PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help a student with a free or cheap laptop?

Billy T
17-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm asking on behalf of our daughter, but some serious assistance is needed: we are looking for a very cheap or preferably donated reliable laptop. Something with a reasonable sized screen, wifi built in and a CD burner.

Please take the time to read the explanation below, I've given you chapter and verse because this is a very important issue for a very dedicate young woman.

She is leaving for Melbourne in about 5 weeks to study for her Masters in Music Therapy. If you have not heard of this therapy before (and I hadn't either), in simple terms music therapy is often able to unlock the most disordered brains, and people who are otherwise mute or unable to speak coherently may be able to do so by singing (just as severe stutterers can often sing fluently) severely damaged brains can regain vital functionality through musical therapy, and in one remarkable case, a man who through a severe brain disease and was reduced to a memory span of just a few seconds was able to retain memories for up to twenty minutes, long enough to communicate with his wife and enjoy a semblance of normality. A deeply moving account of the extraordinary powers of Music Therapy can be found in Professor Oliver Sacks' book, Musicophilia. Music therapy is applicable to all ages from early childhood (autism and other disorders) through to adults late in life.

There are many injuries, illnesses and congenital disorders that can severely disable the human brain, and just as drugs cannot cure all instances of disease, music therapy may not be able to help every individual, but in many cases it can make the lives of sufferers more fulfilling by restoring some semblance of order to their brain functions and their social interaction with family and others.

We have assisted our daughter through University with free transport, board and lodging, medical insurance and incidental costs and she graduated Bachelor of Music. She worked her way through Uni principally as a caregiver to the seriously disabled, graduated debt free, and has saved as much as she could to finance her studies in Australia. She based her budget planning on professional advice that as a New Zealander she would be eligible for a student loan in Australia, and also following that advice, she applied for and was granted permanent residence in Australia to facilitate this entitlement. However, just a week ago, and after being accepted by all of the four Universities to which she applied, she discovered that she would not be eligible for a student loan for 12 months, which effectively meant she could not take up the study position offered.

We have done what we believe any parents would do in the circumstances: we cashed in the modest investment savings we had put away for our retirement and gave it all to her so that she could commence her studies in February as planned. Now that she is adequately funded for her first year she has accepted a position offered at the University of Melbourne which is the leading Pacific region institution for Music Therapy studies, and she plans to find suitable part-time work to fund the second and any subsequent years. She will be entitled to apply for scholarships at the end of her first year and will submit applications for any she is eligible to receive. She has also applied for and been granted accommodation on campus, so that will allow her to focus full time on her studies.

So, we are looking for a reliable second-hand laptop for her because now she has literally no spare money at all, and if anybody has one that they could donate it would be very much appreciated. All she needs is a decent sized screen and a reliable brand, and if the battery has any life left so much the better, but it will be run pretty much exclusively on mains anyway. Something in the right age group will probably be running XP which is what she is familiar with but later OS's would be OK too.

If you think you could help, please PM me, I don't want to enter into any further personal explanations in public, but any question asked via a PM will be answered, as will any serious general question asked on the board. On PM request I will provide by email her academic record and full CV so that you can judge her on her own merits. This study has been her sole objective since she was 14 years old, and everything she has done since then has been aimed at achieving this career goal, and the breadth and depth of her CV will surprise you.

Even though I've been watching her develop for the last eight years her dedication astounded me and I simply did not realise the incredible range of her activities. She is an extraordinarily dedicated and focused young woman.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Billy

Chilling_Silence
17-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Hope this all works out for you, keep us informed. Unfortunately I've only got Desktops, donated the last laptop I had about a month ago just prior to Christmas ...

gary67
17-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Wish I could help but like Chill only have desktops. I sincerely hope that someone will come forward and help out, best of luck

Barnabas
17-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I have an oldish Toshiba that might fit the bill..only problem with it is that one of the keys is a bit sticky (the r or the y I think) so you just have to be careful that it is pressed properly, esp when typing in your password. Let me know if your interested and Ill dig around in my cupboard of toys to see if I can find it.

