PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored

Nomad
13-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Is it that boring here, I even googled if Wellington is boring and organisation's have pinned Wellington just that :p

I do a fair amount of travel.

Is Wellington or NZ really that boring is that in aligned with many British related places. Wellington is a arts place, more a domestic tourism market than a place for international tourists. It has a good cafe lifestyle, food and wine but pick any day of the week if you are not eating or drinking what is there to do here :confused:

Go to any of the suburbs and it's dead apart from petrol stations and fast food restaurants which some are now opening 24hrs. Go into the CBD and Lambton Quay is desserted and the only place open is Courtenay Place for the same drinks and food and dance.

Maybe that food here cost a fair bit and they don't eat out that much while in the "EAST" overseas eating out becomes a daily event. Perhaps booze is one of the things to do since it's so boring here. Well there are others, play board games, computer games and jigsaw puzzles and card games, watch tv and call it a night :lol:

In terms of photography I still shoot transparency film, I process them abroad which the postal price is quoted for 6 rolls, I might just send away 5 rolls (with my Christmas trip) because there is just not much to photograph here to have any sense of quality. Given that film is not free, I cannot shoot it like digital and store the crap shots on my hard drive and not to be seen again.

Jayess64
13-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Go into the CBD and Lambton Quay is desserted and the only place open is Courtenay Place for the same drinks and food and dance.

In New Zealand we would say "...Lambton Quay is puddinged..."

rob_on_guitar
13-01-2011, 09:59 PM
The only thing to do in nz besides drinking in the middle of the night is bumpin' uglies or burglary it seems...

8ftmetalhaed
13-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Sounds about right. I hate this country's lack of anything interesting.

Snorkbox
13-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Go for a walk down Vivian Street if you are bored.

goodiesguy
13-01-2011, 10:52 PM
This country is soo boring and has bad TV!!! damn New Zealand TV!!!

I'm determined to move to the Britain when i'm old enough and have the money. I listen to British Music, i watch British TV etc.... I even like impersonating British people with all their different accents.

Snorkbox
13-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Perhaps you can get a job as an impersonater so you can save the money to go then.

ubergeek85
13-01-2011, 11:41 PM
This country is soo boring and has bad TV!!! damn New Zealand TV!!!

I'm determined to move to the Britain when i'm old enough and have the money. I listen to British Music, i watch British TV etc.... I even like impersonating British people with all their different accents.

Or you could just subscribe to SKY for UKTV and Comedy Central...

Cato
13-01-2011, 11:58 PM

You missed out herpes.

goodiesguy
14-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Or you could just subscribe to SKY for UKTV and Comedy Central...

We do have Sky. and Those are actually the only 2 Channels i watch.

I tape Whose Line Is It Anyway UK off Comedy Central.

And i've been taping uk cop drama "The Bill" which is showing old episodes from 1996 before it went down the toilet.

The only other channel i watch is Channel 5 "The Box" (formerly Sky1) due to them showing re runs of The Drew Carey Show.

Paul.Cov
14-01-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm thankful for the fact that I wasted many, many hours over the last 20 years recording the few good comedies that did make it onto NZ TV - otherwise I'd only have the TV on for 15mins of news.

Yep, TV is currently such rubbish. Bleedin' "reality" shows, top model, top chef, freaking make-up infomercials, mindless game-shows, biggest loser, XYZ's Got Tallent, endless repeats.

Gotta wonder why they haven't started playing us Lotto draws from other countries (sarcasm) cos it's about the only programming more worthless than what they're serving up every week.

The only good programme this whole week was the Dr Seuss cartoon, which was brilliantly done.

gary67
14-01-2011, 06:59 AM
There's just so much to do here, camping, tramping, climbing, caving, cycling, kayaking, swimming, hunting, fishing. you want photography there is some stunning scenery here I wonder how anyone could ever get bored.

