PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have A Partner?

Roscoe
12-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Do you prefer to call your opposite sex companion a 'partner', or do you prefer to call them what they really are: husband or wife, boyfriend or girlfriend, or perhaps de facto?

I find that 'partner' is very dehumanising in some respects. I wonder if some people use the term because their boyfriend or girlfriend is of the same sex and they feel a little ashamed. Or they might face discrimination.

I am proud to tell the world that I have a wife and never refer to her as 'my partner'.

Perhaps it is just the in thing to do, like so many other sayings, but I prefer to call it as it is. (I was going to say, "call a spade a spade" but she was standing threateningly behind me!:lol:)

Snorkbox
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Most males on here seem to use the term SWMBO. :)

Cato
12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
PC BS.

Give it a few years and you'll hear the term "co-father" or "co-mother" too. :)
"Parent 1" is so much better though.

pcuser42
12-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm single - for now :devil

--Wolf--
12-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Depends who you're talking to I suppose.

The missus also works. :cool:

IMO nothing wrong with partner tho

PinoyKiw
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Nothing more than being PC so as not to offend people. :waughh:

A wife is a wife, girl friend is a girl friend.

Was at the doctors office when last in NZ, my wife was referred to as partner, I said I didn't have a partner, only a wife but the nurse said that they must refer to each of us as partners which is what her managerment had instructed staff do.

Here in Manila, my wife is just that, how is your wife today, usually first names used as well, yada yada yada.

Alex B
12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VSrnkiWaqSQ/TMdBQsCZScI/AAAAAAAAAZI/r7M0LAXkxW0/s1600/forever+alone+face.png

goodiesguy
12-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Single, and fine with it.

People and School think i'm gay Because im single and have no Intention of getting a girl friend.

Goddammit! i'm only 14!!!! and i'm too busy staying up till 2:30am taping re runs of The Drew Carey Show and Whose Line Is It Anyway UK.

Lurking
12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Single, and fine with it.

People and School think i'm gay Because im single and have no Intention of getting a girl friend.

Goddammit! i'm only 14!!!! and i'm too busy staying up till 2:30am taping re runs of The Drew Carey Show and Whose Line Is It Anyway UK.

Good for you.

Came from a small town myself, so it was sport, sport and more sport, got pretty good at it toooo.

Girls came into the picture later on of course, at 21 there were quite a few serious ones.

When we got married in the 60's it was husband and wife, but today you don't know which is which, lol.

Lurking.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Same. No, single and dont need one either. I'm quite happy doing whatever I want, when I want

Paul.Cov
12-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I see a lot of people through my work, and often when the 'partner' word is used I find the gaydar does tend to trigger some suspicions, although often there's other unspoken stuff that also leads to the suspicion before the partner word is used.
There's certainly straight people using the 'partner' word, but it seems disproportionately popular with same sex couples.

I recently had an old school friend say "this is my partner" - only to find he was introducing an Aussie male. Given that I'd always assumed he was straight I was surprised to find how long it took to get used to the reality that he was long-term gay.

I think Partner is an appropriate term if in a solid relationship, as saying girlfriend or boyfriend does not really confer the degree of solidity that the term partner has.

Partner says more than just GF or BF, but is still a step short of spouse.

What I'm most curious of now is whether gay relationships suffer from the same issues that straight relationships are plagued with... insecurities, jealousies, mismatched social groups, anger, mismatched libidos...etc.

Is a long term relationship ever easy?

TideMan
12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, I quite like partner, implying that we share responsibilities.
The wife or my wife sounds like I own her - believe me, I don't!
But I sometimes use it, also SWMBO, depending on who I'm talking to.
If I feel that it's none of their business whether I'm married or not, or whether I'm gay or not, I'll use partner.
But it's not a big deal, really.

user
12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I normally use partner. She is not my wife although we have been together for more than 20 years...

pctek
12-01-2011, 07:20 PM
a 'partner', or what they really are: husband or wife, boyfriend or girlfriend, or perhaps de facto?

If you are living with your loved one (hows that for a better term?) then de facto sounds like some kind of medical experiment.

GF or BF generally means ou are with them but not living with them.

Husband or wife implies you actually married them.

That's why partner is popular.

I live with and married mine.
What I call him depends on the situation. Tonight we called each other %^^%#.

