PDA

View Full Version : microSD accessible through phone, inaccesible through card reader

pksaha
14-01-2011, 09:20 AM
I have got an 8 GB microSD card which I obtained along with my Nokia E72. It works fine with the phone and my laptop (Windows 7) recognises it when I connect the phone through USB data cable. However, when I take it out from the phone slot and put it in the SD adapter and insert in my laptop's SD card reader, the laptop does not recognize it. It is as if there is nothing there. The SD adapter works fine with another 16 GB microSD card that I have. The "good" card causes the laptop to pop up the windows asking me how I want to look at the card. Can anybody advise me why the 8 GB card does not work without Nokia phone?

Halwende
14-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Sounds like the phone has formatted it in a special way that makes it invisible / in-accessable on purpose, kind of like how the Xbox 360 does to it's partition on a USB flash drive. Or the data is written to the SD card in a way that a PC can't see, not sure

Does it show a card exists, but has no data? If so you should be able to format it on your PC, but then obviously you'll lose all your phone stuff you have on there!

If you want to pull stuff off it you should be able to do so via the USB link when it's in the phone, just use Windows to access it like an external drive (over any proprietary software) - I pull photos off my phone's microSD card this way without hassle

Agent_24
14-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah it sounds like Nokia is using some other format that the PC can't natively read.