PDA

View Full Version : Rear Audio Jack not working?

mpc
12-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Hi all,

Just built a new computer.
The relevant components are an ASUS m4a87td/usb3 motherboard, an ASUS 6850 gpu, and an AOC 2346Vwh monitor.

For some reason when i plug the 3.5mm cable from the monitor audio jack to the rear audio jack on the mobo, i get no sound through the monitor's built-in speakers. all drivers and audio enhancements are installed (VIA audio driver with SRS WOW HD audio wrapper). i have set the speakers to default in the control panel etc, yet nothing seems to work.

Currently i have the audio running through the 6850's HDMI, as the the monitor is connected via HDMI anyway. unfortunately, as seems to be the issue for many people, the overall volume through HDMI is very low, and i would much prefer to have it running directly from the audio jack.

Any ideas on possible causes? faulty mobo/monitor perhaps? or a settings issue?

:help:

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2011, 08:59 AM
If youre using HDMI you wont get sound from the 3.5. What version of windows is it?

SP8's
12-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Try plugging in a set of headphones and see if there's any sound

mpc
12-01-2011, 09:00 AM
using windows 7 x64.

so i can't simultaneously run the video card to monitor through HDMI and run audio through 3.5mm?

dpDesignz
12-01-2011, 09:01 AM
If your running windows 7, click on the sound control in the task bar, then click on your device. What jacks does it say it's using?

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
using windows 7 x64.

so i can't simultaneously run the video card to monitor through HDMI and run audio through 3.5mm?

Well you can but the HDMI will be the default sound. Until you change it

mpc
12-01-2011, 09:04 AM
it says it's using ATI HDMI set to default, but even with the 3.5mm cable plugged in and the speakers set to default instead of HDMI, no sound.

if it is the simultaneous HDMI/3.5 conflict, could i connect the monitor to the gpu with a DVI-HDMI adaptor, and then run the audio through 3.5?

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Since you've just built it, did you install the chipset drivers after installing Win7?? I would check out the forum for it

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M4A87TD%2fUSB3&board_id=1

mpc
12-01-2011, 09:34 AM
yep, installed all the relevant chipset drivers on initial installation. i'll test it out with a dvi connection, and headphones when i get home from work, and see if it's a conflict, or if it's something more serious.

thanks for the advice.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2011, 09:39 AM
I dont think its a conflict, its by design. You cant listen to both at the same time

dugimodo
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
You should just have to go into audio devices and set the onboard sound as the default device.I have no HDMI monitor myself to confirm this with but I can see the option to set HDMI audio as default if i did. I have to do this when my USB headphones are plugged in because they take over as default audio device.

8ftmetalhaed
12-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I was able to have my laptop hooked up to my tv with an HDMI cable while the sound was routed to my laptop's speakers. I would assume the same is possible with a desktop by simply disabling HDMI audio or changing the default device.