Phil B
12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Partner label came from the poofta section of our community. It's not pc to call them what they are & it just goes to show how stupid the world has got if you can't even call a wife a wife

radium
12-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Partner

Strommer
12-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I am proud to tell the world that I have a wife and never refer to her as 'my partner'.

Same here; a de facto marriage is a marriage. While a de facto marriage is not defined by a certificate signed by a legally appointed official + witnesses, it does signify a long term serious relationship that stands as a marriage in a court of law. To me a 'partner' could be a business partner, dance partner, or whatever, and does not denote a committed relationship of two people living together.

Of course it is personal preference and I can understand why some people do not like the term 'wife' or 'husband'.

Phil B
12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
At the end of the day, it's just a label. Much like your name. It identifies who & what you are

Cato
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I see a lot of people through my work, and often when the 'partner' word is used I find the gaydar does tend to trigger some suspicions, although often there's other unspoken stuff that also leads to the suspicion before the partner word is used.
There's certainly straight people using the 'partner' word, but it seems disproportionately popular with same sex couples.

I recently had an old school friend say "this is my partner" - only to find he was introducing an Aussie male. Given that I'd always assumed he was straight I was surprised to find how long it took to get used to the reality that he was long-term gay.

There are long-term and short-term gays??

Partner says more than just GF or BF, but is still a step short of spouse.

Now here is a question, what's the difference between an unmarried couple and a married one?
The government views "de facto" nearly the same as married, so where does one draw the line of being or not being a spouse?

So what is the point of marriage anyway, moreso if you aren't going to call your wife/husband your wife/husband?

Damn it, I sound christian. :(

The Error Guy
12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I think they use partner because of all the possible relationship satuses that are possible, eg wife/husband, boy/girl friend, guy I live with, engaged etc.

And example would be a mate of mine, his parents are divorced and his mum had a new partner. they are not married and as far as I know have no intention to ever be married. they aren't dating girlfriend boyfriend styles. they are just partners.

I don't see the term "partner" as a demoralising or discriminatory term at all.

pcuser42
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
A wife is a wife, girl friend is a girl friend.

There is a difference between girl friend and girlfriend ;)

Myth
12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Partner. We aren't married - we are in a long term relationship which makes us defacto relationship. I find missus a somewhat demeaning term. She agrees with SWMBO tho lol

Since we in defacto relationship, maybe I should refer to her as defactor?

xyz823
12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Girlfriend. Been going out a month on Friday.

goodiesguy
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM

You poor, poor man. :(

I feel sorry for you :(

Chilling_Silence
12-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Almost always refer to her as "Wife", sometimes "Wifey" when I'm feeling too young to be married, occasionally "SWMBO", but never "partner".

xyz823
12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
You poor, poor man. :(

I feel sorry for you :(

I feel sorry for you! :D

Marnie
12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Better half!! I am j/k, I can go with either term, but I do prefer that my name be used.

I can understand why such a place as a doctor's office has chosen to be on neutral ground when the preferred title isn't clear. But what's wrong with asking what title a person prefers?

It's a similar thing to using the term Ms when one is not sure if it should be Mrs or Miss. I don't like it, but it's become so widespread.

ubergeek85
12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
IMO the term 'partner' fills a bit of a gap, it seems a little awkward to introduce someone as 'this is my long-term xfriend, <name>' - 'this is my partner, <name>' sounds a bit better. My father uses it all the time - he and her have been together about five years now, long past xfriend status, not married though.

I suppose that it is PC to an extent, but I don't mind it a bit. Ye gads, whats happening to me?!

I'm single - for now

I'm not single, I'm riding solo.

johcar
12-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I have a wife and four partners.

The partners are co-directors of a company I own jointly with them.

Like Chill, I never refer to SWMBO as 'partner' - because although she is a partner, 'wife' denotes so much more.... Married since December 1986.

DeSade
12-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I agree with most of the posts here.
I hate PC crap but de facto or fiance etc etc is a pain in the ass.

zqwerty
12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Mop = main other person.

Twelvevolts
12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
'er indoors

Digby
13-01-2011, 01:30 AM
I hate the term partner unless its a business partner.

I had a lady friend and she was my girl friend.