Goodies guy good luck with going to the UK its way overcrowded, there are no jobs recession is very bad over there and so full of eastern European immigrants more than the population of NZ

Metla
14-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Some of you people need to open your eyes and live a little, buy a motorcycle or something.

Nomad
14-01-2011, 09:08 AM
There's just so much to do here, camping, tramping, climbing, caving, cycling, kayaking, swimming, hunting, fishing. you want photography there is some stunning scenery here I wonder how anyone could ever get bored.

Goodies guy good luck with going to the UK its way overcrowded, there are no jobs recession is very bad over there and so full of eastern European immigrants more than the population of NZ

Yeah the S Island is reknown for that (we spent Christmas in the South) but if one is based in a city, what is there to do and in addition if one is in the North Island it means to cross over the strait or needs to locate a cheap airfare.

Every day every week is boring in the city if one does not eat, drink or dance. There's nothing that is opened in the cities.

If one goes overseas, there are traffic crowds by pedestrians outside, not just in a cafe/restaurant or pub. In NZ, all the malls are closed apart from maybe the movie theatres and the supermarket.

Metla
14-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Jesus christ, we live in paradise and people are complaining that the streets aren't crowded?

John H
14-01-2011, 09:24 AM
You know, I am 65, and I cannot recall a single time in my life when I was bored. Boredom isn't the result of limitations in the place where you live - it is a product of your own inability to make the best of the place and your circumstances.

I lived in Wgtn from 1966 to 1981 and have had heaps of holidays there before and since. Boredom in Wellington? Never. There is so much to do, so little time to do it in. My kids who were brought up in Wgtn would say the same thing.

Snorkel or scuba diving off the south coast in places like Breaker Bay and east of Island Bay, Makara, and Kapiti Island - we were never without crays in the freezer. Walking along the Coast, over the hills behind Wadestown through to Karori. Tramping into places like Butterfly Creek (for beginners), Tararua Ranges, Orongorongo Valley. Te Papa visits. People watching in the city. Magnificent library. Great pubs and cafes. Get out on the harbour on charter boats or ferries. I bought a Sunburst and we sailed in Evans Bay, and out from Worser Bay to the harbour heads. Cycling - some of the best mountain biking in the country is in Wgtn (the tracks set up by the Kennett brothers at Makara for example). Wgtn is a great base for getting into the Wairarapa and over to the Sounds. Great music scene. What else do you want?

Terry Porritt
14-01-2011, 09:27 AM
"If one goes overseas, there are traffic crowds by pedestrians outside, not just in a cafe/restaurant or pub". Ugh many times over................... OMG... how dreadful to like that, you are much better off here :)

You can see the Tararuas from Wellington, have you never had the urge to go and explore ?

The Orongorongos are only a stones throw away.

Try walking around the town belt.

The Wellington region is abounding with regional parks and reserves.

However if you are a couch potato, then I agree NZ TV is the pits. I've only watched the so called news for over 10 years, now.

John H
14-01-2011, 09:31 AM
(snip)In NZ, all the malls are closed apart from maybe the movie theatres and the supermarket.

My wife was an ESOL teacher for years, and she found that her young Asian students often complained of boredom. They were city oriented kids, without any of the outdoors oriented skills and interests that are such a part of many other Kiwis.

They wanted to go to shopping malls! It seemed to be the limit of their interests. I never figured out why they wanted to do that - for me a mall is a place to avoid as much as possible. When it is inevitable that you have to go there, it is get in/get out as soon as possible, even if it involves walking over people that get in your way. What is the attraction of malls for goodness sake - someone please enlighten an old fart like me?

Marnie
14-01-2011, 09:47 AM
To quote someone much older and wiser than me:

"Only lazy people get bored"

Of course teens love to travel the world, hang around the malls and so on. No one would deny them that. Overseas the teens and teeny weenies still flock to the malls. So many don't seem to have any other interest. Maybe they will grow up and work in one!!

