PDA

View Full Version : Crap network speeds

8ftmetalhaed
18-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Shifted house, joined orcon, debacle, speeds were ok but mum's been youtubing and our speeds are **** tonight. (and as of late, i guess)
router claims 13 mbit, speedtest claims 1.5 both locally and internationally before router restart, 5mbit after 2 minute restart of the router.
Currently downloading a 78mb video at 20kb /s or lower.

Any ideas? I'm on one of telecon's cabinets in Te Atatu south using a belkin wireless G 4 port modem/router.

Would a router that's too hot cause the problem, or perhaps the crappy weather?

DeSade
18-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I think this might explain it.

Orcon

Broadband is down for some customers. We are rebooting the card causing the problem overnight to fix the issue. Sorry for the outage. ^QR

Orcon

Some customers on our Orcon+ (LLU) network in Auckland are experiencing loss of broadband. We are working to fix this. Apologies. ^QR

8ftmetalhaed
18-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Odd, since I'm not on their orcon + network thanks to the telecom crapocab.
But it might explain it yes, I just figured I should come and ***** and get a second opinion from the knowledgeable folks here too.

Although that would only explain tonight's absolutely crap speeds. Wouldn't really explain why youtube has to quite often buffer more than a few times during a video whereas being on the red network at my previous address had no such issues.

DeSade
18-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Can't really answer that, I occasionally have to buffer also but I am in Christchurch so no unbundled lines here makes a difference

mzee
18-01-2011, 10:19 PM
I am with Orcon, the speed started out as 4.9 mbps then dropped to 1.9 mbps. My TP-link modem/rooter was new so I didn't suspect it. Chorus remade some of the connections but it was still down. Dug out an ancient DSE router and that went up to 4.6 mbps, the TP-link has been returned to the manufacturers. Orcon say that it would go up to 4.9 again if they disabled interleaving, but could become unstable due to our distance from the exchange, and that 5.2 is the maximum possible on our line.

8ftmetalhaed
18-01-2011, 11:02 PM
well, seems the issue has resolved itself, must've been their router issue.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1116566086.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1116567402.png

Snorkbox
18-01-2011, 11:11 PM
The issue resolved itself with no intervention?

The Error Guy
19-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I was about 1km from the cabinet getting 2mbs. then they "upgraded" the cabinet, same ADSL2 modem same wiring. the only diff was an upgrade to 8-11mbps and 60ms ping to Auk/ChCh. dunno what they did but it was good. for the last year there has been a GPON fiber cable about 2m from my back door and a 2.5 tb/s cable 55m under my front door. I want to see if orcon will put me on the GPON network :D

So pre upgrade orcon, I hated it however it was a hardware problem not so much ISP. Post upgrade (and post broadband cap upgrade) I am loving the purple. its a bit cheaper than most other ISP's too.

Still, you can't beat what I have in china! Unlimited cap on a 1/1mbps pla for about $50 NZD. (free for the 1st year) and when I move over i'll get it upgraded to a 50 mbps line $1 a gb. oh sweet cheap broadband!

(you can also get up to 5/2 mbps unlimited)

The Error Guy
19-01-2011, 01:08 AM
I was about 1km from the cabinet getting 2mbs. then they "upgraded" the cabinet, same ADSL2 modem same wiring. the only diff was an upgrade to 8-11mbps and 60ms ping to Auk/ChCh. dunno what they did but it was good. for the last year there has been a GPON fiber cable about 2m from my back door and a 2.5 tb/s cable 55m under my front door. I want to see if orcon will put me on the GPON network :D

So pre upgrade orcon, I hated it however it was a hardware problem not so much ISP. Post upgrade (and post broadband cap upgrade) I am loving the purple. its a bit cheaper than most other ISP's too.

Still, you can't beat what I have in china! Unlimited cap on a 1/1mbps pla for about $50 NZD. (free for the 1st year) and when I move over i'll get it upgraded to a 50 mbps line $1 a gb. oh sweet cheap broadband!

(you can also get up to 5/2 mbps unlimited data cap)

pctek
19-01-2011, 06:18 AM
telecom crapocab.

ADSL service has a maximum distance of 5,460 m

VDSL can achieve speeds, as high as 52 Mbps downstream and 16 Mbps upstream. But VDSL can only operate over the copper line for a short distance, about 1,200 m.

And Telecom are upgrading the"crapocab" to VDSL.

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2011, 07:49 AM
At least tat south has been cabinetized, I've gotta wait until September and I'm just across the other side of the motorway :(

8ftmetalhaed
19-01-2011, 08:05 AM
'at least'?
I have to pay an extra $20 a month than what I used to because I'm on wholesale pricing. :(
We're broke enough as it is.

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2011, 08:17 AM
?

Explain?

8ftmetalhaed
19-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Orcon have their shiny orcon + network hooked up in my area, but because i'm routed through a cabinet I apparently can't get that so have to go through telecom's wholesale pricing, which means I pay $107 a month for 30gb with $2/gb over that.
Which is really annoying because back in tat pen on the red network I paid $90 a month for the exact same bloody thing with seemingly more consistent speeds (albeit with a slightly higher ping)

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2011, 10:36 AM
If the speeds are inconsistent then that's almost definitely Orcon, and as has been mentioned Orcon were having difficulties with international routing. Since the backhaul upgrade that every exchange has had with ADSL2+ and VDSL2, not to mention the roadside cabinets, I've never seen the backhaul nationally as the issue. Only where ADSL1 is offered on non-upgraded exchanges is that still the case.

Vodafones RED network and Orcons + network I believe are pretty much just in the Exchanges at this stage. From what I can gather, Orcon don't have their gear in the tat south or henderson exchanges. Vodafone have their gear in the peninsula exchange, henderson, AND tat south. Why did you change from Vodafone?

8ftmetalhaed
19-01-2011, 11:04 AM
When we shifted house last time it was on a year long lease. This time round, we're not on a fixed lease so can't afford the $200 cutoff/line moving fee if we should happen to move for some reason. So we chose orcon for non contract purposes.

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2011, 11:05 AM
You could simply move your "contract" with you to your new premises...

8ftmetalhaed
19-01-2011, 11:14 AM
last time I shifted vodafone tried charging me $250 to do that, even though I was actually off contract at that point.
So I made them give me another year's contract instead, which they did.