PDA

View Full Version : Aus/NZ price ripoff - again

Tony
13-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I was in Sydney last week, and my brother and I were in Bunnings looking at drop saws (as you do...), and saw a really nice DeWalt one at $A699. I was in Bunnings in Hillsborough today and saw the exact same one at $NZ1440! Even allowing for the exchange rate that seems a bit steep.

Cicero
13-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I was in Sydney last week, and my brother and I were in Bunnings looking at drop saws (as you do...), and saw a really nice DeWalt one at $A699. I was in Bunnings in Hillsborough today and saw the exact same one at $NZ1440! Even allowing for the exchange rate that seems a bit steep.

Are you sure they were both 12" and sliders?

Tony
13-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Are you sure they were both 12" and sliders?Neither were sliders. Now I think of it, I couldn't swear to them both being 12".

bk T
13-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Not surprised, at all.

Billy T
13-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Factor in the reduced volume of sales here, which limits the level of discounting they can afford, plus the cost of shipping, and it sounds about right to me. For every drop-saw Bunnings NZ sell, Bunnings Oz would probably sell 30 or 40.

There might be a bit of a greed factor built in, but it is a seriously competitive market so they can't push their luck. They won't be making huge mark-ups anyway once stocking costs, including credit are taken into account.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Digby
13-01-2011, 02:58 PM
If its true it sucks.

That's nearly twice as much and they have to pay their Australian staff more !

And its another reason I keep saying we need more people in New Zealand. (Say about 15 million)
That way they would be selling more in NZ and they would not need to make such a large profit on each item.

The Error Guy
13-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Move to china, build a sweat shop. import elcheapo

Everyone is happy (except the poor buggers in he sweatshops)

Tony
13-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Factor in the reduced volume of sales here, which limits the level of discounting they can afford, plus the cost of shipping, and it sounds about right to me. For every drop-saw Bunnings NZ sell, Bunnings Oz would probably sell 30 or 40.

There might be a bit of a greed factor built in, but it is a seriously competitive market so they can't push their luck. They won't be making huge mark-ups anyway once stocking costs, including credit are taken into account.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)Not sure about the cost of shipping - it can't be that different from wherever to NZ as compared with Oz.

bk T
13-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Move to china, build a sweat shop. import elcheapo

Everyone is happy (except the poor buggers in he sweatshops)

The issue here is not with the manufacturing costs though. It's exactly the same item (from the same manufacturer?) but with totally different prices in NZ and OZ.

It doesn't really matter if it is made in China, USA, or any other planet.

wainuitech
13-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Whats the EXACT model of the drop saw ?

Bunnings are not always the cheapest by a LONG shot.

Tony
13-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Whats the EXACT model of the drop saw ?

Bunnings are not always the cheapest by a LONG shot.I'd be pretty sure the NZ one was a DW713 - especially as DeWalt NZ only list that one. I notice that the OZ DeWalt site also lists a DW703, but that is a larger saw, so if it was that one I saw in Sydney, price differential is going to be even more marked.

I wasn't suggesting that was the cheapest available price - just comparing Bunnings OZ with Bunnings NZ.

nofam
13-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Bunnings are not always the cheapest by a LONG shot.

Indeed - value perception is just that - perception. They're cheap where they can be, such as on the budget ranges they import directly.

When you're talking name brands, all the major hardware retailers are they same across the board, give or take some variation when promo's are running.

gary67
13-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Most DeWalt stuff if not made in Asia is made in Mexico.

When I bought my first drop saw it was made by Elu, Elu and DeWalt are both owned by Black & Decker, when they decided to stop the Elu name and switch everything over to DeWalt my drop saw went from costing me 400 sterling to 500 sterling a price rise of 100 sterling and all they did is change the colour scheme from all grey with a blue switch to black and yellow, no other changes were made. This change happened only 6 months after I bought mine

Cicero
13-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Neither were sliders. Now I think of it, I couldn't swear to them both being 12".

You can get a 12" slider for $1400 in NZ, so we need the facts b4 getting to grumpy.

pctek
13-01-2011, 06:33 PM

$479NZ
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:FlZC2jTJWcIJ:www.ullrich-aluminium.co.nz/specials/pdfs/Dewalt_closes25Dec09.pdf+DW713&hl=en&gl=nz&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjpoUd__NN1VT2cOvZh6ZIStgwfK1WlWY_5BOzO FnoCvtMibe_jgFXbfZiII2cKHDTbwsUQ_qnfyd8AN0NNEQYoWu VAXoIvGuGWqrysZZSCCHw7GNNWFahEppLh0uNswrg0geZD&sig=AHIEtbTd4qqMuvpPne4DSpWnsRshu8hrrA

Digby
13-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Yes you have got to be comparing the EXACT same model.