I think all PC is just crap, except that it has made us respect disabled people better (which is good)

"Partner" is just left wing speak.

pcuser42
13-01-2011, 06:41 AM

Lucky you :D

I'm not single, I'm riding solo.

I consider myself single as I plan to change that ;)

gary67
13-01-2011, 06:59 AM
My wife is the organ grinder and I'm just the performing monkey. I wouldn't call my my wife anything other than that I married her and I'm proud of it.

Mind you we have a bit of a role reversal as she works and I am the stay at home look after the house kind of husband until they can sort my shoulder out

Cicero
13-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Same. No, single and dont need one either. I'm quite happy doing whatever I want, when I want

Except getting the leg over.

Cicero
13-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Detest partner term, I am in charge and call her the boss, so I hope that our position is clear!;)

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Seems like those with a husband / wife are generally proud of it, and it sounds more like it's a term used to fill the gap of a relationship status between "xfriend" and "engaged / married". Problem? Potentially, potentially not, it just shows how widespread long-term non-committal relationships are, which isn't specifically a good or a bad thing either way, just a sign of the changing times... Personally, I like it the old fashioned way, man and woman married. Simple ;)

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Detest partner term, I am in charge and call her the boss, so I hope that our position is clear!;)

:thumbs:

I love the days when my wife lets me think I wear the pants :D

That, or you have the saying "I wear the pants, my wife just tells me which to wear" :lol:

sarel
13-01-2011, 07:16 AM
My wife is the organ grinder and I'm just the performing monkey

That's excellent. In fact, SWMBO implies the same.

Married, and I have a wife, not a partner, a wife.

sarel

Cicero
13-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Partner label came from the poofta section of our community. It's not pc to call them what they are & it just goes to show how stupid the world has got if you can't even call a wife a wife

I am with you Phil, apart from the trend today is away from marriage,and it may be a suitable term for people living together,long term.

kenj
13-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I tend to sort out the problem by asking people who use the term "partner" if the mean "Partner as in business or partner as in poofter"

SWNBO should become the universal term. I have 3 SWMBO's. Wife who is the real boss, daughter and grandaughter.

They all twist me round their little finger!!

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Ken ;)

Roscoe
13-01-2011, 07:31 AM

Exactly! They use the term because they are ashamed that they cannot attract the opposite sex.

Almost always refer to her as "Wife", sometimes "Wifey" when I'm feeling too young to be married, occasionally "SWMBO", but never "partner".

I, too, use the term "Wifey" sometimes although it is not a popular choice.

I have a wife and four partners.

The partners are co-directors of a company I own jointly with them.

Interesting to note that the police refer to their co-workers as partners.

I wouldn't call my my wife anything other than that I married her and I'm proud of it.

That's the point I am trying to make. I am married and I, too, am proud of that fact and I want to tell everyone that I am proud.

Zippity
13-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Roscoe - I agree with you 1000 % :)

The term "partner" is just a cop out for the PC Brigade :(

KenESmith
13-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Married 36 years to same woman with no remission for good conduct - We have 3 Adult children ( or they think they are adults, sometimes I wonder), they are all married and so far have given us 3 grand daughters with a 4th due to hatch in June).

There is a big difference between marriage and de-facto,
Firstly if one wants to separate and marry again there is an expensive legal process called divorce, if one tries another partner, then there is the act of adultery, these don't apply to de-facto relationships where one can just move on - perhaps with some claims for division of joint property and costs to support offspring if there are any.

This nonsense is just part of the PC brigades efforts to give same sex relationships some status of respectability, and is an affront to married hetero-sexual couples.

I object to the term partner, I am married with a wife. and when invited to a function and to formerly advise as to whether my partner will be accompanying me to the function, my answer is no, I will attending with my wife

Cicero
13-01-2011, 07:54 AM
.That's the point I am trying to make. I am married and I, too, am proud of that fact and I want to tell everyone that I am proud.

Always remember Pride goeth before a fall.

gary67
13-01-2011, 08:14 AM
and remember the wife should never meet the mistress unless they are one and the same person

Cicero
13-01-2011, 08:17 AM
and remember the wife should never meet the mistress unless they are one and the same person

And what would be the point of them being one and the same?

Paul.Cov
13-01-2011, 08:33 AM

One less set of keys, one less set of bills, fewer names to get confused, less chance of ever being found out, and zero drama when she does find out.

