PDA

View Full Version : Sony DVD-rw 4.7 ver.1.1 disks

Knownothing
13-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Guys
I have bought 10 of these disks a while ago.
I have had intermittent success with them.
I have found that it takes Nero v7.9 33 minutes to fully erase these disks.
I have used VSO's ConvertXtoDVD to convert an avi file to DVD and burnt to disk. The disk is finalised.
My DVD player takes an extra long time to load the disk but then spits it out.
My computer, through Window XP Explorer, shows there is nothing on the disk.
When examined physically the disk has a darker area (where data has been burnt) and a lighter area (where data hasn't been burnt).

Any suggestions or reasons why these disks are doing this?

I have 2 Verbatim DVD-RW and they work every time.

TIA
Regards

Mr_Olympia
13-01-2011, 10:40 PM
maybe try the slowest burn speed, might help with errors, ive bought sony discs. cheap. sketchy at the best of times. ive even had some that the platter overextends the burnable area, like the center of the disc, all warped and what not. Also note, some older or cheapewr dvd players have trouble playing generic quality dvd -rw

Agent_24
13-01-2011, 11:38 PM
The darker\lighter areas are normal for all CD-RW\DVD-RW\DVD+RW etc

Some discs are just not compatible well with some drives, especially if it's an older drive which can't burn the maximum speed that the media can handle (and I have only seen this problem with CD-RW not DVD-RW but it could hold true)

For example, I have a box of 24x CD-RW which will NOT burn or write in a burner which only goes up to 4x, but they read in that 4x burner just fine.

If Verbatim DVD-RW work fine for you, I suggest you buy more of those instead.

You could also consider looking for a firmware upgrade for your DVD Writer, sometimes that can help.

Paul.Cov
14-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Or use single-write discs instead of RW. Choosing RW reduces your options and restricts the manufacturers dye options, making issues like this even more likely, and the cost to yourself higher.

Knownothing
15-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your valuable input.
I have a Pioneer DVD RW DVR-218L writer which I bought mid last year.
It looks as though I need to only use Verbatim disks and dump the Sonys.

Are there any free programs that can format RW disks other than Windows XP and Nero ver.7.9?

TIA

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Some programs may format it before it burns to it. So, really there's no need to format it anyway. Altho I dont trust RW cd's or dvd's. I'll rather use + or - blanks.

feersumendjinn
15-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Knownothing
17-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks Guys for your knowledge.

@feersumendjinn
What do you mean please?

feersumendjinn
17-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I was incorrect with my advice, so deleted my post (but one can't post an empty post, so typed a "." to fill the space). ;)

The quote from Ernest Rutherford is my "signature", not an answer to your question.