PDA

View Full Version : HDMI to RCA

kbp
18-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi, does anyone know where I can find a cable for HDMI to 6 RCA? I bought this new Sony Blu Ray Player but only has HDMI output and 2 stereo audio outputs. If I want to play 5.1 channel, I cannot connect the HDMI to my 5.1 system which only takes RCA. I have googled it but cant seem to find HDMI with 6 RCA (5 RCA) is available. Any ideas anyone?

robsonde
18-01-2011, 10:22 AM
HDMI is a digital system, your 5.1 audio system is most likely analog...

what you need is a receiver that has HDMI inputs and analog outputs.

kbp
18-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Ok thanks. where can I find this?

wmoore
18-01-2011, 11:41 AM
What model Sony is it ? It should have Component Video Output . Can you take a picture of the back.

Bobh
18-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Try Jaycars (http://www.jaycar.co.nz/) they have a good selection of both HDMI and RCA products. You might find what you are looking for there.

utopian201
18-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Why do you need 6 RCA for 5.1? Doesn't 5.1 only have 6 channels? ie 1 cable for front left/right, 1 cable for rear left/right and 1 cable for centre/sub => 3 cables. What are the other 3 for?

Or are you meaning connecting the speakers -directly- do your blue ray player? Or does your 5.1 system require 6 different channel inputs?

Your 5.1 sound system should have either
3x3.5mm inputs (for analog, commonly only in computer speakers) or
1xrca/1x optical (or both) for dolby/dts digital 5.1. If that is the case, you'll need a demux/demultiplexter to separate the audio stream from the video stream in the hdmi signal.

Your blue ray player should have at least hdmi out and spdif/optical out. Are you sure it has -two- stereo outputs? I think one will be a stereo output, the other will be spdif.

If you plug your hdmi cable into your tv, the tv should act as a demux and have 1xrca or 1xoptical for 5.1 audio out to a dolby/dts decoder (your 5.1 system).
If your tv doesn't have this output, your blue ray player should have spdif/optical out - most cheap dvd players have this.

I don't think you'll find a hdmi->rca dongle, it will need an active converter since the signal is digital. The days where passive dongles can separate signals into different cables are over since the signals are digital, not analog.

pine-o-cleen
18-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Why do you need 6 RCA for 5.1? Doesn't 5.1 only have 6 channels? ie 1 cable for front left/right, 1 cable for rear left/right and 1 cable for centre/sub => 3 cables. What are the other 3 for?
It's possible that his surround sound receiver only has analogue so one cable for each channel = 6 cables. But I've never seen a receiver that doesn't at least have a coax / optical input.

kbp
26-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Well what my Sony Blu Ray player has is:
1 x HDMI
1 x Video out (rca)
2 x Audio out (rca L/R)

What my 5.1 Surround System (about 6 yrs old) has is:
6 x RCA inputs {Left front, Right Front, Left rear, Right rear, Centre, Subwoofer}
1 x S-Video input

Upto now, I was using my 5.1 DVD player which has 6 x RCA outputs for Audio (lets leave the video aside) which went perfect with the 5.1 surround system. The DVD player also had stereo 2 x RCA audio outputs for connecting to TV. But the Bly Ray now does not have the facility. As above I have connected the TV and Blu Ray via HDMI and plays perfect but what about the surround (??) no idea.

dugimodo
26-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Does your TV have 5.1 analog outputs ? if so that might be the way.

I can't think of an easy way to achieve this, I have seen devices advertised overseas that look like they might do this but not locally. You may have to replace the amplifier of your surround sound system, but I am surprised you dont have an optical and or coaxial output for digital 5.1 on the Blu-ray.

The Error Guy
26-01-2011, 09:42 PM
by optical and coax we are referring to these poerts (in case you didn't know what they look like) http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=200 sometimes they can be quite hard to see, often on the other side of the player.

What model/brand is your player and sound system?

Zippity
26-01-2011, 09:56 PM
by optical and coax we are referring to these poerts (in case you didn't know what they look like) http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=200 sometimes they can be quite hard to see, often on the other side of the player.

What model/brand is your player and sound system?

Clicked on the image link lately? :banana:banana:banana

ubergeek85
26-01-2011, 11:12 PM
To get around that, go to the homepage of that site, then paste the image URL in and go from there.

utopian201
27-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Well what my Sony Blu Ray player has is:
1 x HDMI
1 x Video out (rca)
2 x Audio out (rca L/R)

What my 5.1 Surround System (about 6 yrs old) has is:
6 x RCA inputs {Left front, Right Front, Left rear, Right rear, Centre, Subwoofer}
1 x S-Video input

Upto now, I was using my 5.1 DVD player which has 6 x RCA outputs for Audio (lets leave the video aside) which went perfect with the 5.1 surround system. The DVD player also had stereo 2 x RCA audio outputs for connecting to TV. But the Bly Ray now does not have the facility. As above I have connected the TV and Blu Ray via HDMI and plays perfect but what about the surround (??) no idea.

Sounds like you'll need a decoder. What tv do you have? It should have HDMI in and spdif out. What you'll need is a dolby/dts decoder to decode the digital spdif audio signal into Left front, Right Front, Left rear, Right rear, Centre, Subwoofer (commonly carried over 3 signals but in your case 6). You can use 3.5mm to rca y splitters to achieve this.

Or just get a new audio system with a dolby/dts decoder. Most surround sound systems have this. What sound system do you have? I'm using the logitech z5500D which has the decoder.

The Error Guy
27-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Haha, the link worked BEFORE I posted it :p

joe_exception
28-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Can you find the model number of your BD player? As far as I know, there is no Sony BD player that 'only' has HDMI and stereo RCA outputs... They all have at least an optical or coaxial SPDIF output as well for audio and every one sold up until this point have an option for component video output as well.