The wife is the one that gets taken for granted and has to fetch your beers.

The mistress is the one you fetch drinks for.

Actually, I wonder if there's more or less nagging from a mistress?

R2x1
13-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Unlike wives, partners do not compel you to have a mother in law.

That can seriously tilt the playing field.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2011, 10:21 AM
That's the point I am trying to make. I am married and I, too, am proud of that fact and I want to tell everyone that I am proud.

Too right! :thumbs:

Snorkbox
13-01-2011, 10:26 AM
The main penalty for bigamy is having two mothers in law as I see it.

Myth
13-01-2011, 10:29 AM
:thumbs:

I love the days when my wife lets me think I wear the pants :D

That, or you have the saying "I wear the pants, my wife just tells me which to wear" :lol:Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Y0I91rubg

Also, whenever I make any inference of "my wife" or "marriage" or "Mr & Mrs <my last-name-here>" within earshot, I soon get the "hoi!!, don't you swear round me :p"

Hence it stays partner lol

Siobhan Keogh
13-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I call my boyfriend my partner because I'm proud of our relationship. We live together and I want to distinguish it from that of a 16-year-old girl with a "boyfriend". Plus de facto sounds stupid. I'd be more likely to say "my de facto partner" or "my live-in boyfriend" than just de facto.

gary67
13-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Some people can't get anything right and just get confused if they do try.

A wife can be a mistress where as a mistress is less likely to be a wife :devil

Cicero
13-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Some people can't get anything right and just get confused if they do try.

A wife can be a mistress where as a mistress is less likely to be a wife :devil

If that is your wife, mention I am looking for a mistress.

Snorkbox
13-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I think a Mistress is usually something found between a Master and a Mattress.

Cicero
13-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I think a Mistress is usually something found between a Master and a Mattress.

That Snork is one of your better ones,,, he he

bluezone
13-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Same here. :D

Roscoe
13-01-2011, 01:32 PM

But when you do find a girl that you are happy to be with then you will most probably be quite willing to do what she wants and to do things her way. Sometimes you are able to do what you want but the joy of being together is that you enjoy being together and doing whatever she is happy doing.

You will find a girl, one day, that you will be happy doing things her way - that is unless you are actively keeping away from girls. So you don't get hooked? Sound a bit implausible to me. I'm certain that you do like girls. So why not?

Billy T
13-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Always remember Pride goeth before a fall.

To me, feeling pride and being proud are two different emotional states. Sometimes difficult to differentiate, and dictated by environment and circumstances.

However, it is fair comment that excessive pride may lead to a fall.

Many a bride, on her husband's pride, a pregnant widow stood.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Yes, it is from Eskimo Nell, shame on you for knowing :D

Snorkbox
13-01-2011, 01:36 PM
"Us husbands are a sorry lot."

So Roscoe, why is the above in your sig then?

Cicero
13-01-2011, 05:42 PM
To me, feeling pride and being proud are two different emotional states. Sometimes difficult to differentiate, and dictated by environment and circumstances.

However, it is fair comment that excessive pride may lead to a fall.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Yes, it is from Eskimo Nell, shame on you for knowing :D

I would find pride in perfection, have not found that yet.

legod
13-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Most males on here seem to use the term SWMBO. :)

Or trouble and strife.:lol:

Zippity
13-01-2011, 06:45 PM
How about "Her Indoors"? :)

R2x1
13-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, whatever the name, a rose - - -
However, since my other half and the Junior Manager are far away, I am going to hie me hence. Pandas are protected, so I'm off to try and bag a brace of Dragons.

Roscoe
13-01-2011, 07:09 PM
"Us husbands are a sorry lot."

So Roscoe, why is the above in your sig then?

It is mostly jest and part reality. We husbands do as we are told not because we are under the thumb ("under the thumb" is the mostly jest) but we do as we are told because we want to please (the reality part) and, for the most part, want to be good boys. I realise that it implies that us husbands don't have too much choice, but that is the fun part of the saying. It is not meant to be serious. We need to have a laugh.:D

I don't consider myself hard done by. In fact I know that in my choice I am very lucky.

