PDA

View Full Version : Cameras in Mobile Phones

Clod
15-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Just curious about the quality of pictures they take. I like the idea of carrying a camera round for the odd snap and with the mobile phone you get 2 apps in a nice small package. My present phone only has a 1.3 megapixel camera which understandably is crap. I'd like to update soon seeing as their dropping the old network in a year or so and I see phones with 5 and 8 megapixel cameras presumably these are a great improvement but are they close to a normal digital camera in picture quality?

plod
15-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Some are very close to a compact camera, some are just plain terrible. Dont be fooled by the higher 8megapixel cameras over the 5megapixel. More is not always better. There are plenty of reviews around.

tweak'e
15-01-2011, 10:25 AM
waste of $$$ going over 3mp. simple problem is the lens. cell phones lens are to small to make good use of them.

Cato
15-01-2011, 10:55 AM
What tweak'e said.

Also, digital zoom is crap, get a real camera with optical zoom and a decent flash.

coldfront
15-01-2011, 12:30 PM
There is a lot more to taking a digital photo than mega pixel size!

As has been pointed out the quality is limited to the lens and also the response time of the shutter. For example I have a cheap R106 but the quality and shutter speed on a later cheaper R100 blows it away. Basically on the R106 its a full second before the shutter clicks meaning if your photographing a moving object it will either blur or be out of shot.

I could expand further on this, but it is complicated enough as it is.

Bobh
15-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I prefer to use a real camera. It is handy to have a camera on your cellphone - it is better than not having a camera. I use the cellphone camera only if that is all I have available. Results are adequate only.

coldfront
15-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I got an idea to help with three differant camera phones I have access to comparing them with the two digital cameras I have. SEe what I can set up later to show the results! would that help?

xyz823
15-01-2011, 06:36 PM
iPhone 4 camera here.

Enough said :D

KenESmith
15-01-2011, 07:57 PM
If I want to take a photo I will use a proper camera, not one that is incorporated as an accessory to a communication device.

In todays world, from what I can gather it is virtually impossible to buy a mobile phone that does not incorporate a low grade digital camera.

This raise another issue, security, there are plenty of work places where cameras are forbidden, to start with secure areas in most defence establishments.
When I was in the motor industry, cameras were strictly forbidden within the assembly plant. No car company wanted unauthorised photos of new models released without authorisation.

Metla
15-01-2011, 08:15 PM
This raise another issue, security, there are plenty of work places where cameras are forbidden, to start with secure areas in most defence establishments.
When I was in the motor industry, cameras were strictly forbidden within the assembly plant. No car company wanted unauthorised photos of new models released without authorisation.

Easily solved...ban phones in the work place. Easily done and anyone who pulls one out sticks out like a sore thumb.

And any twat playing pretend spy by taking photos of "defense establishments" with his phone deserves the beat down he is about to receive.

Strommer
16-01-2011, 06:42 AM
The camera in my Sony Ericsson k800i has 3 Mp and it takes very good photos, so good that I seldom bother to take my digcam. I have had 5x7 and 8x10 photos printed with good results. Sure, there is no optical zoom, low light levels show noise, and there is a delay between pressing the shutter and the pic being snapped.

It all comes down to this: What will the pics be used for? For my purpose - and I think most people - it will be to email or post photos online, or to show on the pc, or once in awhile to make a standard size print. A good quality 3 Mp camera phone will be just fine for these purposes.

If you want razor sharp photos that can be shown on a big screen tv, for professional looking enlargements shot under a wide range of light conditions, then a digital camera should be used.

There are sites that compare the photo quality of mobile phone cameras, such as:
http://reviews.cnet.com/camera-phone-comparison-gallery/
and
http://www.gsmarena.com

Roscoe
16-01-2011, 12:00 PM
What tweak'e said.

Also, digital zoom is crap, get a real camera with optical zoom and a decent flash.

I agree. I have a camera that has both digital and optical zoom and the digital zoom is useless. The quality could never approach optical. All is does is magnify the pixels which distort the picture. Never use it.