PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy XP

icow
16-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I was looking at buying a copy of xp 'cause xp compat isn't supported by win 7 home premium (only pro). Where should I look to buy and how much should I be paying?

pctek
16-01-2011, 05:08 PM
You can't. It's gone.
You might find one 2nd hand now. WHy bother? Win7 is fine.

decibel
16-01-2011, 05:24 PM
?
Win 7 home has XP compatibilty settings here .

Snorkbox
16-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Probably looking for XP Mode rather than Compat I guess.

gary67
16-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Try this (http://www.vmlite.com/index.php/products/vmlite-xp-mode)

wainuitech
16-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Try this (http://www.vmlite.com/index.php/products/vmlite-xp-mode) X2 :thumbs: VMLite runs the Windows XP mode which you download from Microsoft, quite happy on home premium. The latest versions have vastly improved the USB support.

icow
16-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Probably looking for XP Mode rather than Compat I guess.

Sorry thats what I ment I was going to follow this (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/) guide to run but i realised that i would need a copy of xp first.

Snorkbox
16-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a full version of WinXP Pro 64 bit which has not been on my PC since the RC version of Win 7 came out and therefore should activate with no trouble.

PM me if you want it icow.

icow
16-01-2011, 09:39 PM
pm sent

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Hopefully you've got a 64 bit mobo and CPU. Otherwise, it wont install. And some VM's wont work with 64 bit ISO's (if you create an ISO from it)

Snorkbox
16-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I though icow was going to run it on PC#2 as he would not have win7 on PC#1 with 16Meg RAM.

wainuitech
16-01-2011, 10:37 PM
If you load in the VMLite, that gary posted in Number 5, then download the XPmode from Microsoft, which is XP PRO - all completely free - and load that into VMLite, you will have a XP Virual OS. In fact VMLite actually has links to XP mode.

No need to worry about people sending CD's, activating etc.

Poppa John
17-01-2011, 09:29 AM
If you load in the VMLite, that gary posted in Number 5, then download the XPmode from Microsoft, which is XP PRO - all completely free - and load that into VMLite, you will have a XP Virual OS. In fact VMLite actually has links to XP mode.

Does that apply to a 64 bit version as well? PJ

wainuitech
17-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Does that apply to a 64 bit version as well? PJ Yep, VMlite works fine on Windows 64 & home pre.

Couple of Pictures :64 Bit and VMlite (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/CaptureVMlite.PNG) along with PCworld on VMlite (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture21295213432.png) The screen shots dont have full screen, as I wanted to show W7 in the background. if you put it to full screen its just like working on XP.

dugimodo
17-01-2011, 10:34 AM
also bear in mind the 64 bit XP pro mentioned earlier is quite a different beast to normal XP. It had compatability issues and is a bit of an orphan, I believe it's based off one of the server OS's and is therefore very different to XP 32 bit. It does look and feel much the same though, I have a copy somewhere myself.

Snorkbox
17-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I think I will keep my WinXP Pro 64 as I intend to upgrade another PC I have here so I will put it on that.

Apparently icow has another method of achieving the desired result anyway.

PENTIUM
17-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, I have XP 64bit in my stable of fix it stuff. It is a bit of an orphan as drivers are sometimes unavailable for peripheral devices.

icow
17-01-2011, 08:39 PM

is the xp mode just an iso that doesn't require a cd key or something?

Speedy Gonzales
17-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Yup, XP mode is a VM / VHD. If VMlite is meant to work with XP Pro x64, buggered if I can get to boot from the iso. If its meant to. I created an ISO from the cd I've got.

icow
17-01-2011, 08:59 PM
It tries to work out what version of windows in running and won't let me download. Which brings me back to my original question. Where can I get xp?

Snorkbox
17-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Which means that you will have to wait for a definitive answer I guess. What you may need is a valid product key which can be activated without cracks etc.

As for people saying that WinXP Pro 64 is an orphan I should remind them that I was running it for about 4-5 years on the PC I'm now running Win7 SP1 on.

wainuitech
17-01-2011, 09:40 PM
It tries to work out what version of windows in running and won't let me download. Which brings me back to my original question. Where can I get xp? You download VMlite - you also download XP mode - when you get to The DOWNLOAD page (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx), simply select Professional (either 32 or 64 depending on your OS) As shown here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/XP_Mode1295253438.jpg) - select English ( assuming you want English) then you get the XP mode (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/XP_Mode2.jpg). Doesn't matter if you have home pre - you have said you have Pro.

Simply install VM Lite - once installed it will ask to be directed to where ever you downloaded XP mode to, you select it - and away it goes - follow on screen instructions. no Activation, not product keys.

If you think its hard its NOT - if you want I can make a video to show how easy it is and upload it to youtube.

gary67
18-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Oooooo Wainui's going to make another video cool, I already have the first 2 from the collection :thumbs:

icow
20-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I get this on startup.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Does it support AMD-V? And is it enabled in the BIOS?

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Install this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977206). See if it fixes that error

20-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Still after XP? No idea if it would be suitable, but i have a bunch of side panels in the garage with COAs on them, however they are HP ones, as opposed to retail/oem

PM me if interested, i can PM you a key, and can probably bust out the dremel and cut a square around the COA and send you an envolope with it? Free cut out piece of side panel included. Just pm me

EDIT: wait dont pm me... as it turns out i still need another 8 posts until i can PM, just post here and ill give you my email address or something, or wait until i have 8 posts

icow
21-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Does it support AMD-V? And is it enabled in the BIOS?