Otherwise you are wasting our time.

And it does not matter where its made if its a DeWalt. I hardly think Bunnings are going to import from different countries to Australia and NZ.

Then you need to go to Mitre 10 and see what their price is.
May be able to beat it by 10% ?
Isn't that what they say ?

legod
13-01-2011, 07:09 PM
And its another reason I keep saying we need more people in New Zealand. (Say about 15 million)
That way they would be selling more in NZ and they would not need to make such a large profit on each item.

I understand your logic but to expect good prices on the basis of a larger population would be very naive.

eg. Britain has about 70 million people. It's not called rip-off Britain for nothing.

What I get irritated by is the fact we have to pay export prices for food we grow and manufacture here. Not only that but the best quality stuff goes overseas and we get to keep the cheap cuts.

Tony
13-01-2011, 07:16 PM
You can get a 12" slider for $1400 in NZ, so we need the facts b4 getting to grumpy.When I'm next in Bunnings, I'll check it out again, and I'll get my bro to check out the Aussie one.

wainuitech
13-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes you have got to be comparing the EXACT same model.

Otherwise you are wasting our time.

And it does not matter where its made if its a DeWalt. I hardly think Bunnings are going to import from different countries to Australia and NZ.

Then you need to go to Mitre 10 and see what their price is.
May be able to beat it by 10% ?
Isn't that what they say ? ( Highlighted) -- Thats what they say all right -- BUT - theres always BUT :D Sometimes a product may look the same, but usually there's a slight difference - I often look at those "deals" and more often than not the two products are packaged by different places - same product, different name -- They ain't stupid :p

Cicero
13-01-2011, 07:32 PM
$479NZ
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:FlZC2jTJWcIJ:www.ullrich-aluminium.co.nz/specials/pdfs/Dewalt_closes25Dec09.pdf+DW713&hl=en&gl=nz&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjpoUd__NN1VT2cOvZh6ZIStgwfK1WlWY_5BOzO FnoCvtMibe_jgFXbfZiII2cKHDTbwsUQ_qnfyd8AN0NNEQYoWu VAXoIvGuGWqrysZZSCCHw7GNNWFahEppLh0uNswrg0geZD&sig=AHIEtbTd4qqMuvpPne4DSpWnsRshu8hrrA

Excluding 15% by the way!

Trev
13-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Bunnings Oz.Here (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_1600w-250mm-compound-mitre-saw_1009.aspx?search=dewalt+mitre+saw).
:)

KenESmith
13-01-2011, 10:29 PM
If its true it sucks.

That's nearly twice as much and they have to pay their Australian staff more !

We can do a very nice line in Muslim "Asylum Seekers" if you want to bolster the population of NZ -
As many as you want -
Pick up from Christmas Island - No charge - yours free as is were is.

Digby
14-01-2011, 06:38 AM
What I get irritated by is the fact we have to pay export prices for food we grow and manufacture here. Not only that but the best quality stuff goes overseas and we get to keep the cheap cuts.

I agree.
Every time farmers get good prices for our dairy products cheese goes up.
Wood is ridiculously dear here in NZ and yet we have tons of it.

I used to wonder why petrol was not dear in Saudi Arabia and Iran (applying the same reverse logic)
But they are government run countries.

But when you think about it, we can hardly sell our poorer cuts of meat overseas, or our cheapest wine.
But I do think that you should be able to buy top quality meat (if you can pay for it)

Cicero
14-01-2011, 06:46 AM
We can do a very nice line in Muslim "Asylum Seekers" if you want to bolster the population of NZ -
As many as you want -
Pick up from Christmas Island - No charge - yours free as is were is.

Where is the logic with these people? they say the holy land is the bees knees, yet can't wait for the first chance to depart.

paulw
14-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Where is the logic with these people? they say the holy land is the bees knees, yet can't wait for the first chance to depart.

That's so that they came get free passage to export their beliefs to the rest of the world and eventually take over the liberal week west..

Tony
14-01-2011, 08:42 AM
That's so that they came get free passage to export their beliefs to the rest of the world and eventually take over the liberal week west..OK, that's it. I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

Cicero
14-01-2011, 09:00 AM
OK, that's it. I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

Oh dear, how will we manage now!

Digby
14-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Every time I mention getting more people here someone gets all heavy and says it must be the "right" sort of people.

Well seeing as how many of the "right" sort of people that is true blue Kiwi's are leaving and have been for the last 50 years, we need to replace them with non kiwis.

To my mind as long as they are qualified in some area, let them in.