Yesterday I had to spend 2 hours in a mall waiting for someone, I was glad to leave.

I agree about the TVNZ negatives, thank goodness we have Sky. I do enjoy the British shows, but I also like the really good cooking programmes.

Once we went to Florence, it was a public holiday and there was hardly anything open.

rob_on_guitar
14-01-2011, 09:59 AM
He was talking about in the middle of the night, doesn't drink etc I dont think going off camping or snorkeling is a wise thing to do at 1am...

rob_on_guitar
14-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Hang on, no Im wrong, he wasnt talking just about night...
Theres heaps to do...

Nomad
14-01-2011, 10:09 AM
What is the attraction of malls for goodness sake - someone please enlighten an old fart like me?

For me; it is not just malls, it's the crowd. It's the spotlight, the glitz.

Last New Years Eve, I spent my first in a major city, Queenstown. There was so much people there, but if you travel just couple mins outside it was literally dead. When one tours around NZ, one could make a guestimate of how many people there were in cities or places where they did outdoor activities so it think it applies equally to the locals too.

To me it is being in a happening place. Not just malls, they just want that modern wow factor. Food prices can be expensive here, but some places abroad eating out is a regular thing, some hardly cook due to the food prices and with that mixing with people is a regular thing while in NZ it seems to me that people spend more time in their homes. In some places you have the bright lights, the fountain; the Petrona Towers with its reflection on the water, Times Square, Merlion, the Sydney ferries, even Melbourne's Yarra River but there is activity outside.

Whilst in Wellington along the waterfront, the services are pretty much dead apart from the more pricey pubs and restaurants and one street that is still alive is Courtenay Place (and Vivian St). Wellington even has a reduced hourly bus timetable at night. Take other places and they have 15min public transportations.

gary67
14-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Korori bird sanctuary is Wellington somewhere and then there is the botanics

Snorkbox
14-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Anyone that's bored only has themselves to blame in my opinion. Even if you can't get out and about you can pick up a book, use your imagination and take yourself anywhere you like.

Nomad
14-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Which is why I do a lot of saving so I can go to the South Island and overseas a few times a year keeping a lookout for the specials. It remains thou on a daily basis it is boring here.

For my photography, if you look at top of the league nature photography it is about Mt Cook and Fiordland (and MacKenzie Country for the calm lakes). NZ city photography is just not up there with the rest of the world if you want "impact" if one takes photography seriously.

pctek
14-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Last New Years Eve, I spent my first in a major city, Queenstown. There was so much people there, but if you travel just couple mins outside it was literally dead.

Dead? Peopleless you mean.
Full of more interesting life. And fun.

But I guess some people want to sit around in crowds and drink or whatever.

mikebartnz
14-01-2011, 02:52 PM
You know, I am 65, and I cannot recall a single time in my life when I was bored. Boredom isn't the result of limitations in the place where you live - it is a product of your own inability to make the best of the place and your circumstances.
Very well said. I always found it very sad when my nieces or nephews have complained of being bored when they have so much more accessible to them than we had.
I also have no wish to be around people who complain of being bored.

Terry Porritt
14-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Around 50 years ago my wife and set off very early to walk from Torcross in the Devon South Hams along the cliff tops to the Kingsbridge estuary and then across by ferry to Salcombe, a full day trip with quaint villages, pubs and characters like Miss Pretty John at Hallsands, and a lighthouse at Start Point

Shortly we reached the old fishing village of Beesands around 6 am.

A car load of Londoners had just arrived after driving all night.

" 'Ere ducks, ain't there no life around 'ere? Wot, ain't there no pictcha palaces then? Gawd almighty, this dead and alive 'ole must be the last place Gawd made on earth."

dvm
15-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Boredom is a state of mind not a place - I suggest you think about getting a life.

John H
15-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Boredom is a state of mind not a place - I suggest you think about getting a life.

That is an unnecessarily unpleasant post. I suggest it is you who has a problem.

