PDA

View Full Version : Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Question
18-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This is pissing me off back time. I have a ticket with HIS(the card vendor) but its been 3 weeks and they have done nothing but run me in circles with variations of "reinstall drivers", which i have done many times. I even did a clean uninstall with driver sweeper and tried older versions of the drivers.

When this happens, my PC freezes, screen goes to black, and i eventually get my display back.

This only seems to happen while playing Vindictus, but i dont really have any other graphic intensive games to test this out on...alpha centauri and fallout 3 seem fine(no problems), but this isnt a common problem with the game(i know several other people who have no problems playing it). Watching movies is fine. Browsing web is fine. Attempting to run vindictus with even the slightest overclock results in repeated black screens very quickly. Running it without any overclock is fine, but i am almost always guaranteed a black screen for several hours of play.

Im fairly sure its not an overheat, since i have fan perma set to 75% and the load temps only go up to around 80 degrees celsius at the highest.

Searching on the net reveals a lot of possible reasons, but nothing concrete.

Any ideas on this?

pctek
18-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Why deal with the manufactuer? You should RMA to the retailer if you think the card is faulty.

Test it with 3DMark.

And update the driver. Or if it is the latest go back to an older one - off ATIs website.

Richardd150
18-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi.
See my thread "PC possibly overheating?", I was having similar issues with my card and getting the same symptoms (and more) and that error message (playing Sacred 2 and Fallout 3. Turned out to be 3 stuffed capacitors on the card. Check to see if the tops of the caps are bulging or there's any leakage/lifting around the base.

Mind you , my card is a few years old - I'm assuming yours is a new 'un?

gary67
18-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I was getting that problem at least once a week running onboard graphics, dropped in a graphics card and is down to once a month or less using win7 64bit

Agent_24
18-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Could be faulty card or underpowered PSU.

Question
19-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Ive tried fiddling with driver versions. No luck.

No evidence of damage on the card. Im not sure how old the card is actually...i bought it from someone else. On the back theres a bunch of dates and the numbers "08" and "11" are crossed out, thats probably the manfacture date thoguh. And the reasons why i havent RMAed it yet is because i have no spare card.

PSU is an antec earthwatts 500, which is more than sufficient to power this old system(core 2 duo, 2 memory sticks, 1 HDD, 1 sound card, the HD4850).

Im going to test is using 3dmark to see how it responds to it.

8ftmetalhaed
19-01-2011, 08:54 PM
How recent is the PSU? It's entirely possible that something in the PSU could have failed.

Alternatively, try reseating the card, clearing dust off the fan and move any cables from around it, and also try connecting it to a different rail if you have one available.