The Error Guy
17-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I have a DV5 1009ax, 3GB RAM 256mb Radeon HD Gfx with win7 ultimate (or whatever open source you want pre installed)

It has a dead CPU so i'm not sure if i will be buying a new CPU or laptop. if its ends up a new lappy then you can get the DV5. CPU's can be obtained for >$41 on amazon (2nd hand)

qazwsxokmijn
17-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Man if I have finished my degree my laptop can be yours Billy. Hope you get your daughter a laptop soon, I'll see what I can do by asking a few people around.

WalOne
17-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Hope you get your daughter a laptop soon, I'll see what I can do by asking a few people around.

x2 (Nudge)

:thumbs:

george12
18-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Billy, I would be happy to donate your daughter a laptop.

It is fairly old and slow, but runs Windows XP and should be capable of everyday tasks. It has a CD writer, 14 inch screen, and WiFi.

I am unsure of the condition of the battery and will check it out tomorrow if possible. If you are interested, you could come and get it tomorrow (if I remember correctly you live in Wellington also?). If that's not convenient I could courier it.

Specs are:

- Celeron M 1.3GHz
- 768MB RAM
- 40GB Hard Drive

As far as I am aware the laptop should be reliable, but in the interests of her saving money I would recommend she keep a backup copy of all her data so that if/when it does fail she doesn't need to enlist the expensive services of a computer tech to recover her data. As you can imagine, any 4+ year old laptop is at the age where there is a reasonable chance of problems emerging.

Alternatively, I could provide a somewhat better and much newer laptop at say half market price (ie $180 or so).

Give me a call tomorrow on 04 831 1077 if interested. By the way, I am going to China on Thursday so you will need to decide by Wednesday at the latest if you want one before late February when I return.

I wish your daughter the best of luck with her studies and the practice of the music therapy. Cheers!

beetle
18-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I only have desktops....:(

and George i think billy lives up the island north of bombay hills...........

good luck billy, we need more of your daughters caliber in our world.........

beetle :)

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Yeah he does, but that's OK, it only cost me $14 to ship my Macbook from Aucks to Napier a week or two ago. Posted it 4:50PM on the Thursday, it arrived 8AM the next morning!! :D

kenj
18-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah he does, but that's OK, it only cost me $14 to ship my Macbook from Aucks to Napier a week or two ago. Posted it 4:50PM on the Thursday, it arrived 8AM the next morning!! :D

that is one way of getting rid of it....

Ken :D

george12
18-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Not to worry, can ship em anywhere in the country.

Billy T
18-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi All

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts, your sentiments are much appreciated by myself and Mrs T, and by our daughter.

We are not in a position to make any decisions yet, so I'll let things run for a while and see what turns up. I will say this though, our daughter is heartened and very moved by your responses and since she puts her all into helping the disabled and disadvantaged to enjoy an enhanced quality of life, it is heart-warming for her to see that others care too.

Thank you again,

Billy

beetle
18-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Billy, your daughter is one of so few people who are willing to work with and help people who are not termed Normal........... I work with 0 - 5 year olds and we are a centre who also welcomes special children into our centre. ( another term is disabled ) The sad thing is in todays world if you are different you are not accepted, i wish there were more people out there who didnt discriminate who they work with, or are friends with. we have a sad society. I actually really enjoy with these special people, they are humans just like us and have feelings too.

Good luck.
May your daughter do well in her future endeavors whichever direction she takes. :)

beetle

Greven
18-01-2011, 06:42 PM
My work just got rid of an old toshiba laptop that just suffered from the slowness of old age & a battery that only lasts a couple of minutes. If I had known about this last week I would have offered it to you.

Billy T
20-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Shamelessly bumping, we've had a couple of offers but reliability was dubious so although very grateful, we had to decline.

