PDA

View Full Version : Can't run new task from Task Manager from VNC

stephen
18-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi there,

Having a bit of a problem at work between some client PC's. All running XPSP3 with VNC, but with no explorer process running. On most of them, we are able to VNC in, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Task Manager , New Task, and run explorer (or any other command) and troubleshoot problems that may occur. On one particular group, however, we can VNC in, start Task Manager via Ctrl+Alt+Delete, but clicking File --> New Task (Run...) automatically opens a Command Prompt, and disables keyboard input. I have compared all the VNC settings with the clients that it works on, but have been unable to find any differences in the settings.

Anybody know or heard of this type of behaviour before and able to shed some light on the matter? Have had a look online without any luck so far.

Stephen

inphinity
18-01-2011, 10:31 AM
It's not a VNC setting, it's likely a group policy or other security policy being applied to the machine(s).

stephen
18-01-2011, 11:10 AM
I thought so too, but when I use a k/b and mouse at the machine locally, it works fine. Also, when I click on log off after sending an Ctrl+Alt+Delete, it comes up with the message "Are you sure you want to logoff? If you continue, this user's Windows session will end and any unsaved data will be lost. Do you want to continue?"

The Error Guy
18-01-2011, 01:58 PM
The security settings on the local machine will be specific to remote access. If you try by physically going to the machine an typing, the security won't apply since its not a remote connection.

Check the group policy settings (as pre stated) and see if there is anything there. Only thing that is interesting is the fact it disables the k/b, I haven't heard of that before