PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0

lostsoul62
12-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm building another computer and the last one I tried to build before the RAM blew it up had esata which I think is not the way to go. So now when I pick out a motherboard I will make sure it has USB3.0 and forget about esata. Of course I will buy a USB 3.0 Hard Drive.
http://www.frys.com/product/6173639?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm just double checking because I want to make sure I get it right.

pctek
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
There are no USB hard drives.
There are USB hard drive enclosures of course.

wainuitech
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Of course I will buy a USB 3.0 Hard Drive. There are SATA 3 Hard Drives.

lostsoul62
12-01-2011, 03:51 PM
There are no USB hard drives.
There are USB hard drive enclosures of course.

What does that mean? Everyone I know has an external USB hard drive and I have two of them?

inphinity
12-01-2011, 03:53 PM
What does that mean? Everyone I know has an external USB hard drive and I have two of them?

Technically in most cases the hard drive itself doesn't have a USB interface, it will be a SATA interface with a SATA-to-USB converter in the enclosure.

DeSade
12-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Currently no operating system supports USB 3.0 so the hardware is useless.

robbyp
12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm building another computer and the last one I tried to build before the RAM blew it up had esata which I think is not the way to go. So now when I pick out a motherboard I will make sure it has USB3.0 and forget about esata. Of course I will buy a USB 3.0 Hard Drive.
http://www.frys.com/product/6173639?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I'm just double checking because I want to make sure I get it right.

I wouldn't bother with USB 3 yet, because it is barely supported. I am not sure what you are on about with esata, but connecting a sata external drive to a computer is great, and way faster than a USB one. It is just as fast as an internal drive. You can always get a USB 3.0 card when it is more compatible, but I wouldn't waste my money on it at the moment. I hate USB 2 external harddrives, they are so slow compared to sata ones, I only use them for backups.

jackM
12-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Buy a motherboard with USB 3, you do not pay more, it is expected now. To reiterate what pctek said, USB hard drives refer to the enclosures of externals, you'll be buying a SATA hard drive for internal.

Agent_24
12-01-2011, 05:47 PM
As others have said, External USB hard drives are just a normal SATA or IDE drive in an enclosure with a separate power supply and connected through a USB-ATA bridge chip and its associated circuitry.

USB Flash drives on the other hand are different.

I personally would buy a board with USB 3.0, so that I had it for future use, even if I didn't use it yet.

BBCmicro
12-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Everyone I know has an external USB hard drive

Not me. I started buying USB hard drives when the standard size was 110GB, and eventually got to 5 of various sizes, but they were bulky and cluttered the floor with power packs. They also tended to be unreliable. (Overheating, problems with DC switch)

So I got rid of the lot and bought a pair of eSATA docks. I now have 12 bare hard drives ranging from 500 GB to 2 TB. It's a huge improvement

Terry Porritt
12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I'll second the use of esata docking stations in preference to USB, they are great.

lostsoul62
13-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Currently no operating system supports USB 3.0 so the hardware is useless.

How wrong you are! Where do you get your information?