I've been thinking of taking to the road and visiting wholesale dealers in ex-corporate laptops, but I have no idea who they are. I bought a 19" IBM monitor from one out Albany way several years ago, but they stopped selling to the public then changed their name, so now I can't find them. Their building was totally anonymous too (smart thinking) so cruising the streets isn't going to help unless I trip over them!

Please keep your ears to the ground friends, time is getting short and departure date is only 3-4 weeks away.

Cheers

Billy

20-01-2011, 11:14 PM
What does she need from it? Is battery critical? Was referred here by qazwsxokmijn, so not sure if he has let you know or not but i can quite possibly pass you on a 2ghz sempron laptop, 1gb ram, 60gb hdd ect, only thing is the battery is terrible, its a bit hard to explain, but the PC will not start up if it isnt plugged in, it will just stay at the bios post screen, but if you plug it in it will start up fine, then you can unplug it and it will run on battery, but only for about half an hour.

TL;DR
Battery pretty much useless

Also the screen has a pink hue when it starts up, but goes away after a minute or 2, doesnt affect anything

Will confirm by sunday whether i can give it to you, pretty sure i will be able to, its dads, but he hasnt used it in 6 months and pretty much said i can do whatever with it

EDIT: by the way i dont have access to PMs yet, until i have another 8 posts, but ill give you a PM then, otherwise PM qazwsxokmijn

Billy T
21-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Will confirm by sunday whether i can give it to you, pretty sure i will be able to, its dads, but he hasnt used it in 6 months and pretty much said i can do whatever with it

EDIT: by the way i dont have access to PMs yet, until i have another 8 posts, but ill give you a PM then, otherwise PM qazwsxokmijn

Have responded by PM, but need something in better condition for reliability.

The offer is appreciated nontheless.

Cheers

Billy

21-01-2011, 10:42 AM
No worries, if you change your mind its all yours, confirmed

qazwsxokmijn
21-01-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/413074/?s=

For $160 I guess it ain't that bad? Not too much of a laptop geek, more desktop but this seems alright to me.

Billy T
21-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Hmm

Price OK (I would pay, she can't) but screen too small and there's no budget to buy an LCD in Oz, plus everything has to move from the student accommodation over Xmas so it would be a bit impractical.

I plan on trying some commercial approaches (sponsorship) but I'm not over hopeful. Still, I have to do something.

Onwards and upwards.......

Cheers

Billy

qazwsxokmijn
21-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Hmm

Price OK (I would pay, she can't) but screen too small and there's no budget to buy an LCD in Oz, plus everything has to move from the student accommodation over Xmas so it would be a bit impractical.

I plan on trying some commercial approaches (sponsorship) but I'm not over hopeful. Still, I have to do something.

Onwards and upwards.......

Cheers

Billy
Been advised it's actually worth much less than $160, at least outside trademe it is. Have left it to the seller if he would like to donate it instead.

icow
21-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Try this maybe? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/Toshiba/auction-348756234.htm

imo Error Guy's laptop is a better deal to replace the cpu as it is alot faster (and cheaper).

Cato
22-01-2011, 01:52 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Laptops/Toshiba/auction-348406783.htm

george12
22-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I can do a better Tecra M5 with no battery issues for $360 but I believe it is out of Billy's price range (he said so on the phone).

It seems the required quality of laptop is more than any one person is willing to give away.

Perhaps a better idea is to do a similar thing to what we did for Speedy. If we could subsidise a suitable laptop down to $160 or so I'm sure that would meet all of Billy's requirements. Is anyone interested in going that route?

I can provide the laptop. See here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=348612705) on TradeMe. However I can provide it for $360 rather than $470. All that is needed is a few contributions to knock the price down to Billy's range, or even free if people are sufficiently generous. If not enough people are interested I may reduce the price further still myself, but otherwise $110 off is my contribution.

Before anyone offers money, it would make sense for Billy to OK this. Let us know if the laptop linked to at around $200 or less cost to you would be suitable.

I have about 10 left and they will be gone in a week or two, but if this gets the OK I can put one aside.

Oh, and also, hello from Shanghai!