Trev
15-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I quite agree.
:)

Metla
15-01-2011, 02:02 PM

me 3.

WalOne
15-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Me x4

Digby
15-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I'd soon get bored if all there was to do in Asia was to go out and eat at night.

What about living in say Saudi Arabia, would that be exciting ?

In the USA aside from the big cities (of which there are not that many) most people live in small towns. I wonder if they are boring.

`

Digby
15-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey Nomad

Why not buy a scanner and spend the next 6 months scanning all your transparencies?

My Dad took lots of Kodakrome slides in the 1960's they are all starting to fade now.

Nomad
15-01-2011, 04:00 PM
There is just no buzz factor here. The city's are not world class, the West Coast is but that is not a regular affair. I try to get to the South 1x or 2x and 2x overseas each year. The city buzz is NYC, Tokyo or Shanghai generally speaking ....

If one talks about shopping, I do mine thu mailorder cos it is expensive here, takes clothes which is what people do overseas. The only stores I visit is Kirks, Farrys and Vance Vivian.

I have my own scanner. All film are scanned. I only went back to film recently after going to digital in 2004, now I shoot more film than digital for my serious work. I do a quick scan (2.5 Megapixels abouts) once I get my film processed from the States since it's so expensive here, they cost $30NZ for a roll developed and mounted, plus the film is $25 a roll here, I import the film too. Then after if I want to work on a image further, I take it out and do a high reso scan. I'm looking into going medium format and large format film photography as a treat myself for my birthday for 2011.

I don't shoot much here, cos I am nore into landscapes and city photography (scapes) but Wellington city just doesn't stack up. I'm not into documentary, street or event or sport photography.

There is nothing here. Come back from work, or a bit later, and shops might of already closed, bus timetables become less regular. All shops closed apart from maybe the Courtenay Cental Mall or the Wellington Airport. You cannot even see a travel agent or visit a bookshop. All one could do is join a photography club (I have done), a yoga club, a gym; my work colleagues just go to the bars after work in proximity, the gym, movies or cafe/restaurant. After dinner along the waterfront *other than sit down places* one may even struggle to get a ice cream or coffee if those caravans are not there. One of the more liviest suburbs is maybe Lyall Bay with the beach there with the surfers and walkers....

A lot what I do now is reading stuff off the net re: cuisine, travel and photography. I may do a course in Associate Charted Accountant should I wish to go down that route, I have even toyed with the idea of doing part time study towards a Science degree due to an interest and a self challenge to have 3 undegraduate degrees; the moment I have a Arts and a Business degree.

Nomad
15-01-2011, 04:17 PM
It's not buying stuff or eating stuff. It's the place has buzz and is alive. I don't plan on staying home everynight. Or go out and knowing there might just be a few people. There are places with more people in Wellington at nights but that's pretty much just the bar scene. If one walks down Courtenay Place apart from food and drinks what is there? It's not exactly a family place.

Metla
15-01-2011, 04:42 PM
There is just no buzz factor here. The....

its you.

Buy a motorcycle, it will give you more buzz factor in 5 minutes then a week in all those infested crapholes.

Live a little.

martynz
15-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Nomad said "I may do a course in Associate Charted Accountant should I wish to go down that route"
Now there's an exciting prospect......lol

Ever heard the expression "The grass is always greener"?

Nomad
15-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Nomad said "I may do a course in Associate Charted Accountant should I wish to go down that route"
Now there's an exciting prospect......lol

Ever heard the expression "The grass is always greener"?

The Assoc. qualification does not let you have clients. It's shorter than the std one. You tend to do financial reports etc .. for a larger company that you are employed/contracted for. Anyone can do it even if you had a degree in Linguistics. I have mine in business so a few of the required papers I already did so I may need just 3.

Metla
15-01-2011, 08:18 PM
The Assoc. qualification does not let you have clients. It's shorter than the std one. You tend to do financial reports etc .. for a larger company that you are employed/contracted for. Anyone can do it even if you had a degree in Linguistics. I have mine in business so a few of the required papers I already did so I may need just 3.