Dunno can't get to bios.

@ 1156 what version home/pro? and is it 64 or 32 bit.

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Did you install that update which may fix that error? If the update doesnt work, you'll have to find out how to get in the BIOS. To see if the option is there

21-01-2011, 10:51 AM
@ 1156 what version home/pro? and is it 64 or 32 bit.

Got about 3 that are XP Home HP, and another 4 that are XP Pro 1-2 CPU HP

Assumed to be 32 bit, as they dont say on them, and they came off pentium 4 pcs

Although all of them have COAs, some of them are ripped, dirty ect, but should be able to get the key off them, and cut around them and send what i can

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 10:58 AM
The stickers will be assigned to the previous PC, which are OEM - and of course you do know its illegal to do that - put them on another PC.

The stickers can be easily removed, no need to cut metal. Have had to do that several times when changing HP cases to standard cases - cheaper to buy a basic case & PSU than get a dedicated HP PSU.

VMlite doesn't require a CPU that has vitalization capabilities.

When is the error message coming up ?

icow
21-01-2011, 03:07 PM
The stickers will be assigned to the previous PC, which are OEM - and of course you do know its illegal to do that - put them on another PC.

The stickers can be easily removed, no need to cut metal. Have had to do that several times when changing HP cases to standard cases - cheaper to buy a basic case & PSU than get a dedicated HP PSU.

VMlite doesn't require a CPU that has vitalization capabilities.

When is the error message coming up ?

Error message comes up after about .2 of a second after I click start. The only thing I see on the screen until then is black.

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Do you mean the start, bottom left ?

VMlite doesn't (or isn't meant to) run on any start up. Theres normally a Icon on the desktop you would click. Did it ask you to install XP Mode or has it not got that far ?

21-01-2011, 05:15 PM

Technically, yes, its not like im trying to sell them or anything, just help out the OP

Yea i have removed them before, but at the state of these ones i would rather not, as some of them are already ripped ect, so even if i heat it it is still possible it wouldn't work too well, therefore it would probably be best to cut them.

Haha yea that is when your lucky enough to have the motherboard in a standard form factor, as opposed to a special unique one :waughh:

icow
21-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Do you mean the start, bottom left ?

VMlite doesn't (or isn't meant to) run on any start up. Theres normally a Icon on the desktop you would click. Did it ask you to install XP Mode or has it not got that far ?

Sorry I meant start up. When you click the xp icon on the desktop and when you click start on the workstation menu. I ran the xp exe and ran vmlite. it auto found the vhd and copied and setup for first use.

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I ran the xp exe and ran vmlite. it auto found the vhd and copied and setup for first use. Am I reading this wrong -- you ran the XPmode then vmlite ?

If so thats wrong -- you install vmlite, it asks for the XPmode file and it installs xpmode within VMlite.

I'll make a quick Video soon as to how to install it, please advise if you did it this way.

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Or get teamviewer, and I'll do it for you

icow
21-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Am I reading this wrong -- you ran the XPmode then vmlite ?

If so thats wrong -- you install vmlite, it asks for the XPmode file and it installs xpmode within VMlite.

I'll make a quick Video soon as to how to install it, please advise if you did it this way.

PMed.
@ Speedy: if wainuitech (or anyone else) can't work out what's wrong I'll try to setup again. If that fails I'll try team viewer.

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2011, 07:53 PM
k

icow
21-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Ok, tried to reinstall the virtual pc. It can up with the same error during "setting up windows xp for fisrt time use".

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Got your PM thanks :) -- I have already just uploaded it toyoutube - so may as well set the link others may want to see.

There is a folder on the desktop, contains VMlite + XP mode -- once installed and runs for the first time it can take several minutes ( thats when I stopped recording)

Just before ending I drag the VMlite icon into view - thats the one you use to open VMlite after its installed and you want to use it in the future.

The Youtube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq9rE_pSiLI) runs about 4 min The quality is no to sh1t hot, but it was done in a rush.

icow
21-01-2011, 08:24 PM
thats exactly what I tried the second time. I get the error during the setting up for first time. (right at the start).

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 08:42 PM
"IF" your CPU is AMD, that may have something to do with it ??

That was setup on a PC that has a P4 with W7 Home Pre x64 , and is not capable of virtualization.

Quoted from their web site:
VMLite XP Mode offers similar functions as Microsoft Windows XP Mode, but doesn't require hardware virtualization

icow
21-01-2011, 10:12 PM
"IF" your CPU is AMD, that may have something to do with it ??

That was setup on a PC that has a P4 with W7 Home Pre x64 , and is not capable of virtualization.

Quoted from their web site:

Would it be anything in the pc's actual bios?

wainuitech
21-01-2011, 10:31 PM
"Shouldn't Be" :nerd:, unlike the XPmode on W7 pro and above, VMlite doesn't require vitalization.

What is your mother board ( you may have mentioned it, - have not looked back through the 5 pages of posts)

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2011, 10:04 AM
If you install KB977206, XP mode will run, if the CPU doesnt support virtualisation as well

icow
22-01-2011, 10:27 AM
"Shouldn't Be" :nerd:, unlike the XPmode on W7 pro and above, VMlite doesn't require vitalization.

What is your mother board ( you may have mentioned it, - have not looked back through the 5 pages of posts)

Asus M4N68T-M

@ speedy will do