Winston001
23-01-2011, 05:13 AM
I'm heartened by this thread and the kindness offered to Billy. It isn't easy to ask for a favour with dignity.

Regrettably I can't help but you might be interested in knowing I have an HP NX9005 which is still running well after 7 years. My teenage children use it to browse the web.

The HP business laptops are well-made in my experience.

Best wishes for your daughter. :D

sarel
23-01-2011, 07:12 AM
I would certainly support a cause - similar to Speeds - for Billy.

sarel

DeSade
23-01-2011, 10:44 AM

sarel

Ditto

qazwsxokmijn
23-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I'd be happy to chip in.....I'm not earning much at all these days, but for the likes of Billy and Speedy I'd say every cent is worth it.

WalOne
23-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd be happy to chip in.....I'm not earning much at all these days, but for the likes of Billy and Speedy I'd say every cent is worth it.

Ditto :thumbs:

george12
23-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Somebody who I will not name unless they want me to has indicated they are happy to contribute enough to bring the price to Billy down to $160. Any further contributions that anyone is willing to make will reduce this even further. This means that either way, if Billy is happy with the laptop in question then it is a go.

If he is not, then never mind - he can simply find one he likes on TradeMe and we can contribute to the cost (myself included).

Chilling_Silence
24-01-2011, 09:05 AM
We gonna do another "Chuck in $10"?

I owe Billy for some help back in the day, I can chuck in a few bucks I'm sure ;)

Gobe1
24-01-2011, 11:26 AM

sarel

Ditto +1

Billy T
24-01-2011, 11:53 AM
At my daughter's request, this post contains her full CV. She is a very up-front person and knowing of your heart-warming response to her need for a laptop, she wished to lay out her CV in order that you might make your own judgement of her merits. She is not one to readily ask for favours.

I have removed all names of individuals apart from those already in the public domain as promnent educators or performers and some sections have been edited for privacy reasons. Similarly, the names of all other persons have been removed unless they were already in the public domain as performers or academics.

Cheers, and thank you again

Billy

Curriculum Vitae of V*** C*** ATCL BMus

D.O.B.: 18-4-1988

Address: *****
Auckland 0626
New Zealand

Ph.: 00649 ****

Email:

Occupations: Student, Community Support Worker, Music Teacher, and Musician

Page 1 of 9

Content of CV

1 Lifeline

2 Education

3 Academic Qualifications and Achievements

4 Studied subjects at University

5 Work Experience

6 Additional Information

7 Goals in Life

Lifeline

1988: Born Auckland New Zealand

1993-1998: Primary Education, Willow Park Primary School

1999-2000: Intermediate Education, Northcote Intermediate School

2001-2005: Secondary Education, Northcote College

2006-2009: Tertiary Education, The University of Auckland: Bachelor of Music
(2008: Awarded ATCL Performance Oboe from Trinity College London)

2009-2010: Private studies, volunteer work, and work experience, towards application for study of a Master of Music Therapy course

2011-2012: Proposed Tertiary Education, The University of Melbourne: Master of Music Therapy

EDUCATION

Academic Qualifications and Achievements:

Highest current awarded qualification:

Bachelor of Music: History and Literature major, Oboe Performance minor
The University of Auckland School of Music

Additional qualifications:

Trinity College of London: ATCL Oboe

Royal Schools of Music: Grades 6 Theory

Royal Schools of Music: Grade 5 Piano

Certificate of First Aid (2009)

CPI trained (2010)

Trained in "Understanding Epilepsy" (Epilepsy NZ) (2009)

Further Awards received:

North Shore Youth Orchestra Service Cup (2004)

Northcote College Mary Fitzwilliam Cup for Instrumental Music (2005)

Subjects Studied at Auckland University:

Bachelor of Music: History and Literature Major, Performance Oboe Minor: The University of Auckland; selected in accordance with application to Master of Music Therapy course:

Performance:

Performance Studies (Oboe; six papers; stages one, two, three)