Cicero
13-01-2011, 07:12 PM
It is mostly jest and part reality. We husbands do as we are told not because we are under the thumb ("under the thumb" is the mostly jest) but we do as we are told because we want to please (the reality part) and, for the most part, want to be good boys. I realise that it implies that us husbands don't have too much choice, but that is the fun part of the saying. It is not meant to be serious. We need to have a laugh.:D

The humour in that lot eludes me!

We do as we are told so as to make life tolerable.

SP8's
13-01-2011, 08:09 PM
+ 1

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2011, 07:44 AM
It's OK, I know where he's coming from :D

kenj
14-01-2011, 07:53 AM
We do as we are told so as to make life tolerable.

And, in Ciceros case, to reap the benefits of SWMBO Terentia's dowry of 400,000 sesterces?

Ken :thumbs:

Roscoe
14-01-2011, 08:46 AM
It's OK, I know where he's coming from :D

At least you understand the humour, Chill. As you realise, it is not meant to be serious.:)

johcar
14-01-2011, 08:48 AM
At least you understand the humour, Chill. As you realise, it is not meant to be serious.:)

If humour was serious, it wouldn't be humour...

Cicero
14-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Is sucking up permitted?

johcar
14-01-2011, 11:05 AM
If you're talking about 'partners' Cicero, it's not only permitted, it's REQUIRED!

If you're referring to moderators, I understand it's tolerated (and sometimes, advised)....

:D

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I like Corona and Steiny Pure :thumbs:

lordnoddy
14-01-2011, 11:23 AM
We are living in a PC world nowadays which means for people who do not wish to advertise their homosexuality can refer to their Partner as simply that without causing that awkwardness between people. However my Lesbian Sister still refers to her Wife as is. Therefore I conclude - Personal Choice.

lordnoddy
14-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I like Corona and Steiny Pure :thumbs:

Cold on a hot day don't forget!

How many people does it take to open a beer?
None it should already be open when the PARTNER brings it from the fridge!

Cicero
14-01-2011, 11:57 AM
If you're talking about 'partners' Cicero, it's not only permitted, it's REQUIRED!

If you're referring to moderators, I understand it's tolerated (and sometimes, advised)....

:D

Lets hope Rosso gets them in ,was that Steinlger?

lordnoddy
14-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Lets hope Rosso gets them in ,was that Steinlger?

Naturally Brewed Steinlager is called Steinlager Pure - like Speights Summit.

Roscoe
14-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Is sucking up permitted?

As Johcar says, as far as women are concerned, it is required and, of course, very necessary.;)

We are living in a PC world nowadays which means for people who do not wish to advertise their homosexuality can refer to their Partner as simply that without causing that awkwardness between people. However my Lesbian Sister still refers to her Wife as is. Therefore I conclude - Personal Choice.

Poofters who use the term 'partner' are only attempting to disguise the fact that they are poofters, but use of the term may make one suspect that they are poofters. If they do not want to advertise their homosexuality then it is obvious that they are ashamed of the fact and using the term simply confirms what one may suspect. If you're a queer, have the guts to say that you're bent. You don't have to hide it these days.

Digby
14-01-2011, 04:38 PM
We are living in a PC world nowadays.

I hate living in this PC World.

But I'd hate living in a Mac World even more.

goodiesguy
14-01-2011, 05:12 PM
I really want to write on a bit of paper "Political Correctness" and then burn the **** outta it!

Snorkbox
14-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Why don't you then? Have you not yet learned to write or is it nobody will allow you to play with matches?

Cicero
14-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I hate living in this PC World.

But I'd hate living in a Mac World even more.

Why can't people be like us Digby?

goodiesguy
14-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Here is something about Sex Equality, now morphed into Political Correctness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAd_BKAYIAw

QW.
14-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Girl friend. Not living with her so thats what I call her.

Chilling_Silence
14-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Roscoe mate, not sure you needed to be so derogatory about it yeah? Live and let live mate ... Granted you're entitled to your opinions and feelings on the subject, but I still see no need for you to be so crass about it?!

goodiesguy
14-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Roscoe mate, not sure you needed to be so derogatory about it yeah? Live and let live mate ... Granted you're entitled to your opinions and feelings on the subject, but I still see no need for you to be so crass about it?!

Effect's of Political Correctness #1.