(But no muslims.)

Arnie
14-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Countdown now selling Aussie Scotch Fillet cheaper than than NZ produced. They say it is fresh so it would have to be flown in as well. Crazy.

mikebartnz
14-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Countdown now selling Aussie Scotch Fillet cheaper than than NZ produced. They say it is fresh so it would have to be flown in as well. Crazy.
It will be like their tomatoes we import, tasteless and tough.

Cicero
14-01-2011, 05:54 PM
And the swines won't take our apples,or has that changed?

paulw
14-01-2011, 06:50 PM

That's what I hear but when they do take them I'll believe it..

gary67
15-01-2011, 08:17 AM

What a contradiction in terms Ozzie Scotch fillet its either Ozzie or its Scotch? How can it be both unless it went on a big OE for a couple of years, maybe it joined the other Ozzies living under Marble arch for a while in an old Combi van, before heading to Edinburgh for a while. Then travelling back home overland via India to stop off and see a Guru :thumbs:

Digby
15-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Yes I'll believe it when I see the ozzies take our Apples.

I'll also believe it when I see the USA take the beef and lamb we can sell

Those countries (and China and Korea and Japan) always come up with ways to protect their farmers, and why not.

mikebartnz
15-01-2011, 11:05 AM
There is a good reason they won't take them as they wouldn't be able to sell any of the horrible Aussie ones.

namboothiri
16-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi There Guys

They say in their ad "lower prices are just the beginning". I have had a couple of encounters like this before and please don't be surprised, the same with Mitre10Mega as against Bunnings! So as Wainui points out, please let us all be careful and be wise as it is the hard earned money we all spend out in this funny game of needs, necessities and luxuries!

Cicero
16-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes I'll believe it when I see the ozzies take our Apples.

I'll also believe it when I see the USA take the beef and lamb we can sell

Those countries (and China and Korea and Japan) always come up with ways to protect their farmers, and why not.

You say why not, I would have thought if everybody protected there farmers, then nobody would sell anything, can't quite see the logic of that.

Free trade is the only answer, how that is achieved is another matter.

mikebartnz
16-01-2011, 01:20 PM
You say why not, I would have thought if everybody protected there farmers, then nobody would sell anything, can't quite see the logic of that.

Free trade is the only answer, how that is achieved is another matter.
The thing is NZ opened up its trade ( In the failed pig farmer's days) when no one else was so that put us at a very distinct disadvantage.

Cicero
16-01-2011, 01:44 PM
The thing is NZ opened up its trade ( In the failed pig farmer's days) when no one else was so that put us at a very distinct disadvantage.

That is true, the upside of that is, we are the most efficient farmers in the world. or at least in the top end.

The old days rich farmers were subsidised, which was sill to see.

Battleneter2
16-01-2011, 01:57 PM
That is true, the upside of that is, we are the most efficient farmers in the world. or at least in the top end.

A lot of countries like the US and parts of Europe make all sorts of squealing noises about free trade and removing tariffs and subisdies, yet they continue to be amongst the most protected markets in the world.

Long term however there does seem to be a desire to follow up those noises with some action, if it does happen NZ is in a good position moving forward.

Digby
16-01-2011, 05:30 PM

I say because food is the most important thing in the world (after water, beer, women and broadband)

Now is you cant grow your own food you are open to all sorts of problems. Like price rises and wars etc.

Now when it comes to certain foods eg we cant grow banana's or rice.
Tropical countries cant grown apples or cherries.

Then you can export and import.

Cicero
16-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I say because food is the most important thing in the world (after water, beer, women and broadband)

Now is you cant grow your own food you are open to all sorts of problems. Like price rises and wars etc.

Now when it comes to certain foods eg we cant grow banana's or rice.
Tropical countries cant grown apples or cherries.

Then you can export and import.

Sorry about that Digo, I tend to forget you are an economist.

mikebartnz
17-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Yes but because of tariffs etc. manufacturing was subsidised to a far greater extent than farming ever was.

Cicero
17-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Yes but because of tariffs etc. manufacturing was subsidised to a far greater extent than farming ever was.

We are talking of free trade , not what goverments like to distort.

mikebartnz
17-01-2011, 12:19 PM
We are talking of free trade , not what goverments like to distort.
Yes but to quote you "The old days rich farmers were subsidised, which was sill to see." so I thought I would enlighten you.

Cicero
17-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes but to quote you "The old days rich farmers were subsidised, which was sill to see." so I thought I would enlighten you.

That was my point, they started doing the right thing, removing subsidies, but as I said they continued to distort things in the manufacturing sector.

Do concentrate Mikeo.