PDA

View Full Version : I Killed NOD32

pctek
14-01-2011, 08:58 AM
I was messing about yesterday with Services, turned some things off.
And NOD wouldn't start, it loaded but wouldn't start. No idea which one of the services it was, in the end I thought I'd reinstall it as turning the services back on didn't help.
It wouldn't uninstall either.
A right mess. Haven't had such a screwup since trying to remove Nortons off PCs.
Re-imaged back to pre-messing about, reinstalled NOD, all happy now but geez.
Might do it one at a time now and see which service it wants.

wratterus
14-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Crikey :eek: Sounds very nortonish!

Did you try running the removal tool then reinstalling? I've found the NOD removal tool to be very effective.

Halwende
14-01-2011, 09:09 AM
ekrn.exe should be a running process when it's active, I think the service is listed as ESET Service rather than being called NOD, but it runs "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe"

inphinity
14-01-2011, 09:10 AM
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289

pctek
14-01-2011, 11:53 AM
You think I didn't manually do it? I went right though the registry, by hand, even.
Whatever, this is why we have images. Yay for the image restore.
Now to play with the services again.:D

pctek
14-01-2011, 11:54 AM
ekrn.exe"
I know - it was the POP and HTTP parts that were having a hissy. Turned off one too many services....ooops.

SolMiester
14-01-2011, 02:04 PM
You think I didn't manually do it? I went right though the registry, by hand, even.
Whatever, this is why we have images. Yay for the image restore.
Now to play with the services again.:D

Err, this is where VM's come in handy....I certainly wouldnt be playing with my main PC like that, playing with the registry?...whatever!

pctek
14-01-2011, 03:01 PM
..I certainly wouldnt be playing with my main PC like that, playing with the registry?...whatever!

Who else would I let play with my PC like that? :cool:
It's the whole point.

SP8's
14-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Three cheers for pctek ... :clap :clap :clap .... killing the NOD .... hard game to beat but she's a winner .... must be worth like 10,000 points or something eh .... :rolleyes:

Erayd
15-01-2011, 11:15 AM
How could you choose avoiding a little pain over understanding a magic lightning machine?

pctek
15-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Exactly. If someone hadn't poked at the xx we'd never have invented/discovered/learnt anything.

The Error Guy
16-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Hmm, playing with services and ripping the guts out of the registry. Sounds like a day at home when the internet's down and its raining outside, minus the restore point or backups. I'm much to stupid to bother with those :D

SolMiester
17-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Exactly. If someone hadn't poked at the xx we'd never have invented/discovered/learnt anything.

I point PCT, is you dont experiment on your main pc, thats what VM's are for...

pctek
17-01-2011, 09:31 AM
I point PCT, is you dont experiment on your main pc, thats what VM's are for...

Main PC = Only PC.

No that's what disk images are for.