PDA

View Full Version : DVD Drive missing

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I've had my windows 7 machine for just under a year now and today the dvd drive just won't show. It was fine this morning and then I burnt an ISO file using Nero (I've done this before with no problems so don't think it's the cause) and whn I next went to do something on the PC my DVD drive was missing, it doesn't show in My Computer or even in device manager.

Any help on how I could get it back would be greatly appreciated.

wainuitech
09-01-2011, 02:57 PM
First thing, boot into the BIOS ( normally keep tapping the Del key on startup) or it will say briefly on the screen what key to press to enter setup / Bios -- Look to see if the drive is detected by the motherboard.

If it is, boot the computer normally, then run system restore back to yesterday or the next day. See if it will show the drive after that.

To enter system restore, click start, type in restore, select system restore from the results, follow on screen instructions. if the restore point it suggests is todays, then select - show other restore points ( words to that effect).

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 03:26 PM
First thing, boot into the BIOS ( normally keep tapping the Del key on startup) or it will say briefly on the screen what key to press to enter setup / Bios -- Look to see if the drive is detected by the motherboard.

If it is, boot the computer normally, then run system restore back to yesterday or the next day. See if it will show the drive after that.

To enter system restore, click start, type in restore, select system restore from the results, follow on screen instructions. if the restore point it suggests is todays, then select - show other restore points ( words to that effect).

Wasn't sure where to look in the Bios to see igf the drive was detected, it all looks a bit different to my XP machine, so in the end I looked at the Boot preference sequence, the 2nd option was for an aptami cd drive, which isn't what I have, I have a Super Writemaster, so I don't think it is detected in Bios, but I can't be sure. I did a system restore anyway but that hasn't resolved the problem.

It's all a bit weird it was working fine and then suddenly stopped being detected halfway through today.

I was hoping to do some back-ups today onto dvd but can't now and I'm off on holiday for a few days from Tuesday so would like to be able to fix it before then so I can complete the back-ups.

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Most dvd's / cd's are atapi drives / devices in the BIOS. It doesnt normally list the brand/model in the BIOS. Only device manager. Only other reason its missing is you've installed some cd writing program, like Roxio programs, even Itunes I think can stuff it up. What CD authoring / writing programs are installed, besides Nero

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Most dvd's / cd's are atapi drives / devices in the BIOS. It doesnt normally list the brand/model in the BIOS. Only device manager. Only other reason its missing is you've installed some cd writing program, like Roxio programs, even Itunes I think can stuff it up. What CD authoring / writing programs are installed, besides Nero

I can't think of anything I've installed between the time it was showing and when it disappeared, Nero is the only dvd writing software that I've installed. I did re-install iTunes but that was a few days ago and it's been working fine since I did it, I didn't install/delete/change anythiung that I'm aware of today between the time it was detectable and the time it disappeared.

Is there any easy way to get it back?

Agent_24
09-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd replug the data and power cables for the DVD drive, they may have become loose or had oxidization buildup causing failure

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2011, 04:04 PM
This may or may not apply (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116/en-nz)

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
This may or may not apply (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116/en-nz)

I've tried running that but it won't install 'cos it says it's.dll is missing from my computer, and I've got no idea of what is missing to try and search/install to make it run :(.

Agent_24
09-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Doesn't it say a specific DLL filename?

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Nope just says "its .dll file) is missing from your computer, then when you click past that it gives another message saying that a runtime error has occured.

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Sorry, just realised it lts.dl, not Its.dll i.e. it's an L not an I! I'll have a look for that.

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Is anyone able to tell me the best way to find and install the miossing lts.dll file, I found it on a few sites but most are registry fix software sites and I just want to be sure that I am only downloading what I need.

Thanks

wainuitech
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Did you run system restore back to when it was working ?

Thats what its for - you can muck about for ages trying to replace this or that file, change reg keys manually and get nowhere, where as restore has a better chance of fixing it. May not fix it, but wont hurt.

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Did you run system restore back to when it was working ?

Thats what its for - you can muck about for ages trying to replace this or that file, change reg keys manually and get nowhere, where as restore has a better chance of fixing it. May not fix it, but wont hurt.

Yes I tried a system restore - didn't work.

Alex B
09-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I've tried running that but it won't install 'cos it says it's.dll is missing from my computer, and I've got no idea of what is missing to try and search/install to make it run :(.

Do the manual reg edit it talks about on that page.

mzee
09-01-2011, 06:34 PM
The first thing I would try is to put a boot CD (installation disc, Linux etc) into the "missing" drive and see if it boots. If it does, this will show that the drive is seen by Bios and is in working order.

If it doesn't, go into Bios and check if its there and if it is set 1st Boot.

Then I would go into Windows 7, Start, Administrative tools, computer management, disk manager. See if the drive has a letter allocated to it, if not, right click on that drive and allocate a letter to it.

I have had this problem before with W7. I usually set the CD/DVD to Z, keeps it out of the way.

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Do the manual reg edit it talks about on that page.

It only talks about reg edit for Vista or XP, I'm running Windows 7 and it doesn't give any steps for reg edit for windows 7.

Alex B
09-01-2011, 07:06 PM
It will be the same as vista.

wainuitech
09-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Try this, Click start, type in CMD - RIGHT click in in the results / Run as administrator - when it opens, type in sfc /scannow <press Enter> once finished, reboot, see if th drive is there or still missing.

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
The first thing I would try is to put a boot CD (installation disc, Linux etc) into the "missing" drive and see if it boots. If it does, this will show that the drive is seen by Bios and is in working order.

If it doesn't, go into Bios and check if its there and if it is set 1st Boot.

Then I would go into Windows 7, Start, Administrative tools, computer management, disk manager. See if the drive has a letter allocated to it, if not, right click on that drive and allocate a letter to it.

I have had this problem before with W7. I usually set the CD/DVD to Z, keeps it out of the way.

It won't boot from the disk, it doesn't recognise the disk, I changed the order to boot from the dvd drive first but it still bootd from the hard drive.

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
It will be the same as vista.

Tried the reg edit, still the same :(

wainuitech
09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
It won't boot from the disk, it doesn't recognise the disk, I changed the order to boot from the dvd drive first but it still bootd from the hard drive. Always possible the drive has died. Dont spose you have another Drive you can plug in to test.?

Does the CD you tried to boot from, boot from any other PC ( if you have another) ?

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Try this, Click start, type in CMD - RIGHT click in in the results / Run as administrator - when it opens, type in sfc /scannow <press Enter> once finished, reboot, see if th drive is there or still missing.

Just tried this - still the same...

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Always possible the drive has died. Dont spose you have another Drive you can plug in to test.?

Does the CD you tried to boot from, boot from any other PC ( if you have another) ?

I guess it's possible, it was working fine this morning and the gree light still flashes when you put a disk in, it just doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

I don't have another drive, my old XP computer died a complete death a few weeks ago, so don't have another drive or another pc to test.

Saint Huck
09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all your help everyone, I'll take it bak to the place I bought it tomorrow and get them to have a look at it, it's still under warranty.

Saint Huck
10-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Well I turned my PC on this morning and the disk drive was back, very strange as I had been rebooting it after every solution I tried yesterday and it didn't work. And yet it was fine and back to normal this morning!

Thanks again to everyone who tried to resolve the issue for me.

Agent_24
10-01-2011, 09:43 AM
I would check the cables for the drive in that case