PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Dentist

Cicero
10-01-2011, 05:34 PM
This could be handy for those with problems going to the dentist.............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12137810

Lawrence
10-01-2011, 05:57 PM
But your Dentist maybe a Arse---- and play King of Pain"...by the Police

Cicero
10-01-2011, 06:14 PM
But your Dentist maybe a Arse---- and play King of Pain"...by the Police

You all right lad?, I think we might be talking about something else?;)

Lawrence
10-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Heard it tonight on Radio NZ and I would say most don't like the sound as it takes you back to when you are about 6/7 years old.

My dentist has a LCD screen up toward the ceiling ,I said is it for watching video's while he is working?,no it was for when clients wants to see what he is doing (not live while inflicting pain though)

Billy T
10-01-2011, 07:10 PM
The device is similar to noise cancelling headphones, but while they work on analogue technology - using resistors to suppress low frequency sounds - this device is digital.

The BBC got the story all wrong though. Noise cancelling headphone technology is not analogue, it is digital and always has been, and it does not "use resistors" to suppress LF noise, resistors are non-frequency dependent anyway.

The dental equipment may have its response fine tuned to the frequency band of a dentist's drill, but in the end any cancellation will be partial only, and bone conduction to the inner ear (via the jawbone and skull) would be largely unaffected,

Noise cancelling technology only works effectively on the aural (acoustic) pathways and relies on anti-phase sound waves to cancel the unwanted ambient noise.

I use Bose NC headphones when flying and they make a huge difference, but if I rest my head against a hard window surround the apparent noise level increases significantly through bone conduction.

I suppose they could build a noise cancelling helmet though, with multiple tranducers pounding away on your skull. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Trev
10-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Anyway they now have laser technology for drilling into teeth. Guess what, no sound. Mind you it doesn't work on amalgam filled teeth.
:)

The Error Guy
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Ah, good to read a professional "knows what he's talking about" billy.

Ever interested knowledge sponge has topped up for today.

As for teeth, so far so good. i'll come back when they start ripping them aout :D

pctek
11-01-2011, 06:24 AM
The sound of the drill??!!

I have dentisit phobia.
It sure isn't the sound of the drill.

There's a bunch of things, not in any kind of order:

The sounds of others screaming(I heard that once, some kid they had in there, the excuse was they'd had an accident and needed extensive repairs - so?!! Give the kid some pain killer!)

The chair - that they lower until you're lying under the glare

The stuff they do to you

Local anasthetic

The cost

Cicero
11-01-2011, 06:30 AM

The cost

Unfortunately, a lobotomy is the only cure for this.!

R2x1
11-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Lobotomies are possibly effective, and very useful in their place, but consider the after effects - - can we use all these extra trained politicians that will arise for every wisdom tooth extraction or root canal procedure? Remember, there is already a vast surplus of Bellamy entitled dodgy drongos.

Cicero
11-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Lobotomies are possibly effective, and very useful in their place, but consider the after effects - - can we use all these extra trained politicians that will arise for every wisdom tooth extraction or root canal procedure? Remember, there is already a vast surplus of Bellamy entitled dodgy drongos oh and of course 12v.

I have to agree entirely.

Billy T
11-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Good to see that the BBC changed their story to get the technology correct. I bet some journalist got a kicking for the cock-up too.

Now it is factually correct, though the benefits may be a little overstated.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
The sound of the drill??!!

I have dentisit phobia.
It sure isn't the sound of the drill.

The cost

I'm not afraid of the drill noise either.. but certainly the price scares the bejesus out of my wallet!

Billy T
12-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not afraid of the drill noise either.. but certainly the price scares the bejesus out of my wallet!

Shlt! Is that noise the drill?? :eek: I always thought it was my bank account screaming in the distance. The dentist is only 500m from my ASB.

Spent nearly $8000 this year getting cracked and broken teeth from a long-ago car accident fixed. Would have been more if ACC hadn't finally caved in after years of arguing and agreed to pay for one implant!! It took many years for the full damage to show. I took out a GE Money 12 month interest free loan (usually 20%) and made the last payment a week before they were due to add the interest then closed the account. They were remarkably civil about it too. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
How interesting... for me the dentist is actually in the same building as the bank... Coincidence?