I'd stick a gun in my mouth.

God damn, that sounds like hell, the most boring hell any person could imagine.

Cicero
16-01-2011, 06:46 AM
It is all a matter of perception, we all have to find that, that stimulates us, not easy but it must be done, or the result might be boredom.

Trev
16-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Join a club or an organization, get involved in it, get on the committee, make new friends in those clubs organizations. I till you, you will never be bored again.

plod
16-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Get a girlfriend, after a while it will encourage you to find new hobbies

Digby
16-01-2011, 08:47 AM
@Nomad

Thanks for the detailed update.

You are certainly busy.

I have been in NZ since 1965 and if you are bored now, you would have been really bored then.
Shop shuts at 5, none opened on the weekend.
No bars or cafe's just the odd dairy selling pies and the odd diner doing fish and chips.

New Zealand has come a long way in the last 20 years, due I think to the fact the Kiwi's are travelling more now and bringing back ideas, and the government opened up trading hours. And we are catering to our large tourist industry.

We have a street in Tauranga (The Strand on which there are about 20 bars and cafes and 1 shop. 20 years ago there were 20 shops and 2 icecream bars). I imagine most cities have the same phenomenon.

Regarding your slides etc, I am sure I read somewhere on the net recently that Kodak was closing production of some of its film and slide lines.

Nomad
16-01-2011, 09:48 AM
@Nomad

Thanks for the detailed update.

Regarding your slides etc, I am sure I read somewhere on the net recently that Kodak was closing production of some of its film and slide lines.

Kodachrome (K14 process) has ceased processing (end of 2010), film production was ceased about 1.5 years ago which some people hoarded the stuff and ebayed it at a premium price which many are left now with unsold stock and unshot :annoyed: At a time they were really asking like $20US for one roll of film especially the older emulsion of Kodachrome 25. There were still some online last week I think.

Kodachrome labs used to be around the world with ones even in NZ like Elson (across from the Porirua shopping centre). But over time with Fuji Velvia and digital demand dropped. So once upon a time we had to send them to Sydney, which I was still in school hadn't picked up photography then, then it becamee Tokyo, Switzerland and maybe 2 places in the USA. For the last year it was just 1 lab in the USA (Kansas). I shipped mine to Kansas.

Normal slide film (E6) is still available in the world incl NZ although many labs have shut up shop and switched to photo neg film (the brown stuff) - C41. In NZ there might just be a few labs who does E6, many of them just courier them off to other labs to process. With digital, minilab machines have been produced that now only accept digital media like the ones from appliance stores, it used to be that they supported C41 and E6 film.

C41 film is still ok at $6NZ processed not printed. E6 is like $20 processed or $30 if you want them mounted too. A big difference. I just send them abroad now in batches.

Yeah my dad was saying that before, shops closed in weekends. So if you needed a new shirt you had to make plans. Also he tends to complain about the low wage then but airfares overseas were still $2,000 a ticket. Wasn't that you could buy fish and chips for 20c or something back then ........

Digby
16-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Wages are always relative.

But I do think the percentage of our wages that we spend on things changes.
From memory I think it cost me $3.00 to fill my car (Vauxhall Viva - don't laugh) when we went decimal in 1967.

BobM
16-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Digby,
Vauxhall Viva, 12/07/67. 8 gallons Regular = $2.88
'' '' Super = $3.12
Those were the days. lol

Trev
17-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I remember filling up my Suzuki 50 in 1966 and it cost me 3 shillings and 9d. It held just over a gallon of fuel, and that included 2 stroke oil.

Trev
17-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Nomad join a photography club and meet people of the same interests as you. It will also broaden your outlook on photography. Will get you interested in other things to photograph. And I would be pretty sure that most weekends they do field trips to different areas to photograph.