Orchestral Studies (three papers; stages one, two, three)

Second Instrument study (Cor Anglais; two papers; stage one)

Theory:

Harmony and Analysis (four papers; stages one, two)

Aural Training (two papers; stage one)

Education papers:

Foundations of Music Education (one paper; stage one)

Education: How people learn (one paper; stage one)

Historical papers:

Turning Points in Western Music (one paper; stage one)

Performance Practice (one paper; stage two)

Study of the Renaissance Era (one paper; stage two)

Study of the Baroque Era (one paper; stage three)

Additional papers:

Anthropology: Musics of the World (one paper; stage one)

Acoustics (Physics based; one paper; stage one)

Psychology (two papers; stage one)

Commencing further Tertiary study in semester one, 2011, at The University of Melbourne: Master of Music Therapy.

Musical Training:

Current Tutors:

Piano and Aural Training: Catherine ***

Guitar and Voice: Patrick ***

Past Tutors (instrumental only):

Piano (and Theory): Private: Gail *** 2001-2003; Catherine *** 2003-2005

Oboe: Private: Vanessa *** 2001-2002; Margaret *** 2002-2004; Beverley *** 2005; University: Madeleine Sakofsky 2006; Alison Jepson 2007-2009.

Prior studies undertaken at Forte School of Music (Music Education Centre), and Glenfield Music Centre.

Additional Studies:

Baroque Oboe: Adam ***

Viol da Gamba: Polly ***

African Hand Drumming, Voice, and Dance (including traditional healing aspects): Jimi ****

Music Therapy volunteer work/observation:

Volunteer assistant in sessions to Jaqui Barrett (Rhythm Therapist; children, youth, and adults; varying disabilities including multiple-disabled, rehabilitation following neurological trauma, etc)

Volunteer assistant in sessions of CeleBRation Choir (Music Therapy Choir, lead by registered therapist Alison Talmage; adults with neurological trauma, and their family/caregivers), including leading sessions

Volunteer assistant in sessions, observer, and administration aid at Raukatauri Music Therapy Centre (children and youth, various disabilities)

Events attended for purpose of furthering knowledge in relation to Music Therapy and the disabled:

2005: Seminars held as part of The New Zealand Society For Music Therapy Incorporated Annual Conference.

2009/2010: Rhythm Interactive public workshops

2010: Know How Expo, facilitated by the Wilson Home Trust

2010: Public workshop presented by Whiriamo Black, introducing Maori music and instruments (in conjunction with the University of Auckland as part of Matariki celebrations)

2010: African Hand Drumming, Voice, and Dance classes (including traditional healing aspects), held by Jimi **** (two blocks of 7-week duration, each finishing with a public performance)

2010: Public workshops: Introduction to Music Therapy with Claire Molyneux, and Using Music with Families with Claire Molyneux and Alison Talmage, presented by Raukatauri Music Therapy Centre.

[Musical Training, continued]

Recent Orchestral experience (past five years only):

Auckland Symphony Orchestra Oboe 2003-5
Auckland Youth Symphony Orchestra Oboe 2005-7
Manukau City Symphony Orchestra Cor Anglais 2007
CentreStage Productions Oboe 2008
St Mathews Orchestra Oboe, Cor Anglais 2006 - present
Devonport Art Depot Chamber Orchestra Oboe 2006 - present
The University of Auckland Chamber Orchestra Oboe 2006 - 2009
Waitakere City Symphony Orchestra Oboe, Cor Anglais 2008 - present
Westpoint Auckland Theatre Company Oboe, Cor Anglais 2009
Handel Consort and Quire Oboe 2009 - present
Leys Institute Chamber Orchestra Oboe 2009
OPUS orchestra Oboe, Cor Anglais 2010 - present

"Play with the NZSO" First oboe 2006, 2007
Cor anglais 2008

National Youth Orchestra 50th Anniversary Tour , Second Oboe 2009
(Conductor Paul Daniel, Soloist John Chen)

Additional performances:

Solo: Oboe: Auckland Heritage Festival Concert 2009
(Performance of: Gillian Whitehead: Three Improvisations for Solo Oboe)

Vocal: - Second Soprano: SKYCITY Starlight Symphony 2009 SKYCITY Mass Choir
- Chorus: Westpoint Auckland Theatre Company 2009 production: Showboat
- CeleBRation (Music Therapy) Choir 2010 - present

Rehearsal Pianist: Westpoint Auckland Theatre Company 2009 production: Showboat

Performance of student compositions, and premiere of New Zealand works (including John Rimmer, David Hamilton) in conjunction with the University of Auckland School of Music

Numerous additional chamber groups

Freelance performance

Competitions: Oboe: North Shore Harmony Club Competition 2008
The National Woodwind Competition 2008

New Zealand Double Reed Society: Double Reed Day 2010, including performance in the Advanced Masterclass with NZSO oboist Peter Dyke

Participation (including performance in Masterclasses and Chamber groups) in the 2011 Ruapehu International Oboe Summer School, led by renowned guest artists Gordon Hunt (England), Diana Doherty (Australia), and Martin Lee (New Zealand)

WORK EXPERIENCE

Teaching Experience:

1999: Tutor (Private)
Youth aged 10
Piano skills and Music Theory

2004-5: Tutor (employee of the Ministry of Education)

Northcote College Homework Centre
Refugee and ESOL students of high school age (13-19)
All subjects

2005: Voluntary Mentor and Tutor
Northcote College
Gifted and Disadvantaged students of high school age (13-15)
All subjects

2005-Dec 2010: Teacher (employee of the Ministry of Education)
Birkdale North Music Centre; Glenfield Music Centre Young persons 6-13 years
Oboe, Recorder, Keyboard, Music Theory, and Musicianship

2007: Casual teacher
Prodigy Pre-school (Forresthill)
Children age 2-5 years

2007-present: Teacher (private)
Adults
Oboe

2008-2009: Teacher/Minder
Sunnynook Community Centre Holiday Programme
Children age 5-10 years

2009: Teacher (employee of the Ministry of Education)
Glenfield Music Centre
Youths 8-13 years
Keyboard, Theory, Aural, and General Music Skills

Work Experience with Elderly/Disabled:

2009-present: Community Support Worker employed by Spectrum Care

Residential home for persons with multiple disabilities, all ages

2009: Part-time Caregiver (private residence)
Elderly couple: dementia, terminally ill.

Also:

2004-7: Regular babysitter

2006-2007: Full-time/Part-time Telemarketer on the Telecom Mainly Mobile campaign at Telnet

2008, 2009: Update of Patient and Specialist records; data entry and processing; filing 'About Face' Physio

2009: Casual aid Sunnynook Community Centre

Volunteer work:

Regular volunteer for community service, including: Child Cancer, Stroke Foundation, Red Cross, World Vision, Kidz First, Plunket, IHC, and fundraising for school groups. 2009 and 2010 paying participant in HSBC Round the Bays.

2004: Student representative on North Shore Youth Orchestra committee (for which awarded North Shore Youth Orchestra Service Cup)

2010: Volunteer 'Helper' and pianist (weekly) for the Care and Craft Centres of New Zealand Trust (Milford centre)

2010 - present: Volunteer assistant in sessions of CeleBRation Choir (Music Therapy Choir, lead by registered therapist Alison Talmage; adults with neurological trauma, and their family/caregivers), including leading sessions

2010 - present: Volunteer assistant in sessions, observer, and administration aid at Raukatauri Music Therapy Centre (children and youth, various disabilities)

2010 - present: Volunteer assistant in sessions to Jaqui Barrett (Rhythm Therapist; children, youth, and adults; varying disabilities including multiple-disabled, rehabilitation following neurological trauma, etc)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Hobbies include bush walks, tramping, social soccer, baking and cooking, visual art (painting, drawing, embroidery), literature (writing and reading, fiction, biographies, and poetry), and the viewing of documentaries, foreign films, and black and white movies.

