PDA

View Full Version : Heat damaged CPU

Timbo
17-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Can heating your CPU to the point the PC shuts off damage the CPU? The reason I ask is that I have crap cluttered on my desk and it was insulating the back of my laptop(blocking the hot air that blows out of the air vents on laptop).

I found that area after my laptop shutdown to be very hot, the desk and a large area around where the air vents are on my laptop. Now it seems the fan is always on, despite clearing the mess around it and when I touch the air outlet areas, its relatively warm hot despite just browsing the web.

0engus
17-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Can heating your CPU to the point the PC shuts off damage the CPU? The reason I ask is that I have crap cluttered on my desk and it was insulating the back of my laptop(blocking the hot air that blows out of the air vents on laptop).

I found that area after my laptop shutdown to be very hot, the desk and a large area around where the air vents are on my laptop. Now it seems the fan is always on, despite clearing the mess around it and when I touch the air outlet areas, its relatively warm hot despite just browsing the web.

and?
Do you want us to be sorry for your carelessness?
Ok, take care! :clap

Snorkbox
17-01-2011, 09:05 PM
The Laptop will shut down to avoid heat related damage to the CPU.

feersumendjinn
17-01-2011, 10:58 PM
and?
This is a help forum, not a smart-arse answer competition, if you don't want to help, please don't post here (you may be banned if you continue in this). :mad:

gary67
18-01-2011, 07:30 AM
This is a help forum, not a smart-arse answer competition, if you don't want to help, please don't post here (you may be banned if you continue in this). :mad:

X2, smartarse comments are for the chat forum

linw
18-01-2011, 07:39 AM
I think the cpu shutdown mechanism will be effective in saving the cpu. The fact that it is running afterwards supports this. If it was damaged, it likely wouldn't run.

As to why the fan is running more than before, I don't know. With the air vent restriction you describe you would think the fan would have been going full time, then, too.

An internal de-dusting would be a good idea (if you know how to get into it!). A google search may find how to do this with your model.

Agent_24
18-01-2011, 07:51 AM

Going by his other post I think 0engus is just a troll or a spammer trying to get up his post count.

Timbo: It won't hurt your CPU really as it will hopefully be hot only for a little amount of time but really things last much longer the cooler they run.

I don't know about CPUs but for electrolytic capacitors it's often said for every 10 degree drop in temperature the lifetime expectancy doubles.

As the others said, laptops are notorious for getting full of dust, this is something you should look into.

If that doesn't help look at the possibility of the thermal paste drying out and replace it.

johcar
18-01-2011, 08:54 AM
If the laptop fan is on all the time, it may be that it is clogged with dust and not running efficiently. I had an older Tosh with a similar issue a while back - took it in for a service and you can hardly hear when the fan comes on now, and it's nowhere near as hot...

Jen
18-01-2011, 03:57 PM
and?

He is history. He is also a known spammer, and one obviously lacking in social graces.

solomkama@yahoo.com

Oops, did I just post his email address ...?

;)

sahilcc7
18-01-2011, 07:37 PM
What model is the laptop?