PDA

View Full Version : Serial ports and Dos Machines

mask77
10-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Im trying to figure out how to build a computer to run a very old engraving machine which runs on a Serial port and in Dos. Ideally I would like to run a win95 machine but I don't know how possible that would be without actually finding a very old computer.

I have found the most motherboards these days lack a serial/com port, but there are still some around. I have been told, however, these serial ports aren't "true" serial ports and may give me problems running my old equipment. Anyone have any knowledge in this area? Any idea's on what I could do?

Thanks. :confused:

nedkelly
10-01-2011, 09:59 AM
You could look on trademe for an older pc, I have seen a few on there that would run it perfect

icow
10-01-2011, 10:04 AM
You could look on trademe for an older pc, I have seen a few on there that would run it perfect

+1 trademe is your best bet. Even if you could find a new mobo then chances are its not going to support 95. Some stuff doesn't even support xp anymore.

mask77
10-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I just don't know how reliable those old PC's are. I have been running the engraving machine on a computer that runs XP but it recently broke. That why I'm wondering about new motherboards and whether they have "true" serial ports.

Terry Porritt
10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Probably not a good idea to get an old machine. It would be best to fit a serial PCI card, and probably have a dedicated HDD with MSDOS 6.22 loaded onto it.

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA21504

Billy T
10-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I have standard serial and parallel ports installed on my new computer and they work fine under XP-Pro so you may be ok running the DOS software as well. For some strange reason the serial port comes up as Port 4 not Port 1, but that is no problem.

One DOS program runs quite normally but I do have problems with another DOS instrument software program so I intend to set up a virtual machine using W95 or possibly WFWG3.11 in due course.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mzee
10-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I use "Dos Box" a free Dos emulator to run my Dos software on,
"Professional file" & "Neo Paint".
This is running on Windows 7 Professional. As already mentioned you can add a Serial port card. You may be able to use a serial to USB adapter.

feersumendjinn
10-01-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.nwequipmentsales.com/shop/products.php?category_id=13
http://www.google.com/search?q=new+486+motherboard&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

chiefnz
10-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Im trying to figure out how to build a computer to run a very old engraving machine which runs on a Serial port and in Dos. Ideally I would like to run a win95 machine but I don't know how possible that would be without actually finding a very old computer.

I have found the most motherboards these days lack a serial/com port, but there are still some around. I have been told, however, these serial ports aren't "true" serial ports and may give me problems running my old equipment. Anyone have any knowledge in this area? Any idea's on what I could do?

Thanks. :confused:

Heard you fixed it... RAM issue was it?

chiefnz AKA IT9

Terry Porritt
11-01-2011, 10:49 AM
If you want a dedicated machine to control the engraver, then installing something like XP just to run a DOS box is a bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Also getting a new 486 board seems a bit expensive and retrograde, can't see the benefits in that compared to getting a decent more uptodate computer.

MSDOS will run on anything, either 6.22, or you could install DOS7 from a Win98 disk.

For interest, I just installed DOS 6.22 on a SATA drive plugged into an e-sata docking station, having first made a 1GB partition with FAT32. That boots up ok despite some people according to Google having problems with that.

Agent_24
11-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Is SATA\AHCI enabled on your eSATA drive? or just running IDE emulation mode?

Terry Porritt
11-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Ah yes of course, running IDE emulation mode, so I suppose one would expect dos to run ok :)

gary67
11-01-2011, 01:07 PM
My GPS uses serial to talk to the computer as does my Step sons Picaxe programming chip so he has just got some serial to USB adapters which I will try as soon as they arrive, as I need to be able to connect the GPS to my netbook occasionally when I'm away from home

Terry Porritt
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM

This time I enabled AHCI via registry and BIOS and MSDOS 6.22 still loads ands runs OK on a SATA drive. :clap

One small problem was the computer seemed too fast to run Memmaker, it kept rebooting too quickly before the changes had been made, so memory optimisation would need to be made manually.

Agent_24
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
That's interesting. Perhaps DOS is so old it ignores the differences and works anyway?

I think your reboot problem has something to do with new HDDs with large caches, the cached data would not be written to the platter before the power went off.