PDA

View Full Version : Desktop boot prob - please read

blanco
13-01-2011, 08:51 AM
My 2Yr old Medion 6486 desktop was bought new with Vista loaded and I updated
to Win 7 a year ago.
All has worked well until a recent shutdown using the front on/off switch.
Since then I have not been able to boot up from the hard drive and thought that
the drive had failed. I have now carefully fitted a new WD 1TB hard drive with
new SATA connector and tried to load windows from my Win7 installation disc
but after selecting a partition configuration I get the message "partitioning" and
after a long wait I get "unable to partition drive, check connectivity etc."
Both drives are SATA 2 without jumpers.
The new HDD model number is shown in Bios at Port 0 but fails to spin up.
DC Voltages on the Sata power plug are +3.35V, +5.08V and +12V. I have checked
the motherboard plugs are secure and don't suspect the ATX PSU because of the
above mentioned Voltage measurements.
Booting into BIOS shows the SATA setting is on AHCI but when I boot up normally
I get displayed "no devices present" and "AHCI BIOS not installed!!", followed by
the usual disk info and PCI listing. When it gets to "verifying DMI Pool Data" there
is a pause then "disk boot failure" > "please insert system disk and press enter"

I have been using a borrowed laptop for a few weeks and would like to get my
desktop PC back in working order. I would be very grateful for any suggestions
regarding the symptoms above. Thanks for your time.

Cellux
13-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Try turning off AHCI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface) mode.

Paul.Cov
13-01-2011, 09:36 AM
What other SATA settings does the BIOS offer?

Possibly the BIOS might not support a TB size drive, but more worrying is your report that it doesn't spin, but let's investigate the other BIOS options first.

If you're trying to load Windows onto it you'll need to be booting off the CD/DVD drive first anyway.

Agent_24
13-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Booting into BIOS shows the SATA setting is on AHCI but when I boot up normally
I get displayed "no devices present" and "AHCI BIOS not installed!!",

That's what shows when it isn't detecting the drive(s)

Disabling AHCI will not help

There is a problem with your cable (data or power) or PSU, or a faulty motherboard.

In this order try: Swap data cables, try a different power plug on PSU, try a different PSU.

blanco
14-01-2011, 05:00 AM
Paul - the sata options are (1)IDE (2)AHCI (3)RAID. I believe it has always been on AHCI. Regarding capacity, the original WD HD is 500GB. New WD HD is 1TB. Both SATA2 Don't think this is a problem. By the way, there were none of the usual audible or visual signs of HD failure leading up to boot failure so I expect the original HD is OK and still loaded with Win7 and all my files.
Regarding the instal of Windows on the New HD- yes, I set to boot from optical drive
but only got as far as partitioning which failed.

Agent- I am using a Newly Bought SATA connector and the Power Connector reads
+3.3V / Ground / +5.08V / Ground / +12V (with the drive connected or not). This makes
me think that the prob is not connections or power related. It appears to be a matter of
recognition/communication between motherboard and hard drive. Both my Pata optical
drives are working.

dugimodo
14-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Do the drives show up correctly in the bios (the right capacity etc) ?
It's possible the sata controller has gone faulty. Do you have access to anything else you can test them in, such as a friends pc or an external enclosure?

Also if you haven't already try disconnecting the old drive while you try and partition the new one. Sometimes a faulty drive connected to a PC can prevent other drives from working, or completely stop a pc from starting in some cases (as in won't POST, obviously you can't boot from a faulty drive)

blanco
14-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Since posting the issue no hard drive is showing up at normal boot.
BIOS setup display reads:
Phoenix Award Bios CMOS Setup Utility

BIOS Standard CMOS Features reads:

Date , Time - correct

> ESATA 1 NONE
> SATA 1 NONE
> ESATA 2 NONE
> SATA 3 NONE

> Drive A NONE (no floppy ever fitted)

Video: [EGA/VGA]

Halt On: [all but keyboard]

Bios Vers: 1.0V(06-29-2007)

Base Mem: 639K

Extended Mem: 2095104K

Total Mem: 2096128K

CPU: Intel(R)
-----------------------------------------------------
Yes, the new drive was tried with the old one removed.
No, I currently don't have a 3.5in external enclosure or
another PC in which to try them.

Agent_24
14-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Agent- I am using a Newly Bought SATA connector and the Power Connector reads
+3.3V / Ground / +5.08V / Ground / +12V (with the drive connected or not). This makes
me think that the prob is not connections or power related.

Well those voltages are OK but it says nothing of the 'quality' of the power.

A faulty PSU could easily send out power with high ripple component which can cause all sorts of havoc and damage to anything connected.

Unless you can confirm ripple is under the permissible levels with an oscilloscope, don't just take those voltages as meaning everything is OK.

blanco
14-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks, Agent. I get your point but I have a gut feeling the prob lies elsewhere.
When I find a solution I will post it on this forum.

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Looks like someone in another forum fixed the AHCI BIOS not installed error by going into recovery console and fixing the master boot record (with fixmbr command)

Agent_24
14-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Agent. I get your point but I have a gut feeling the prob lies elsewhere.
When I find a solution I will post it on this forum.

I assume you already did this but have you tried a new SATA cable in case the old one is broken?

What is the current status of the old hard drive? Does it still work? Have you tried it on another PC?

Looks like someone in another forum fixed the AHCI BIOS not installed error by going into recovery console and fixing the master boot record (with fixmbr command)

"AHCI BIOS not installed" is not an error. It's an informational message shown on some motherboards when the SATA controller is enabled but no drives are detected.

It just means that the board did not load the SATA\AHCI option ROM.

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Well yer I know some people say it means nothing, but one person fixed it somehow by doing the previous post

Agent_24
14-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Where is this post? I would say whoever posted it didn't post all the facts

If the drive was not detected, then he wouldn't have been able to run FIXMBR in the first place, for a start.

pctek
14-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Since posting the issue no hard drive is showing up at normal boot.
BIOS setup display reads:

> ESATA 1 NONE
> SATA 1 NONE
> ESATA 2 NONE
> SATA 3 NONE

>.
Eeek. Why did you switch off with the power switch?
I suspect horrible things may have happened to the MB - although switching off like that normally may only cause Windows corruption.
What is the PSU you have? I'd be changing it, I don't care what the voltages say........

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Search for this error in google, you'll find it

blanco
14-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I always close down using windows but on this occasion used the power button because
the PC had frozen and I was unable to close normally.
The PSU is FSP Fortran Source model FSP300-60 GTN.
What Agent has pointed out re "AHCI BIOS NOT INSTALLED" is worth noting as it will save me going on a wild goose chase for absent or corrupt Bios.
The recovery disc does not run properly so I cannot access fixmbr from it.
Over the next few days I'll get a 3.5 ext enclosure and have a look at both old and new drives using this laptop. I'm expecting them to be ok. I will also do a netsearch for possible fix. No hurry, because all my progs and files are on a 2.5 ext connected to this laptop but obviously I want to fix my desktop as it is only 2yrs old. Thanks Guys.

Agent_24
14-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I assume whatever caused the freeze is probably related to the fault you have now.

It's probably worth noting that while FSP make some pretty good PSUs (design-wise), they sometimes use rather average capacitors in them, although as only 2 years old it may be just fine.

Check out the forum at www.badcaps.net if you want to know more about this.