PDA

View Full Version : Fax 0 or not with Windows 7 Professional

R.M.
10-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi all - I have been messing around for the last hour trying to send a fax from my 'puter, running the above OS.

I have a feeling I should be able to do this - but run into bother when it tells me:
'There are currently no modems installed on this computer ....., you need at least one modem installed'.

Would someone give me some hints about this? I am trying to buy some software, and don't want to email my credit card details. The company (in USA) gives me the option of ringing (too long a queue) or faxing to take advantage of their 'loyalty' discount.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2011, 06:41 PM
You need a fax modem to use that windows program. Thats how you send faxes. Is there a fax modem in the case?

R.M.
10-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Short answer - no.

R.M.
10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, I used to be able to, in XP Pro - which is why I asked the question. My gear is otherwise fairly similar....

Any other suggestions - as how to do this?

pcuser42
10-01-2011, 07:33 PM
If you have a multifunction printer, can that send faxes? That may be how you were doing in XP.

R.M.
10-01-2011, 07:36 PM
No - I don't. And it DID work (sending faxes, that is) - not that I used it all that much.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Hmm is this the same system you used with XP (Did you do a clean install of Win7)? Or is it a completely different system?

R.M.
10-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Clean install of Windows 7 - new 'puter, but the peripherals are all the same. In other words, I didn't have a dedicated fax machine then - just did it through Outlook (XP I think). I'm using Outlook 2010 now.

A thought - I might have still been on 'Dial-up' when I was able to fax through Outlook - if that makes a difference.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2011, 08:33 PM
If you were on dialup there would have been a modem / fax modem in the case. Dont think you can fax from within OE. Unless you use some 3rd party service / company to do it. And you'll have to pay for it

wainuitech
10-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Outlook 2010 does apparently have a fax option --No modem needed --theres a catch ( aint there always) :D you have to sign up with a provider -- Have not tried it but the options are there.

Open Outlook - next to New Email, is another box, New Items - More items/ Internet Fax - if you click on that, it will tell you that you need to sign up with a provider - click OK, and a list of providers will appear clicked in Interfax (thats as far as I went).

The other option is to install a modem, or even use a USB external modem (just put one in tonight on a customers W7) worked real nice :)

mzee
10-01-2011, 09:58 PM
You need a fax modem connected to your phone line to send s fax. If your computer has a modem & you have installed W7, the chances are that W7 can not find a driver for your old Modem, mine couldn't. Easiest solution is to get a Dick Smith USB fax modem, needs no driver, just plug it in. The USB modem is for Vista, but works fine with W7. I send several fax a week.

mzee
10-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Dick Smith Product Code: XH1176 56k modem.

R.M.
11-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just find someone with a fax machine!:clap

pctek
11-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I am trying to buy some software, and don't want to email my credit card details. The company (in USA) gives me the option of ringing (too long a queue) or faxing to take advantage of their 'loyalty' discount.

WHy not ask someone with a CC do do it for you? Then you pay them.

Lurking
11-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi all - I have been messing around for the last hour trying to send a fax from my 'puter, running the above OS.

I have a feeling I should be able to do this - but run into bother when it tells me:
'There are currently no modems installed on this computer ....., you need at least one modem installed'.

Would someone give me some hints about this? I am trying to buy some software, and don't want to email my credit card details. The company (in USA) gives me the option of ringing (too long a queue) or faxing to take advantage of their 'loyalty' discount.

Hi R.M. have to do a lot of Faxing for WINZ requirements, tried wife's W7 machine's Outlook and got to the stage where it needed the full Office suite, stuff that!!

Had a new board put into this XP machine and they stuck a Soft V92 Data Fax Modem into it for "free" and we use MightyFax paid software (no longer available) to send/receive faxes. Think it's called RKS now. Cost us $us20. from memory.

Still have to tickle it a bit, especially the Receive mode, it's always after the string details, even when it's been set to auto.

Lurking.

R.M.
11-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Again - thanks for the helpful comments. I spoke to someone at work today, and they offered to send the fax for me. Now all I need is confirmation that it has been received - and that will hopefully happen through the night.:)

mzee
11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I used Mighty Fax for years with XP, but its driver was not compatible with W7. Mighty Fax changed hands and is now called Essential Fax and is compatible with Vista and W7. It remains much the same, a few improvements. And no, the serial number for Mighty Fax is not accepted by Essential Fax.

W7 has a Fax built in, but I find Essential Fax much more user friendly.

R.M.
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
W7 has a Fax built in, but I find Essential Fax much more user friendly.

Does that work with broadband?

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Every version of Windows from XP has had a fax program. I used to use Winfax. Its somewhere here on CD. And no it probably wont work with broadband. You'll still need some kind of fax modem

Snorkbox
11-01-2011, 08:03 PM
You can get a PCI Fax/Modem compatible with Win7 for about $35

Agent_24
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Why not just use the modem from the old PC?

Speedy Gonzales
11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
True if win7 doesnt have a driver, check windowsupdate. It'll probably find one.

I had a similar prob with Win7 x64 with an Intel modem, since Intel decided to remove the drivers from their site I had to look for one. Which wasn't easy (since it had to support x64). I found a driver , tested it (it passed). But didnt connect it to the phoneline to see if it actually dialled out