PDA

View Full Version : Flash disk security problems

weevies1
13-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi much cleverer people than me.
I have important documents on an imation flash disk with security password.
The security files have suddenly taken on strange hyroglifics (have no idea how to spell that) that bear no relationship to any file names.This has happened before with similar type and I have just copied on a new security file and opened. This time there is no space to do so, but attempts to delete the corrupted security files have been met with 'too long file name...cant be done' Have attempted to rename but same answer.
So I am 1 megabite from fixing the problem but can delete or rename to delete.

Is there any thing I can call the corrupted file so it can be deleted? Or any way I can delete it to free up the space? I was actually attempting to open the disk to back up the files
Thanks a zillion for any help you can give

Agent_24
13-01-2011, 10:38 AM
This happens when files become corrupted on the drive

Usually caused if you remove the drive without stopping it first etc.

Quickest way to fix is to run checkdisk on it, it will delete all those weird files that you can't remove manually.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm with Agent_24.

*Always* use the "safely remove drive" function. It's not worth running the risk ;)

Pull all your files off it, format the drive, then copy the non-corrupt ones back... It's about the best you can do.

weevies1
13-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for you help. Did that and as you say it deleted the corrupted files but alas now it has put them in a found folder which I cant delete so now the disk is still too full to install a new security file. Any ideas on getting rid of the folder? I need to install the security programme again so I can access the secure part ..... or else I would just throw it away.

Agent_24
13-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you need to do what Chilling said, copy your stuff off and then just reformat the drive

pctek
13-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Use an external drive, in fact if they are really importnat, use two.