There was nothing wrong with Roscoe's comment. He was saying what he was thinking and i find that good.

xyz823
14-01-2011, 09:59 PM
If you're a queer, have the guts to say that you're bent. You don't have to hide it these days.

HAHAHAHA :lol:

One of the funniest things I've read today :D

Roscoe
15-01-2011, 12:01 PM

I suppose it is because I find it extremely difficult to understand how you can feel sexually attracted to your own sex. I was brought up to abhor that sort of behaviour and the term 'poofter' seems to describe that type of person so much better than 'gay.' The latter term is more pc and seemingly makes the act of being a queer seem respectable, which, of course, it isn't.

I have known a few poofters in my time and, in most cases, have found them nice people but that does not change the fact that what they are doing is an affront to normal decency.

A pommie friend of mine told me why he left England. He said that you could be imprisoned for a homosexual act, then they made it a fine, then they made it legal. He got out before they made it compulsory.:D

Twelvevolts
15-01-2011, 12:40 PM
it that does not change the fact that what they are doing is an affront to normal decency.

Oh brother - have you got hang ups, who cares what anyone does if they do it willingly and it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Zippity
15-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh brother - have you got hang ups, who cares what anyone does if they do it willingly and it doesn't hurt anyone else.

And that is the "cop out" answer normally pushed by those wanting to make it legal :annoyed::annoyed:

Cicero
15-01-2011, 01:20 PM
This is worth read Rosso...............

http://www.narth.com/docs/howthink.html

goodiesguy
15-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Twelvevolts = closet gay?

Personally, just the thought of 2 men together in a sexual relationship sickens me.

It is just wrong. I'm not religious, but even the Bible says that it is wrong, and according to "Believers" it is the Truth.

pctek
15-01-2011, 01:37 PM
The idea is rather gross in my opinion, but then I don't have to think about it never mind see so what they might do is their business.

Being rabidly opposed to such people is no different from racism or anything else.

There's enough violence and hatred in the world already without joining in.

The subject is the descriptive term for your loved one, stick to the subject and get off the nastiness.

Terry Porritt
15-01-2011, 01:50 PM
What "sickens" me is the corruption of words such as "gay" by those of a certain orientation, so that virtually all sense of the original traditonal meaning has now gone. :groan:

For example, the modern generation would have no idea of what Bing Crosby was singing about in 1929 in his recording with Paul Whiteman of "Gay Love". ;)

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/rame/COLW149067-3.ram

Here are the lyrics:

The silvery moon finds me alone tonight,
With only thoughts of you;
The little stars are twinkling oh, so bright;
No wonder I am blue.

Like a ray of sun with flaring light,
You have brought the love that's burning;
The happy spell of you now holds me tight;
For you I keep on yearning.

Gay love, with your heart I will play, love,
Until you come my way, love,
I'll be waiting for you.

Your love, is the kind I adore, love,
Something worth living for, love,
Every word, dear, is true.

Your magic arms are always haunting,
Wanting you near to me,
Your fiery eyes are so entrancing, glancing, romancing!

Gay love, won't you promise and say, love,
You will be mine someday, love,
And that you love me true!

Your magic arms are always haunting,
Wanting you near to me,
Your fiery eyes are so entrancing, glancing, romancing!

Gay love, won't you promise and say, love,
You will be mine someday, love,
And that you love me true!

Then there was Frank Crummit sing about a "A Gay Caballero"

The Gay Caballero

Oh I am a gay caballero
Going to Rio Janiero
With nice oily hair,
And full of hot air,
I'm an expert at shooting the bull-eo.................etc

http://www.jazz-on-line.com/a/ramb/DEC38335.ram

It's a great loss to the English language :thumbs:

Cato
15-01-2011, 01:53 PM
It is just wrong. I'm not religious, but even the Bible says that it is wrong, and according to "Believers" it is the Truth.

You know how the story goes...
Back in the day to hide their homosexuality a bunch of them joined the clergy... They ended up raping little boys...

So much for believers...

goodiesguy
15-01-2011, 01:57 PM
You know how the story goes...
Back in the day to hide their homosexuality a bunch of them joined the clergy... They ended up raping little boys...

So much for believers...

+1

Metla
15-01-2011, 02:03 PM
For example, the modern generation would have no idea of what Bing Crosby was singing about in 1929 in his recording with Paul Whiteman of "Gay Love". ;)

He wrote that about his boyfriend.