Optical is a little (5mm square) black connector. Coaxial is (usually) a single orange RCA connector. (Component video is Red Green and Blue RCA connectors; if it's a PS3 you have you need an adaptor cable for component video).

Pretty-much every home theatre (5.1 channel) amp sold in the last 10 years will accept a digital input that carries all the 6 channels using either the optical or coaxial connector. Amps from the past couple of years will generally decode the surround sound audio along with the video when you use the HDMI connector.

Hope that makes sense. Let us know how you get on.

...oh and 90% of TVs with HDMI-in and optical-out won't pass the surround sound on to your amp. HDMI works via a series of 'handshakes' - if the TV identifies itself as "stereo compatible" that's all that will be delivered to it over the HDMI connection, so that's all it can pass on to the amp. Basically, that means you won't be able to use you TV as a decoder for the surround sound.

pine-o-cleen
28-01-2011, 09:05 PM
How long has it been since the OP has posted? I think he / she has gone away....

kbp
09-03-2011, 10:06 AM
yes been away sorry, left this problem to sort something else out. Now back ....

Regarding above "Optical is a little (5mm square) black connector. Coaxial is (usually) a single orange RCA connector."

my blu-ray is Sony BDP-S370 and the back looks like this ...http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0036WS4CA/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

I noticed it does have Optical S/PDIF port. So what do I need (cables etc??) to connect from this SPDIF or Coaxial to the 6 audio channels on the 5.1 amp? I only want the audio out in the 6 channel, I know the video side of it.

pine-o-cleen
09-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Use the SPDIF output.

Any of these

http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/catalog/entry?entry=286

utopian201
10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure if people are actually reading this thread before posting.

I noticed it does have Optical S/PDIF port. So what do I need (cables etc??) to connect from this SPDIF or Coaxial to the 6 audio channels on the 5.1 amp? I only want the audio out in the 6 channel, I know the video side of it.

You'll need spdif decoder (eg an av box) to decode the digital spdif audio signal into 6 analog channels. If you read my two previous posts, they say the same thing too.

Use the SPDIF output.

Any of these

http://www.cablesdirect.co.nz/catalog/entry?entry=286

Well, actually no they wont work because if you bothered to read the previous posts, his sound system doesn't have spdif in.

kbp
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
well to make things simple for all to understand, I have placed the photos of the back of the Blu ray Player and 5.1 Surround system on this site (sorry dont have a colour scanner at work but it's black and white)

http://www.photovision.co.nz/br_vs_surround.html?r=20110210131203

Click on each photo to enlarge. Then you can tell me what exactly I need and where I can buy it from. Your suggestions are highly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Agent_24
10-03-2011, 01:46 PM
You need something like this: http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hddodtsdihdo.html

I saw some which can take S/PDIF but they output only stereo, not 5.1 surround.

kbp
10-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Hummm that should do the trick .. except the company does not send it outside US and Canada (sad) Don't know how to get it to NZ ? Do you think Jaycar would have it?

utopian201
10-03-2011, 04:37 PM
what kind of plug is the 5.1 CH input 2 on your sound system?

If it is orange and RCA as well, then you'll need a single RCA plug from your orange coaxial output from your bluray player into the 5.1 CH input 2.

Agent_24
10-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Hummm that should do the trick .. except the company does not send it outside US and Canada (sad) Don't know how to get it to NZ ? Do you think Jaycar would have it?

You might find something on eBay, or ask them nicely if they'll ship here.

Don't know if Jaycar would have it... There was a kit recently in Silicon Chip which converted from Coax to Toslink and vice-versa but that doesn't really help....

Greven
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
what kind of plug is the 5.1 CH input 2 on your sound system?

If it is orange and RCA as well, then you'll need a single RCA plug from your orange coaxial output from your bluray player into the 5.1 CH input 2.

That connection is too large to be digital coax. It is hard to find information on the amp, but I found an old trademe auction that states the 5.1 input 2 has multiple pins.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Home-theatre/auction-255645420.htm

It is hard to tell how big the connection is, but I think it might be a full size jack connection that oldschool headphones use. I don't know of anything that outputs 5.1 surround using that connection though.

pine-o-cleen
10-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Well that makes it clearer.....sort of.

The input labelled '5.1 channel input 2', what kind of connector is it (can't make it out)?

Is it an RCA connector (like all the other ones) but orange, or black? Or something else?

kbp
11-03-2011, 10:55 PM
the '5.1 channel input 2' is an S-Video input with 8 pin holes. That's where I had originally connected the 5.1 channel input and on the other side was 6 RCA's going into the DVD player before.
The Auraiga Surround sound only have this:
6 x RCA (for surround)
2 x RCA (for stereo)
1 x S-video (5.1 ch input 2)

pine-o-cleen
11-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Well then you're s**t outa luck.

You will need some sort of converter to convert the digital signals of your blu-ray player into an analogue signal for your receiver.

pine-o-cleen
11-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Found one!

You need this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdv-18a-5-1-ch-dolby-digital-dts-ac3-sound-audio-decoder-44701

pine-o-cleen
11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
...and some standard RCA leads to go from the 5.1 output to your 5.1 inputs on your receiver.

pine-o-cleen
04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
or this...

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5-1-channel-dts-ac-3-home-theater-audio-decoder-71817

Speedy Gonzales
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Sounds similar to to the Xbox 360 HD AV connector. Thats got 6 RCA connectors on it, but it uses something similar to scart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xbox-360-component-cables.jpg

I've got this connector, but only 5 connections are used (the yellow one isnt used)

You dont have to use all the connections. It'll still work