2011, 01:49 PM
i5 is the best all rounder there, even at its default speed, its faster than the Phenom

The Error Guy
20-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Your dv6zse series

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor AMD Phenom(TM) II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N970 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) edit
Graphics card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 6550 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA] edit
Memory FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
Office software No Additional Office Software edit
Security software No additional security software edit
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 4.5 hours of battery life +++ edit
Display 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Display (1366x768) edit
Touchscreen Multi touch TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam) edit
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Networking Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n Card with Bluetooth (Dual Band) edit
Keyboard Backlit Keyboard with HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader edit

And the i5

Color: black cherry

Your dv7t series

Color black cherry edit
Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-580M Dual Core Processor (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz edit
Graphics card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors edit
Memory 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
Office software No Additional Office Software edit
Security software No additional security software edit
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 5.0 hours of battery life +++ edit
Keyboard Standard Keyboard edit
Display 17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900) edit
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization HP TrueVision Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone edit
Networking Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth edit

Sorry about the messy specs. this netbook i'm using has a TINY screen and its too hard to edit everything to be easy to read. copied direct from the HP custom site.

So sorry again :(

8ftmetalhaed
20-01-2011, 02:37 PM
the i5 one sounds miles better. I first thought the graphics card would be worse than the amd one but it seems the 6550 is just a renamed 5650 with a few tweaks.
So yeah, get the second one I would say.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6550M.41143.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5650.23697.0.html

Just see what you can find out about the cooling setup though.
I've seen topics around here recently about dv6 and dv5's with crappy cooling that overheat to 90 degrees idle or something ridiculous.

The Error Guy
20-01-2011, 03:57 PM
It's because they run the Gfx and the CPU from the same heatpipe, under heavy CPU and GPU loads the system cannot cope with the heat.

But cooling is fixable (with case "tweaks") :D but only if it does seem problematic. I know 2x people with DV6's and they run fine (i5's too!!)

The whole reason I confused myself was because I thought i5's had a quad core model, then I realised about the hyper threading. and went off in a wild search for a "real" quad core

Agent_24
20-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Personally I would buy the AMD, but that's just me.

The Error Guy
20-01-2011, 06:41 PM
damn agent, the seed of doubt it sown in me again!!!!

drat my indecisive mind!! :D

Agent_24
20-01-2011, 06:55 PM
But I am an AMD fanboy so of course I would say that :p

The Error Guy
20-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Compared to intel's at the time I purchased my original lappy anyone would have been an AMD man.

grr, can't decide!!! the AMD has a smaller screen but it has a multi touch screen.

EDIT, oh wait!! I can decide. according to passmarks benchmarks the Phenom rated highest compared to the i5 (rating 4,533) just a few decisions left.

Alex B
20-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Personally I'd never buy an AMD laptop. The amount I have seen with over heating issues/ dead system boards would be like 4/1 compared with Intel.