Regular house-sitter.

AIMS IN LIFE

Primary: To become a registered Music Therapist; establish a charitable trust providing alternative therapies on a sliding fee scale as a mobile unit for the elderly and disabled.

Additionally: To further research regarding multiple-disabled adults in the field of Music Therapy.

To use music therapy as a basis to create a resource for music education continuing through early childhood, primary, intermediate, and secondary schools, readily accessible for teachers both musically trained and untrained to apply.

To aid in the growth, development, recognition, and accessibility of Music Therapy in New Zealand.

Ends.......

Safari
24-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I am sure your daughter deservers any support we can give her Billy.
But I have to ask considering it is only a few hundred dollars required are there no other family members, relations etc who no doubt have an interest in her career who can give some help.

george12
24-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I have received a PM from Billy indicating it is a goer for the Tecra M5.

The account number is:

George Dewar
06 0577 0150708 00

The goal is $360 for the laptop which I suspect will be easily achieved as $200 has already been offered by one generous person. I think it would be a good idea to accept 'oversubscriptions' of $100 or if the offers for assistance exceed the $360, as this will allow Billy to also purchase a laptop bag ($20 or 30 from TradeMe I would guess) and any other minor related expenses as he sees fit.

Anyone can now make a payment to the bank account above. Please make sure you put your pressf1 name as reference. Please also either PM me or post here to indicate you have made your payment.

If you would rather commit money only if the goal has not been reached (ie, you do not want to contribute if the $360 has already been reached) you could post or PM the amount you are willing to contribute, and I will either confirm whether it is required, or suggest a scaled amount (without wanting it to get too complicated).

The pledged amount currently stands at $200. I will endeavour to post ASAP to indicate once the $360 has been reached, and then once $460 has been reached. If a large amount of immediate donations are received before I have a chance to indicate the goal has been reached, then it is Billy's daughter's lucky day and I don't intend to refund people the excess unless they specifically ask when donating.

Thank you to you all on behalf of Billy for your generosity. If anything I have mentioned here needs clarification, or anyone disagrees with anything, please let me know.

DeSade
24-01-2011, 02:33 PM
$50 transferred.

johcar
24-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Done

WalOne
24-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Done

Ditto, from me :thumbs:

george12
24-01-2011, 03:23 PM
You guys are an amazing bunch. Walone (and anyone else who contributes), can you either say or PM the amount so I can track the level of contributions in real time?

Cheers.

SolMiester
24-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Holy, their are some very very generous people on this forum, kinda makes you proud to be a kiwi!

DeSade
24-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Holy, their are some very very generous people on this forum, kinda makes you proud to be a kiwi!

Or at least a member of the PressF1 community :D

somebody
24-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Billy: If it would be of any use to your daughter, I have an Asus RT-N10 wireless router I have had sitting around for a while which am willing to donate. PM me your address and I'll send it your way.

george12
24-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Confirmed payments so far total $265.

plod
24-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Yes there are, as much as I would like to contribute I cannot due to my own family commitments. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Good on everyone that has. I hope Billy's daughter does well in her endeavors

Billy T
24-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I am sure your daughter deservers any support we can give her Billy.
But I have to ask considering it is only a few hundred dollars required are there no other family members, relations etc who no doubt have an interest in her career who can give some help.

That is a fair question.

We are a very small family, including the extended variety, and the rest of my immediate family are retired and on pensions (I'm not yet, thank heavens) and there is nobody else to approach, no rich Uncles or fairy Godfathers. She is a self-starter and has made applications to a number of charitable trusts etc several months back but didn't even get the courtesy of a reply from any of them. So, as I've said before, she has worked her butt off on 24 hour shifts because they pay more. She has lived on the smell of an oily rag, has had no social life to speak of, and we've provided every dollar we can.

There are bigger issues than a laptop, but she must have that before she goes or she won't be able to do her studies. As I understand it Masters requires several thesis and that would be impossible without a computer.