Greven
15-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Wow this really got off topic. I think of the term partner as describing a relationship that is more serious than boyfriend/girlfriend but not quite at the engaged/married stage.

Gay sex may seem disgusting to us, but we don't have to think about it just like we don't have to think about our mothers having sex. When we meet them in a regular environment, they are regular people just like us & don't go out of their way to tell you about their sexual exploits.

pcuser42
15-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Gay sex may seem disgusting to us, but we don't have to think about it just like we don't have to think about our mothers having sex. When we meet them in a regular environment, they are regular people just like us & don't go out of their way to tell you about their sexual exploits.

Seconded. I knew one of my friends for four years before I found out he was gay. (Unfortunately, that person is no longer a friend, but since then I've made a ton on new friends - mostly female :D)

Metla
15-01-2011, 02:52 PM
just like we don't have to think about our mothers having sex..

Our mothers had sex?

Holy hell, I didn't even realise they had met.

And this is how I find out?...on the freakin internet?

Man, wait until I tell dad.

pcuser42
15-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Our mothers had sex?

Holy hell, I didn't even realise they had met.

And this is how I find out?...on the freakin internet?

Man, wait until I tell dad.

:lol:

gary67
15-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm married, I'm heterosexual and yet I have been to gay parties and have met my share of gay people both male and female. I don't feel threatened by them, I have seen the gay pride mardi gras in Seattle by accident. I was there travelling when it was on years ago. I have an open mind but I still don't think its right and its not normal either, but each to their own as a friend of mine once said look at those gay men it means more girls for us to choose from

Cicero
15-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I was surprised when the thread moved on without much said, after a declaration of homosexuality.

I think only our resident, you can do nothing people,approve of such activity.

The ones that give out prizes for coming last.

Roscoe
15-01-2011, 05:02 PM
This is worth read Rosso...............

http://www.narth.com/docs/howthink.html

Thanks Cissy. A lot to read but well worth it.:thanks

KenESmith
15-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Fifty years ago, homosexual sexual relations were referred to as unnatural acts- and that is an excellent definition because that is exactly whta it is - Unnatural.

I f two individuals wish to wish to engage in homosexual acts - as liong as they are both adults and consenting, then that is their business, as long as their behavious isn't an affront to public decency.

However, lets cut the PC crap, it is not an acceptable alternate lifestyle to most of us, and what is more, to tacitly go along with the argument that there is nothing wrong with explaining it as normal behaviour to immature young people is both irresponsible and morally indefencible.

Roscoe
16-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Fifty years ago, homosexual sexual relations were referred to as unnatural acts- and that is an excellent definition because that is exactly whta it is - Unnatural.

I f two individuals wish to wish to engage in homosexual acts - as liong as they are both adults and consenting, then that is their business, as long as their behavious isn't an affront to public decency.

However, lets cut the PC crap, it is not an acceptable alternate lifestyle to most of us, and what is more, to tacitly go along with the argument that there is nothing wrong with explaining it as normal behaviour to immature young people is both irresponsible and morally indefencible.

My sentiments, exactly! Very well put.

FoxyMX
16-01-2011, 03:42 PM
If I wasn't married I would call my husband my partner, since I live with him. In fact I quite often do call him my partner instead of husband. :p

My brother is in a long-time defacto relationship after a short failed marriage and they certainly don't refer to each other as husband or wife but use the word partner.

If you are living with someone but not married they are obviously a bit more than a girl/boyfriend so "partner" is much more appropriate.

And even if you weren't living together but of a "mature" age it wouldn't sound right to call the other half your girl/boyfriend. :rolleyes:

Getting your knickers knotted because you have received an invitation to bring your "partner" is a bit daft. It is just a quick and easy way to include all versions of whomever you may be seeing or living with at the time, whether husband/wife, girl/boyfriend, defacto partner, same sex partner or even your dog, if that's who lit up your life. :D

pctek
16-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord -- Lev. 1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness -- Lev. 15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination -- Lev. 11:10 -- it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? -- Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

plod
16-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Twelvevolts = closet gay?

Personally, just the thought of 2 men together in a sexual relationship sickens me.

