PDA

View Full Version : Any Avira users out there ?

Digby
18-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi Guys

I have been using Avira anti virus (due to some recommendations on here) for the last 2 months.

I am very pleased with it so far.

Have any of you any comments on it - positive or negative ?

(Please don't mention other programs - just Avira)

Agent_24
18-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I used to use the free version and quite liked it but the nagvertisements were a bit annoying (although not terrible)

However the latest version made the detection window really crappy, they removed the option I usually used and so I dumped it.

I was only really using it because at the time Comodo Antivirus wasn't that great but now it's much better so I just use that now.

garyasta
18-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I used Avira Premium for some time and was always happy with it.
However, I was also using Sunbelt Firewall and when Sunbelt came up with a malware, virus and firewall package, I changed over.

Grimy
18-01-2011, 08:56 PM
I use the free version on a laptop and have never had any problem with it. The pop up when updating is annoying, but hey it's free, so you expect that.
Happy to keep using it.

CYaBro
18-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I thought it was OK, until today.
Got a machine in the workshop running Avira, all up to date, and it wasn't picking up anything even though machine was infected with Antivirus 2011.

autechre
19-01-2011, 07:31 AM
I thought it was OK, until today.
Got a machine in the workshop running Avira, all up to date, and it wasn't picking up anything even though machine was infected with Antivirus 2011.
I'd expect MalwareBytes or some other anti-malware to pick that up. If you're relying on 1 (free) AV program to do it all, you're expecting too much :)

I have used Avira for years and haven't had too many problems. It's pretty quick and doesn't take too many resources.
It does tend to have a few false-positives, but you can set it to ignore those files.

Morgenmuffel
19-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I have used Avira for years and haven't had too many problems. It's pretty quick and doesn't take too many resources.
It does tend to have a few false-positives, but you can set it to ignore those files.
Same here, i haven't had any major problems, it just works and does its thing, I am using the full paid for suite, so no popups for me.

Netsukeninja
19-01-2011, 10:43 AM
I used to use it but it appeared to not like speedtest.net, kept showing insanely fast speeds, so I switched to avast