We've run out of things of value to sell on Trade Me, and rats & mice stuff won't get us there in time, so that is why we are here today. With time rapidly running out I finally decided to swallow my pride and see if the team could help.

When all is done and dusted she'll be here on line to say her own thanks

Thanks to all

Billy

beetle
24-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Im not sure i can help this time....... :( no disrepect or favouratism but things are going to custard at the moment, and although i still have a job every $ counts in my house being a single parent.
Is there anything else we can help with?

I may have a spare laptop bag hiding in the shed i could send you? i dont own any lappies that go........

hope it all comes together for you.

good luck,

george12
24-01-2011, 11:01 PM
The laptop bag would certainly be appreciated by Billy if it is spare.

Confirmed payments are now $315.

qazwsxokmijn
24-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Come Wednesday, when I get paid, I'll be chucking in $10 or so if it's still needed. Right now I'm a bit on the low side......

beetle
24-01-2011, 11:11 PM
found the bag........... off to bed, work tomorow,

i will check back whats the details tomorow :)

WalOne
25-01-2011, 09:24 AM
(Nudge)

:D

Gobe1
25-01-2011, 09:34 AM
The account number is:

George Dewar
06 0577 0150708 00

DONE

Marnie
25-01-2011, 11:20 AM
How far from the hoped for target?

xxll
25-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I have received a PM from Billy indicating it is a goer for the Tecra M5.

The account number is:

George Dewar
06 0577 0150708 00

Done. (10:30am today)

Bozo
25-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Payment made.

How are we looking?

Barnabas
25-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I stuck a little something something in to help the cause.

B

Marnie
25-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I wasn't sure how much was still needed. Have put in $30, which will go through around 10pm.
Marnie

beetle
25-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Hello????????

sorry functioning on 3 hours sleep here, so not sure where im at, but i no i have a bag sitting here........ and need to know where and when to send.......

if ya dont hear from me again tonight....ive probably gone to sleep in the corner while waiting...:p

george12
25-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Now up to $385 plus one from Barnabus, amount not confirmed. Will now dispatch laptop to Billy immediately as the cost of the laptop has been reached.

Anyone is of course still welcome to contribute, if they wish, over the next few days - however the laptop is now paid for.

Billy, please let us know your address, or PM it to both me and beetle!

Barnabas
26-01-2011, 09:16 AM
just a tenner from me so $395 was the total. Nice work F1 :banana

george12
29-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Just to confirm, I'm now going to pay the excess cash to Billy's account, and the laptop has been sent out. So, no more payments.

Thanks very much guys. You made this very easy. Fantastic result. Together we have managed to provide Billy's daughter with a laptop, laptop bag and $35 cash.

Renmoo
29-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Perhaps it is a good idea to use the spare cash to buy a warranty cover for the laptop?

GameJunkie
29-01-2011, 10:21 PM
its great to see the comradery here on PF1:thumbs:

sarel
31-01-2011, 07:36 AM
I've been away the last week or so (not on PC at all) - do we need any more?

sarel

george12
31-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi sarel, see a few posts up. We are all done :)

Renmoo I think that may be impractical as the laptop will be in Australia. I would happily fix it for free if anything happened, but the freight to NZ and back would cost more I suspect than having a local tech look at it.

DeSade
31-01-2011, 09:47 PM
She is based in Melbourne I see. Our head office is there and I know many people in it.

Repairs will not be a issue should they be needed.

rob_on_guitar
02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
That was really cool. Brightened my morning up reading everyones help, I was a bit slow to jump on board but looks like I didnt need to.
Cool!

Bozo
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
That was really cool. Brightened my morning up reading everyones help <snip>
Cool!

Agreed, it helps restore ones faith in humanity :D

Cicero
02-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Agreed, it helps restore ones faith in humanity :D

I think on the whole, most charities are well subscribed in NZ.

beetle
07-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Are we at the counting down days stage yet?

And that all things that needed sorting have got sorted........