If it sickens you so much, don't think about it. Sounds like somebody is not very comfortable with their sexuality. I can't think of anything more beautiful too watch then a couple of hot chicks going at it hammer and tongs (fingers and tongues maybe)
Well just so you know, I'm not gay but the guy I **** is.

Digby
16-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I agree with you Plod.

I am a red blooded (well cool blooded 60 year old male)

I think gay guys are OK, (funny, witty, artistic, creative) as long as they don't come on to me, but I do think it is not right, and the thought of what they do sickens me.

But its funny the thought of two women going at it, is not so bad.

plod
16-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I agree with you Plod.

I am a red blooded (well cool blooded 60 year old male)

I think gay guys are OK, (funny, witty, artistic, creative) as long as they don't come on to me, but I do think it is not right, and the thought of what they do sickens me.

But its funny the thought of two women going at it, is not so bad.
Not allowed to have double standards, and I have been quite flattered when I got hit by a guy, turned him down politely and the way I see it, if I ever decide to bat for the other team at least I know I have a chance (or maybe he wasn't fussy). It will teach me for being in a gay bar I suppose

Cicero
16-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Not allowed to have double standards, and I have been quite flattered when I got hit by a guy, turned him down politely and the way I see it, if I ever decide to bat for the other team at least I know I have a chance (or maybe he wasn't fussy). It will teach me for being in a gay bar I suppose

Poofs are renowned for their promiscuity, so don't get too excited.

Snorkbox
16-01-2011, 05:06 PM
New Zealand law says we are not allowed to discriminate as to sexuality so do I have to allow Homosexuals to hit on me?

Cicero
16-01-2011, 05:24 PM
New Zealand law says we are not allowed to discriminate as to sexuality so do I have to allow Homosexuals to hit on me?

Yes and you have to enjoy it, by law.

Let us know how you get on.

johcar
16-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Poofs are renowned for their promiscuity, so don't get too excited.

What, and heterosexuals aren't? Tui!

Many years ago (pre-AIDS) I was in San Francisco, backpacking with a mate of mine, and being normal Kiwi lads were looking for somewhere to have a beer (it was the middle of summer and damn hot - especially for San Francisco).

We walked up and down the main street and couldn't see any bar that WASN'T gay. So in the end we walked into a bar called "The Queen Mary" (very obviously gay, just from the name) and sat at the bar. We got hit on, almost immediately, but explained we were both straight (and thirsty) Kiwi lads. From then on no-one bothered us.

The rest of the beers that night were shouted for us by everyone in the bar, including the barman - and the next day one of the customers met us at San Jose (we took the BART out) and shouted us into Marriotts Great America. We rode all the attractions (the roller coaster several times) and had a great time. The only 'string' attached was that the guy who shouted us into the theme park wanted a postcard from the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg Tennessee (which was one of the highlights of our trip) - a very easy thing to oblige.

prefect
16-01-2011, 06:16 PM
From my observations if you were married you wouldn't call your spouse partner I have never heard it anyway with all the married people I know.
Partner is for shacked up, de facto, living in sin etc what ever you want to call it.
So when people introduce their partner to me I just think oh he is rooting it and they are in the same house.

prefect
16-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Do what tarts do when hit on by someone they dont like, make a scene.

Cicero
16-01-2011, 06:19 PM
What, and heterosexuals aren't? Tui!

Many years ago (pre-AIDS) I was in San Francisco, backpacking with a mate of mine, and being normal Kiwi lads were looking for somewhere to have a beer (it was the middle of summer and damn hot - especially for San Francisco).

We walked up and down the main street and couldn't see any bar that WASN'T gay. So in the end we walked into a bar called "The Queen Mary" (very obviously gay, just from the name) and sat at the bar. We got hit on, almost immediately, but explained we were both straight (and thirsty) Kiwi lads. From then on no-one bothered us.

The rest of the beers that night were shouted for us by everyone in the bar, including the barman - and the next day one of the customers met us at San Jose (we took the BART out) and shouted us into Marriotts Great America. We rode all the attractions (the roller coaster several times) and had a great time. The only 'string' attached was that the guy who shouted us into the theme park wanted a postcard from the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg Tennessee (which was one of the highlights of our trip) - a very easy thing to oblige.

Is that why you changed your name to Rawbottom?