PDA

View Full Version : Trouble printing from terminal server

DaveBritton
19-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi again,

We are having trouble here with one user and his printer. He is located at another office, and has a Windows XP machine and a HP laserjet 2200dn printer.

We recently set up a terminal server (Win server 2008 R2 x64) to help keep everyones files located more centrally, and everyone is up and running fine apart from this one user. We tested using my PC (Vista) and the same printer, but it worked fine. All other users (mostly using laserjet 4000 series printers) are all able to print fine too.

There is nothing in the event log related to the issue as far as I can see. We have tried removing then reinstalling the device and all the usual fixes like power cycling everything. Tried installing the HP universal drivers (x86 and x64) on the server, made no difference.

Does anyone have any advice at all?

Thanks, Dave.

SolMiester
20-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi Dave, is the printer auto created for re-direction on the users terminal server profile when he connects?, does the user have any other printers re-creating for re-directions?, usually it is the server not recognising the printer driver from the client pc. I would presume this is an issue relating to a 32 bit xp driver and the server not knowing what x64 driver to use and therefore not re-creationg the printer. There is a printer text file (well used to be in 2000/2003 where you can list client printers and the corresponding driver on the server.....

As a first attempt, I would download the x64 server driver for the printer and install the printer locally on the server, just use a local LTP port and once the printer installed, delete from printers. This will register the printer and drivers, then try a client session. If still issues, look up for the printer text file, if still issues, try this page for ideas....
http://www.ditii.com/2007/08/24/terminal-server-and-printer-redirection/

DaveBritton
20-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi Dave, is the printer auto created for re-direction on the users terminal server profile when he connects?, does the user have any other printers re-creating for re-directions?, usually it is the server not recognising the printer driver from the client pc. I would presume this is an issue relating to a 32 bit xp driver and the server not knowing what x64 driver to use and therefore not re-creationg the printer. There is a printer text file (well used to be in 2000/2003 where you can list client printers and the corresponding driver on the server.....

Yes, there is one other printer being automatically created and re-directed (a 4000 series laserjet using PCL5 universal driver). The server picks up the correct driver when I set up the same model printer (2200dn) on my local machine and connect. But I am on x86 Vista, so slightly different.

As a first attempt, I would download the x64 server driver for the printer and install the printer locally on the server, just use a local LTP port and once the printer installed, delete from printers. This will register the printer and drivers, then try a client session. If still issues, look up for the printer text file, if still issues, try this page for ideas....
http://www.ditii.com/2007/08/24/terminal-server-and-printer-redirection/

I have tried this exact fix already, but I will look into the text file and see what can be done there.

Thanks for the suggestions, any more are welcome.

SolMiester
20-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Hi Dave, i think the issue is the xp x86 driver uses a completely different API for the printer driver compared to the 2008 server, where vista x86 is similar. Legacy printing requires matching printer drivers. Is there a newer x86 xp driver for the printer, otherwise i think you need to find the text file i mentioned and add the line like;
XP printer name = vista\2008 printer name.

or, see if you can find a universal printer driver, or perhaps try the easy printing feature in windows 2008, though i have no experience of this as yet!
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2007/04/26/introducing-terminal-services-easy-print-part-1.aspx

DaveBritton
21-01-2011, 06:06 AM
As usual, it was a stupid obvious fix in the end. I was fiddling with settings on the users local machine and noticed the printer was using a 2200 series PCL driver. As soon as I installed the Universal PCL6 driver and switched it to that it worked just fine. Thanks for the help.

SolMiester
21-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Ah...yeah matching PCL version helps too...LOL