PDA

View Full Version : Installing Win7 - clean install...?

Strommer
17-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Right now I am installing Win7. WinXP was previously on partition C of the hd. I am not upgrading from XP, but rather dumping it - so to get a clean Win7 install, but I don't know if I am doing it correctly. I did not format the hd - should I have done a format? The Win7 DVD did not give the word "format" but it did give the option of either "Upgrade" or "New installation".

The screen prompt said that the old OS files will be saved in a folder termed 'windows old' and that these files can be accessed later if necessary. Does this mean that Win7 automatically formats / wipes clean the remaining portion of C drive?

gary67
17-01-2011, 12:48 PM
yes it does as you can't upgrade from XP to 7 only from Vista to 7.

You will have folder created that contains all personal data from the old XP installation as it said

wainuitech
17-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Depending on if the DVD is a Upgrade or OEM DVD, if a OEM you will have two options - upgrade XP, which as you mentioned saves all the files/folders/Data to a "windows Old" folder.

If its a OEM, you will have the options - After clicking Install - you will see Upgrade or Custom(advanced) - if you click on Custom, the next window there is a link on the right ( Advanced options I think its called) click that, and you can select the current partition(s) and delete them - then it will install a fresh install of Windows 7.

IF its a upgrade DVD, you wont (without a bit of mucking about) be able to do a fresh install, as the product key wont be accepted, even though its may be legal.

Strommer
17-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys. It is an OEM DVD, not an upgrade DVD.
I did click on Custom (instead of upgrade) but cannot remember if I went to Advanced Options, but I did select partition C, then got the prompt that the old files would be saved.

It is up and running now. I opted not to have automatic internet activation so will have to do that soon... I was just waiting to know if I had to format the C partition and start the Win7 installation all over again.

Strommer
17-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I am transferring 14 Gb of old files to partition 'D'.
The transfer speed is around 14 - 18 MB/second. Is this hd data speed OK or should it be faster? It is a new 1T Seagate - cannot recall the specs but when I ordered it I opted for the fastest (cache? cannot recall).

pctek
17-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I did not format the hd - should I have done a format?
The screen prompt said that the old OS files will be saved in a folder termed 'windows old'

Yes. It gives you that option after. I think from memory, in Options - then Format.

But no big deal. You can remove the "old" folder after anyway.

mzee
17-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Windows 7 when left to install it's self usually make 2 primary partitions. The first one is only 100mb and contains the boot etc, the second is the balance of the 'C' drive.

When backing up Windows 7 with an Imaging program be sure to include both partitions. If you are using the built in W7 backup this will be done for you.

I have two machines with W7 Pro & one on W7 Ultimate, and have never had problems with them. Use the standard W7 Firewall and Microsoft Security, and Crap Cleaner.