PDA

View Full Version : FBackup

Pato
10-01-2011, 03:10 PM
I want to try another backup program. (Not the windows 7 program.)
I see that FBackup is suggested but read that FBackup is not recommended for disk image backup and it doesn't do an incremental backup.
Do I really need this.?
I really want to have a backup should my hard drive die, so what do I need to backup to get me going again.?
Can someone explain in terms that an old fellow can understand please.?

gary67
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
That's right it backs up by folder if you want to create an image why not try as suggested before active@

Pato
10-01-2011, 03:36 PM
That's right it backs up by folder if you want to create an image why not try as suggested before active@I thought you were having trouble with active@.?
My idea was to backup an image and then do incremental backups, but do I need to do this. I am really not sure what I need to backup and how to tackle it.

CliveM
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Casper.6 makes an exact image. Subsequent runs on the same settings only copy over what has changed. First run takes say an hour (depends on size) supsequent runs take 5 or 10 minutes. Makes it real easy to keep an up to date image disk ready to go should it be required.

gary67
10-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Nope no problems only that it can't do incremental on schedule only full images. I usually make an image then only make another one if I change any software. I don't bother with incremental any more.

I back up my documents folder and my .PST for Outlook as folders using syncback free as I can then browse them from any computer.

So C drive (OS drive) I image

D drive (data drive docs, music etc) I back up each folder as is (not imaged)

Pato
10-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Casper.6 makes an exact image. Subsequent runs on the same settings only copy over what has changed. First run takes say an hour (depends on size) supsequent runs take 5 or 10 minutes. Makes it real easy to keep an up to date image disk ready to go should it be required.Haven't heard of that one, I will have a look at it. It sounds as though it might be idiot proof and ideal for me, LOL.

Snorkbox
10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Haven't heard of that one, I will have a look at it. It sounds as though it might be idiot proof and ideal for me, LOL.

Apparently Casper 6 costs $49.95

Pato
10-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Apparently Casper 6 costs $49.95Yes, I see that. After being disappointed with Acronis 2011, I don't really want to purchase another program unless I am sure it will meet my needs.

wainuitech
10-01-2011, 06:09 PM
That casper -- Personally didn't like it when I tested it.

You have to have a HDD that it can clone the drive to, which means it has to be attached somehow. While you can have a USB drive, as I tried it, it said it copied OK, and it appeared to, but when trying to use it as Quoted from their site:
a backup created by Casper can be tested immediately after its creation by simply configuring the computer to boot from it – completely eliminating any worry about the integrity of the backup. - had not worked. (tried it twice).

The fact that it cant do a backup over a LAN as well is hopeless. No real point in to doing a backup to the same PC, even if on a separate drive (USB or internal). If the PC shorts due to a power surge, or is stolen, then the backups gone as well. While people do backups to USB Attached storage, how many actually remove the drive to a safe location - not many.

How gary wrote it in Post #5 is good - a full image takes a while sometimes, but backing up files/folders that change a lot is quick.

I have the same -- I use WHS to backup several PC's every night - takes approx 2-3 minutes, and do secondary backups with fBackup as well of documents that change all the time etc, all to a server(s) in the workshop, all completely automatic -- Never have to touch a thing.

wainuitech
10-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Just adding to the above -- FBackup, the free version has limited features.

If you wanted all the features as well as incremental backups, then you have to purchase the professional version, called Backup4all (http://www.backup4all.com/) -- there are several different paid versions - Comparison of versions (http://www.backup4all.com/en/compare-products.html) You would need the Pro version for Incremental options ( under Feature Group: Backup Types)

Pato
10-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks once again wainuitech for your usual helpful and informative advice. I dismissed Casper when I had a look at it. I am never quite sure what I should backup to be of use should the hard drive die on me. I think I will go with Garys Post.

gary67
10-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Well if you have an image of the C drive you can image that back to a new drive as well as anything else on the C.

The only reason I do data by folder is I have multiple computers and am often transferring stuff between them so it's easier to do from one central source, namely my backup computer running XP with backed up data on a seperate HDD